cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being paranoid? Appalling download speeds since MAC req

N/A

Okay, so maybe I'm just so distrustful of Plus now that I'm seeing conspiracy where there is none, but ever since I requested my MAC code yesterday and had a moan on here my download speeds have plummetted

And I'm not just talking about the peak times either.

I've just done some tests downloading a file from both Download.com and Filerush and neither has got above 4k per second? I checked Usenet (Newshosting usually comes down at 220k at this time - it's managing around 80k)

I've read things about people being put on traffic management when they request to migrate but thought that was just people who were already managed or had been warned or whatever - I've had nothing, in fact I've barely used my account at all this year as I've been out of the country for 7 out of the last 9 months!

:shock:
15 REPLIES
N/A

Do you have your MAC yet?
N/A

Yeah, and used it - it was around the time I used it that my problems started...
N/A

Is your exchange red/amber?

I've got my MAC and I'm maxing my http, can't say much for p2p though - 4k - 20k Sad Don't use usenet, so no help there ...
N/A

look at it this way you will not have the issue for much longer Cheesy
N/A

How do I check if it's red/amber?

And yeah, I know it's not for much longer, but I will be seriously pissed off if they're restricting my service cos I'm still paying for it!

Have raised a ticket, but no reply yet...
N/A

JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

I've had a quick check for you, and it would seem that your exchange is currently showing Red on Virtual Paths, which means that you could see some slowdown at busy times.
N/A

Yeah thanks, I just checked it via the links Richie gave...

It says ETA to be fixed 23rd September thoughHuh
N/A

"Marty! we need to go Back to the Future!!!" :lol:
LiamM
Grafter

Just to point out, this kind of slowdown will be experienced no matter what ISP you go with. It's an issue with BT's network into your exchange not having enough capacity.
N/A

Well it sounds like they're planning to fix it at least, even if the ETA for the solution was over two weeks ago :lol:
N/A

Actually I just checked my exchange on both the links Richienation provided...

The Plusnet one says:

"VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Red."

But the Samknows one says:

"VP Status: Green.
VP Ugrade due: None Planned"

So who do I trust?
N/A

Trust no-one *er wheres the ninja smiley??*
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

Its possible that both of the sites are a little behind on updates, as BT aren't always the most timely people in getting out this kind of update. Checking the SamKnows page shows that the data was last updated at the end of August, where as the Usertools site was updated a little more recently.

As for BT carrying out the work, its possible that the work the had schedualed for that date didn't fully resolve the issue, or it turned out to be a different problem to what they were prepared for. There are several different reasons why the problem might still be present.

@richienation: The ninja smiley is around, but his ninja powers have increased so he's better at hiding now.