cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being fobbed off by support?

N/A

Am i being fobbed off here?

I have recently set up my parents with plus.net they have gone for the 15quid a month capped 2gig download with a 2mg link.

My grip is my £23 contract is 1mg? I have since moved house and I could probably spit on the exchange from my new house yet I still have 1mg? (my aprents are further) Surely this is just a reprovision of the 1mg with BT? I have raised a query and the response was BT said the line wouldn't support speeds greater than 1mg. In order for me to get a 2mg I have to supply signal to noise ratio of the line (SNR)Huh?
ok i am a network engineer but my Linksys router isn't capable of supplying such stats (well not in the browser anyway) they referred me to the forums for help. I am starting to get really frustrated with PN now, this i feel is a fob off.

+ My downloads from usenext for the past month have been less than 10kbps yet downloads elsewhere (other websites) are perfect. Usenext is fine because a mate is using BT with no problems I used to get 120Kbps constant. I guess it PN traffic shaping, thanks. If things don't improve soon i'm going to go to Bulldog or Telewest. And they are cheaper.
5 REPLIES
N/A

What does the checker on http://www.bt.com/broadband give back as an *estimate* for your phone number?
N/A

If your line is deemed by BT to be incapable of faster than 1MB then you're pretty much stuck. The current ADSL provisioning system provisions lines at the faster speed they're capable of.

If you can persuade PN (for which you need line stats) they can try to get BT to regrade but might not have much success. BT's arguement is it is better to be slower and stable than fast and dropping sync etc... (and I think that's a valid arguement).
N/A

What does the checker on http://www.bt.com/broadband give back as an *estimate* for your phone number?

Thanks for the link, I have tried this for both myself and my parents numbers. Both came back as 1mg! Its probable that this is a standard message from BT.

Solstans I agree with your statement, it seems a coinsidence that I have moved to a location nearer the exchange yet the speed has remained the same.

I hope someone has an idea of how to measure SNR on a WAG54G linksys router.

Thanks for the responses.
Community Veteran

Only V2 of that router can show line stats, the V1version cannot show it.

From the web interface http://192.168.1.1, go to Status then DSL Connection
N/A

When you moved to your new house did you by chance opt to keep the number you once had at your old house?

Could it not be then that the ability of getting higher than 1mb is based on the number itself and BT havent updated it yet ( due to a lack of willingness and ability more than anything else ) and so your getting this result.

The way I read it is that you are next to if not almost to your exchange.

Could you just Visit this site and enter your post code then submit. Click on the BT ADSL button on the left and then read the text in the body. How far from your exchange ( straight line distance ) does it report you as being from your exchange.

Regards,