Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I able to leave?

UberMensch
Grafter

Am I able to leave?

Hello,

I've got the 12 month contract, but I'm now sick of the peak time usage caps. When I signed up, there was no mention whatsoever about these caps, and the restrictions for breaking them. It was only after I got an e-mail saying I'd used up a certain amount that I found out about the usage caps.

I signed up to PN purely because they advertised an "Unlimited" service, which turns out to be incorrect.

Are there any costs in moving to another ISP? Pipex was my second choice (now my first), so I'll probably be moving there. Would I have to pay a leaving fee, or the rest of the 12 months?
18 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Am I able to leave?

Under no circumstances did we advertise an unlimited service when you signed up (March).

If you were to cancel, you would need to pay the deferred activation and hardware charges (£47+25) in addition to the remainder of the contract duration.
UberMensch
Grafter

Am I able to leave?

Sorry, but I wouldn't be here if there wasn't an unlimited service advertised. Ironically, there isn't an unlimited service, which is a problem, considering almost two out of the five members (Dogs count!) in the family are very heavy users.

I'm keeping a community website going, but it's extremely difficult with no FTP access. PlusNet were fantastic when I signed up, even if I signed up for something I wasn't going to get. The usage is usually about 11GB per month, so I'm considering upgrading to the Premier range option 1. I take it there will be fees?

I don't want to come across as moany, but I was fully expecting an unlimited service. Maybe PlusNet didn't advertise any unlimited services, however, it would be good if they could check those comparison sites for dodgy data Smiley

Thanks for the speedy reply!
N/A

Am I able to leave?

I can't remember plus offering an unlimited service this year.....
UberMensch
Grafter

Am I able to leave?

Chances are, it was actually the comparison site. The search included the following conditions: Unlimited, 2Mbps+, UK. PlusNet came out first.
Community Veteran

Am I able to leave?

That is the fault of the comparison site which PN have no control over and also your responsibility for not checking the actual package details on PlusNets website.

You should ALWAYS check the T&C and full product details from the ISPs own website as packages change more frequently than the comparison sites update their details and there is no guarantee given from the comparison site that the information is accurate or even current.
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

Am I able to leave?

Chances are, it was actually the comparison site. The search included the following conditions: Unlimited, 2Mbps+, UK. PlusNet came out first.

There are very few ISPs that offer a real unlimited service now, and it is important that you very carefully read and Fair Usage Policies in particular. Many hide the details, or are extremely vague - PlusNet are actually very open about their policies.

The PlusNet Premier products, IMHO, offer very good value and, if you can schedule large downloads, offer pretty good download options - off peak usage (midnight to 4pm) is completely unmetered.

PlusNet themselves have not advertised an unlimited service for a very long time (maybe as long ago as 2004), and even then I seem to remember that it was for a very limited period . Many other ISPs still advertise unlimited services that most certainly are not, and often offer less than PlusNet.

We each have differing requirements, and it is important to choose an ISP that matched your needs. Before jumping to another ISP, check the small print of the other ISPs.

There maybe reasons for looking for alternative ISPs to PlusNet right now (support for example, or communications), but IMHO download allowances are way down the list of possible negatives.

Regards, Neil
Fixes: 115

Am I able to leave?

Under no circumstances did we advertise an unlimited service when you signed up (March).

If you were to cancel, you would need to pay the deferred activation and hardware charges (£47+25) in addition to the remainder of the contract duration.

What I think is sad here is instead of PN trying to appease the member and assure him/her of a good service despite their shortcomings, recent max problems and misunderstandings, they appear to take the 'tough luck' attitude along with 'pay us what you owe and get lost'.

Maybe I am misreading the post from jamesbailey and apologies if I have.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

James
Grafter

Am I able to leave?

The customer isn't complaining about poor service. He's stated that he thought he was signing up to a service that was unlimited, which wasn't. At no fault of our own.

Have you not just completely missed the point of his post?
Fixes: 115

Am I able to leave?

I never missed the point of the post and fully understand his grievance.

It's just what I have seen continously over the last many weeks is a kind of 'Put up & pay up and go' attitude from PN.

Does any one else feel the same way or is it just me?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

kjaerligkatt
Grafter

Re: Am I able to leave?

Pipex was my second choice (now my first), so I'll probably be moving there. Would I have to pay a leaving fee, or the rest of the 12 months?

Incidentally, Pipex have an AUP and traffic shaping. The precise details are unclear (deliberately?), but the implication is that if you use your connection all the time, and download 10s of GBs, then your connection will be managed. In effect, "unlimited until you use your connection too much, and we're not going to tell you what too much is" ;-)

Regards, Neil
UberMensch
Grafter

Am I able to leave?

A friend is on the same package I want to get from Pipex, and he downloads half the internet every week Cheesy

He's on the Max option, shown on the right hand side here
N/A

Am I able to leave?

A friend is on the same package I want to get from Pipex, and he downloads half the internet every week Cheesy

That does look good Cheesy If I don't get a satisfactory response from PN, and fairly soon, then I'll be joining you!
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

Am I able to leave?

Yes, I'm familiar with that package but that package is subject to their traffic shaping & AUP. I'm not saying it wouldn't be suitable - it's horses for courses, but you do need to check the small print very carefully before jumping, otherwise you may find yourself in the same (or even worse) position than you consider you are right now with PlusNet.

Do you know exactly how much your friend's monthly usage is, at what times and at what speeds? Just as an example, I have (in a busy month) peaked at 80GB+ with PlusNet and have regularly achieved download rates of 100-200 kBytes/second WHILST watching streaming video.

As I said, PlusNet is a good option for me, but might not be for you - I'd just recommend doing your homework before jumping ;-)

Regards, Neil
James
Grafter

Am I able to leave?

It's just what I have seen continously over the last many weeks is a kind of 'Put up & pay up and go' attitude from PN.

I'm really just stating facts about the contract terms.

Not in anyway trying to suggest as per the above.