cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Always on

N/A

Always on

Hi, I've been with plusnet for about 4 months and have had exellent service.
I was just wondering why do i need to connect using the dial up network and entering my password to get online.I was under the impression that I was connected as soon as I switched my compter on.

Thanx :?: :?: :?: :?:
4 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Always on

That depends what your connection Hardware is. USB modems generally need to be told to connect (my one did) however my Router is always on.
N/A

Always on

This would be because you're using a device which is powered by the computer. When the computer is turned off, there is no power, therefore the device is turned off. So you are disconnected. When you turn the computer back on, the device boots back up, and requires you to enter your details in order to connect again. There are ways of automating this process, I'm sure, however I don't know of any off the top of my head.

If you want a truly always on connection you should invest in some sort of self powered connection hardware (I use a router). This means that the device doesn't rely on anything but a mains point for its power, and therefore never turns off and disconnects (except of course if there's a powercut Smiley).
N/A

Always on

I have a usb modem.Thanks for clearing that up for me. Smiley
jberry
Grafter

Always on

Hi there,

If you are using the Binatone 500 (from your account I expect that you are) you can set your modem to be "Always On" in the settings.

This is not technically always on but means that your computer will connect you up as soon as you switch on rather than having to go in and click connect.

Regards,