cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Always on, but half off

crimsone
Grafter

Always on, but half off

I connect through a router - the router has prooved quite robust and seems quite happy with being left on for long lenghts of tme.

However, for some reason, when I leave my connection on for up to 4 days, the quality of the connection decreases, with LOADS of timouts on web pages, inability to resolve some dns addresses the first time, slow http connection (except downloads), etc.

Rebooting the router seems to fix this (a process which takes the grand sum of 1 minute and doesn't turn off it's power - this is't an over heating issue). Basically, what fixes the problem is to disconnect, re-synch and reconnect my adsl connection.

Any Ideas? This isn't a problem at my end of the line as far as I can tell!
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Always on, but half off

I had a similar sort of problem with my router - I traced it back to the power supply being faulty. Well it wasn't working as well as it should.

Swapped it out for another one and all is well again - my SNR (signal to Noise)went back up to 20 from 4.

Some routers can get very warm while running - make sure there is ample ventilation around all sides of it if possible, also make sure there is ventilation around the transformer, as an overheating transformer is likely to produce a fluctualting current which can also cause a router to drop its connection/synch.

Try turning your router off for an hour (let the transformer and the unit all cool down) then immediately after connecting note your SNR. Check this each day until it starts dropping - Iam guessing you will see s slow reduction in your SNR until eventually the line becomes unstable and drops. This could point to some kind of buildup of heat or other problem in your router/power supply.

Remember if you do change your power supply, make sure you ge one capable of producing the required current at the correct voltage (normally around 1.25Amps at 12v) but if in doubt check the label on the existing one and teake it along to your local electronics place for advice.

Hope that helps...

Let us know if you find anything else out as others may have more advice....
crimsone
Grafter

Always on, but half off

I must admit, I hadn't considered the mains adapter.

The router itself is VERY well ventilated. It statns on end with clear air on all sides

I don't thing I have an SNR or over hating problem though. I don't have to let the router cool before reconnecting. I can Just reboot the connection and all is well again - this is one reaon I suspect it's not a problem at my end particularly.

My SNR seems pretty unchanging. The following is typical at all times (whether I've just connectd, or whether I've been connected for 4 days.

Community Veteran

Always on, but half off

Well your SNR certainly won't be the issue looking at those figures.

Also, if you don't have to let anything cool down, I wouldn't point the finger at overheating either.

Is there anything in the logs for the router that indicate what is happening?

i.e. when the connection starts dropping does the router freeze alltogether or are you stil able to access the web interface of it when the connection to the internet is down? If so you may be able to deduce something from the logs.

If your router is like mine, a reboot at the wall or otherwise will clear the logs leaving you in the dark again.
crimsone
Grafter

Always on, but half off

yes my router is like yours - lol

The router doesn't freeze, no. I can still log into it with no issues at all. All I get is a dodgy internet connection. What I probably should add, is that it's a gradual degradation of the connection.

As an example, but not entirely accurate...

On day one all is fine.

day two, all seems fine. Maybe one or two issues with a page half loading and then freezing - refreshing the page loads it fully.

Day three - as Day two, but also increasingly frequent occasions where DNS takes time to resolve. Occasionally, when opening my browser (the home page of which is set to google), the home page fails to load as the address fails to resolve. rpeatedly stopping the page loading and trying again fixes this. Browsing starts getting slower and slower.

Day four, as day 3, but more frequent. As web pages load, Images fail to download and display. My connection might as well be 56k dial-up on a poor line in terms of both speed and reliability. The connection is barely usable.

Action: reboot the router.

Result: Back to day 1 immediately.
Community Veteran

Always on, but half off

Well this really is curious - your router should either be connected or not. It shouldn't slow the traffic down. It could be dropping traffic though causing the appearance of slow speeds.

When the symptoms of day two and day three start appearing - do the numbers of errors (in the figures above) increase?

Are you able to try a modem or another router to see if you can isolate your present router?
crimsone
Grafter

Always on, but half off

No, the errors are fine - I don't get any which seems a little odd.

I've thought about this little since I last posted - could it be packet loss occuring more and more as a rusult of perhaps a dodgy MTU value? or something along these lines?