cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative ways to collect my PN email?

N/A

I'm a bit fed up with the consistent email problems we seem to have with PN.
However I don't want this to be a moan about the service, there's plenty of other threads for that.

What alternatives do I have for getting my PN email collected in a reliable manner? I've seen a few posts that mention options but trying a serch for those now is hard, there's just so many results the search tool threw up.

I had a fiddle for a couple of hours yesterday with MailEnable but couldn't get it working and it did my head in, so you can get an idea of the level I can cope with! Shockedops:

I'm happy to pay a small sum yearly for the benefit of a better service but I want to retain my existing email addresses.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran

[1] webmail.plus.net

[2] YahooMail accounts, mail.yahoo.com, allow you to downlaod mail from POP3 into your Yahoo account. Myabe GMail and others have the option too.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

I think the problem is with the pop3 servers in general - so either way you look at it, you're still going to have trouble collecting wether yourself or through a 3rd party.

Why not buy a cheap domain from the likes of 123-reg? you can then point your domain email to whichever mail provider you want - hotmail, yahoo (and heaven forbid Plusnet).
Alecto
Grafter

Don't know about the other free ones, but a Gmail account can be set up automatically to forward everything it receives to your Plusnet account or anywhere else. So you give out your Gmail address and pick up mail thru Pn as normal. Except when it's down and you then log into Gmail.
And it means you don't have to tell all your contacts if you leave Plusnet. :roll:
Community Veteran

you can then point your domain email to whichever mail provider you want ...

If you do this, does this mean everything sent to @newdomain.com goes to one mailbox?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

depends on the policy of the email forwarding company..
But with 123reg the way it works is anything sent to steve@domain.com will be forwarded on to steve@username.plus.com, and dave@domain.com to dave@username.plus.com

some you can have catch all's too..
N/A

Thanks for all the info so far, any more suggestions are welcome.

I already have a couple of domains (and associated email addresses) but don't really want the agro of changing my main personal email address when (despite everything) I'm unlikely to move my broadband from PN.

Thanks again.
N/A

I like the look of Postmaster as suggested on another thread;

http://www.postmaster.co.uk/

There's a free version or £9.99 pa which seems reasonable rather then the (again down) PN email service.
N/A

My solution

Read my post I have just put up detailing my solution which has worked for me long term.
N/A

Well I've signed up for Postmaster at 9.99 per annum and it's picking up all my emails from PN and my domain addresses OK (the emails still aren't getting through reliably via Outlook from PN).

I intend using Outlook using PN to pick up my emails day to day and I'll switch to Postmasters web interface for my backup when PN next goes down (and the time after that, and then even into next week and beyond ....).

Thanks for the previous postings.

I hope I now reasonably sorted, although I'm a bit agreived that I've had to go to this length for a service that PN should be giving me.
dhumble
Grafter

Re: Alternative ways to collect my PN email?

If you indeed are asking,
then an option is to run your own mail server. I do and PN's mailer server problems have not affected me.

Without reinventing a 'How-to', the documentation is out there for freely available Operating Systems, Software and setting up. All freeware.

Here I run Linux Mandrake OS with Popper (POP3) and Postfix (SMTP). Once set up you go into your PN 'Email Settings', 'SMTP' and setup mail direction to your server. The result is an MX record is then propogated throughout the .net and all mail will be attempted to forward to your mail server. Only when it is unavailable will mail go and sit on PN's mail server awaiting a poll from you.

MX Record Lookup
Found these mail servers for dhumble@taurus2.plus.com

* 5 autoturn.plus.net.uk
* 20 mx.last.plus.net
* 1 mail.taurus2.plus.com

Your then into the realms of protecting yourself from mail relay merchants, spammers and live anti-virus file scanning. Still, plenty of help out there.

Mail servers, apart from media streaming, put the heaviest demand on hardware it runs upon. Oh, and if you go for M$ Exchange, the heaviest of demand on your scalp... Hair pulling! :shock:

David
N/A

David, thanks but I think that's beyond the time, patience and budget I'm willing to invest.

Thanks for the great reply though and there's a good chance it will help others.
dhumble
Grafter

OK, I have pondered over this some more and what I am going to suggest, in theory should work. The proviso is whether a third-party mail host would allow it. Some do. Not a lot different to my suggestion above, where my system/s become the mail server.

So, PN are having problems with their mail (POP3) servers. You want to get your .plus.com or bigbry.co.uk mail redirected to another, preferably free mail host. So that, it does not try to go to PN's mail servers, thus getting stuck or lost (due to current problems).

PN do allow mail redirection. The question is though, does this create an MX record that is propogated throughout the .net or, just on PN's serversHuh I'm not sure.

An MX record is usually an entry in the global DNS, saying which host the mail for your domainname should go to.

If the MX records are propogated...
Find a FREE host. Set it up. Go into the PN portals, 'Email Settings', 'Configure Mailboxes' page. Edit each mailbox 'Redirection address' to the email address given to you by the third-party mail host.

Mail for bigbry.co.uk would have to be treated differently though by making changes in PN portal, 'Email Settings', 'Mailboxes', 'SMTP'.

If the MX records are NOT propogated...
Forget the above, raise a PN ticket, asking them to add an MX record, superceeding PN's, that redirects your mail to the other host. You will have to supply either the domainname or IP address of that host. The details will be on the third-party hosts help/setup pages.

Any MX record changes can take up to 48 hours to propogate world wide but my experience has been less than 24 hours for major DNS servers to recieve it.

Hope this helps someone.

David
N/A

Go into the PN portals, 'Email Settings', 'Configure Mailboxes' page. Edit each mailbox 'Redirection address' to the email address given to you by the third-party mail host.

The re-direct facility doesn't seem to be working at the mo, it keeps giving me stupid messages so I guess it's all gone on a Sunday afternoon stroll!

Thanks for the details, it's only the PN emails that I'm after, everything else is easy to configure and I hadn't even realised PN did a forwarding system!
N/A

Yep, the forwarding for PN mailboxes works Ok and I'm getting emails now. I can't get my default address 'bsarll' to accept any forwarding though. On my mailboxes I had to delete the existing ones and then click on forwarding - it wouldn't let me edit the existing entries.

However it's a simple solution that seems to be ok II'm currently collecting via my Postmaster account through IMAP settings in Outlook XP).

David, thanks again for the efforts.