cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative network plusdsl2.net

lizzards

I have just changed my settings to this new network and can see nothing different. How do I know if I have done it properly?
19 REPLIES
avalon
Grafter

If you've changed it and you can still access the internet then you've done it properly. Wink
JJ
Grafter

Do a speedtest on www.thinkbroadband.com select detailed output, and it will suggest your ISP is BT rather than PN

JohnH
Liam
Grafter

The idea is you use the internet as you normally would. We'll send you a survey at some point over the coming weeks - which will be optional - but we just want to get any end-user feedback on whether or not it feels any different. For most people, it probably won't.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

@jheffer - for that link to work you need to remove the trailing comma Smiley
Community Veteran

What coma Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I think we should ban mods who alter other peoples posts without any notification. Wink
N/A

Just stopped using alternative. My firewall started reporting full every 5 mins - is this because there isn't a firewall at the plusnet end?

Paul
N/A

the firewall does not work on the new network.
N/A

Big failure there then - I would leave it alone until one is installed.
If anyone at PlusNet wants my firewall logs please let me know.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

What sort of things is the firewall logging? Random port scans or something else?
N/A

Port Scans I think - UDP and TCP packet dropped
N/A

I've been trying the RIN platform for 2-3 weeks. There's been no unusual activity showing either in the Router logs or in the software firewall (ZA). What firewall do you use?

BTW I haven't noticed much difference between the platforms. I prefer the RIN because of the dynamic IP. Any chance we may be able to stay once the trial is over, without having to move out of the PAYG package?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

It's fairly normal for a certain amount of background traffic, random pings, probes and virus scans. Also with a dynamic IP address you may on occassions get a bit of traffic destined for the person that had the IP address before (e.g. people P2P or gaming traffic).

The exact ending details for the trial haven't yet been decided on. I would suspect that you'd be able to stay on RIN because the intention is to move all IPStream customers onto RIN in time.
N/A

I have started trialing this, speed does not seem any faster, so what improvements should we expect?

I did this test BEFORE the switch at 09:30 today

and this one AFTER

BT and the Plusnet Stable rate page have me listed for 7mb so I was hoping for a bit more grunt.