Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After Max USB Connections

egor44
Grafter

Hi All,
Just a thought, after max has settled out on my system, on which i use a USB ADSL modem, if i turn my machine off for say 18 hours a day, as is the norm for me, would the man at BT see this as a bad line situation and start interleaving and reducing speeds on my line ?.

I surpose i had better save for a router to enable permanant (sp?) connection without the need for a machine running all day/night.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

No, it will have no effect. A bad line would be classed as having dropped a few times, say within a few minutes, not be off for many hours/day..

BT can differentiate between someone staying off for a period of time and the exchange having problems syncing with your equipment.

For the higher speeds I would certainly recommend upgrading to a router. The netgear DG834 (which I use) has been working very well for the past 18 months and comes highly recommended. It also copes with very low SNR figues, so is ideal for MaxDSL.
egor44
Grafter

Cheers Peter, It was just a thought Smiley
N/A

Have to endorse Peters reccomendation for the DG834, I've had one for around 18mths too, and its always been great - I've also put them in at four or five other peoples homes and they've always found them great too.
egor44
Grafter

Cheers Peter,
I have been looking at the DG834PN as i would like to get a laptop and set up a wireless network, but i will not have any funds for toys for approx. 4 weeks and so i am watching a couple of threads re the router in the meantime.

Thanks for your input, Ken
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you think you may be interested in the BBC multi-cast (if PN ever get it working again), be aware that the DG834 family do NOT support it (yet). There's rumours it's coming but nothing concrete I've seen.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)