cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed

N/A

Advice needed

I was upgraded to 8mb last monday and my speeds stayed the same until saturday evening when they went through the roof and I was getting over 6mb using usenet. On sunday and today however I cannot get more than 1 KBps downloading.

I've checked my usage and I'm only at 60% and BT says my stable rate should be 7500Kbps. My speed test are also low.

Have I picked up a virus or should I be waiting for the whole 10 days to pass?

Cheers
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Advice needed

Check what your actual stable rate is by clicking the link here

You may find you need to wait the full 10 days for things to settle down.

Alternatively you may be suffering from exchange contention at peak times.
N/A

Advice needed

Your High-speed Broadband Service

Your current broadband speed is 7500 Kbps

What does this speed mean?
This is the speed that the network supplier is telling us you should expect on your line. If your hardware is reporting higher speeds, you can try and automatically update this speed by disconnecting and reconnecting once a day for 3 days.

Find out more about up to 8Mb broadband by reading our high-speed broadband guide.

My bother is that usenet is unusable - its hardley even downloading
N/A

Advice needed

Count yourself lucky, this is what the website says for me:

Your High-speed Broadband Service

Your current broadband speed is 8000 Kbps

What does this speed mean?
This is the speed that the network supplier is telling us you should expect on your line. If your hardware is reporting higher speeds, you can try and automatically update this speed by disconnecting and reconnecting once a day for 3 days.

Yet, after around 7-8 ticket responses Plusnet won't budge and insist that me being on a 4MBIT IP Profile is 'fine', and that BT will not accept it as a fault, and as a result, won't sort it out.
So now i'm getting a max speed of 3300KB/S @ speedtest.net...

Actually, I just did one now and had THIS impressive result:

BT won't accept it as a fault, yeah...ISDN speeds on a 5.6MBIT connection...ha ha
Community Veteran

Advice needed

So - your BRAS profile is 7500kb/s. This is what the speed is set to your line.

However, there are many things that can affect the actual download speed you see.

The first (and out of plusnets control) is exchange contention. This is when all the people at your exchange (actually the people sharing the same equipment at the exchange as you) are using up all the available bandwidth. In which case the bandwidth is shared out between them, but they wont get full speed. For example, my stable rate is 8000, but until recently at peak times, I was only getting between 1000 and 2000. This has gradually increased recnetly up to about 4000 at peak times - I assume due to improvements at the exchange. At other than peak times, I can see as high as 6000 - but that is the fastest I have ever seen.

Second factor is throttling by plusnets equipment (the ellacoyas) Plusnet operate a scheme of prioritising different types of traffic. Real time stuff like web browsing, email and VOIP get a high priority. Other stuff (like p2p and usenet) get a lower priority (cos they consume a lot of capacity, and it is not critical for the customer to get the download NOW. Unfortunately it seems (and I have no inside knowledge - this is just my assessment) Plus net are struggling to set up the system properly at the moment, such that particularly p2p and usenet are being hit harder than expected.

There is another factor in that your router connects through one of about 4 to 6 (not sure exactly how many) gateways. It would seem that performance varies from one to another.

Some things you can try - do a speed test, such as the one at bbmax (seems to work better than plusnets and it looks nicer) This will give you an idea of your actual max download speed for this time of day.

If the usenet speed is still much lower than this, you are probably suffering from the prioritisation problems (you can probably expect anything above 100kByte/s to be good), or the gateway. Try rebooting your router to get a different gateway.(You may need to do this a few times - it is random which one you will get)

Oh yes - you may also have problems with your usenet supplier (if you are using an external supplier) The one I use has a 2 servers - one of which is always pathetically slow)
N/A

Advice needed

Poor Usenet speeds on PN's servers is normal. Speeds less than 30KB/sec on external news servers is normal unless you talking like 3am in the morning.
N/A

Advice needed

this is such a pain

I have not reached any download limits and my general speeds are ok but not great, but my usenet speeds all evening are zero until after midnight when the jump to 6mb.

You would think even with contention my usenet speeds would match my browsing speeds. I'm getting 1.7KBps..........Wooooooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooo This Broadband it the nuts.

Come on guys sort it out.
N/A

Advice needed

Just gonna have to move to another ISP to get it fixed or wait until plusnet make an announcement about it (if they even do) and base your decision to stay on that (which is what im planning on doing). Even if they announce there is a problem, you're still gonna end up waiting until they fix it.
N/A

Advice needed

Your usenet speeds will be poor, yes, PN regard them as low priority and throttle them to death, like pretty much everything else!