cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added a second microfilter by mistake - slow speeds

N/A

Now don't laugh Smiley
A second microfilter was pluged into the phone socket used by my modem by mistake and my download speed plummeted 125kbps (was at 2000kbps).
I have since removed the second filter but I am still only getting speeds of 125kbps.
Below is is my modem says it currently connect at.

Current Modem Status:
DownStream Connection Speed 8128 kbps (went down to 128kbps(ish) when the second filter was added)
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38

Anyone got any ideas?

(EDIT: Forgot to mention, my account is Premier Option 1. Ugraded to Maxdsl in the middle of April)
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You are probably now going to have to wait 3 days for the value at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate to increase again.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

You are probably now going to have to wait 3 days for the value at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate to increase again.

... but only if you're lucky!
My line speed still seems to be capped at my lowest recorded stable rate even though that has been increased for over a week.
John B
N/A

Re: Added a second microfilter by mistake - slow speeds

A second microfilter was pluged into the phone socket used by my modem by mistake

How do you accidently plug in a 2nd microfilter?
N/A

Re: Added a second microfilter by mistake - slow speeds

A second microfilter was pluged into the phone socket used by my modem

It should not make any difference to your ADSL, microfilters only filter the phone side of your line, the ADSL is just straight through the filter and should have no affect on your ADSL connection.

It is not uncommon for people to use two filters in series from one socket to cure bad interference problems, or as a check for a faulty filter.
N/A

Ahh, stable rate according to Plusnet is only 500kbps, guess I need to wait for it to update or whatever.

Got an extension from the phone socket to my modem, the first filter was plugged on the end of the entension. The second one was plugged in between the socket and the extension. (and it was my brother who plugged the second one in, honest Smiley )
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

A decrease in throughput only needs a few minutes sync'd at a lower speed for the backend systems to kick in and reduce the BRAS profile. To go back up again the modem/router will need to stay sync'd at the higher rate for at least 3 days. If it decreases in sync speed during that time, even for just a minute or two then that 3 day clock is reset.
N/A

My stable rate is still 2000 despite syncing at over 4000 for the fast few weeks.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

That's part of a known problem and one of the reasons that the bulk regrade programme is on hold. BT have identified a number of customers in the same situation where the back end systems aren't updating and setting the throughput at a higher speed even though the sync rate has increased and in many cases has been increased for several days or weeks.

BT are currently working on this and hope to have a fix in place shortly and be able to uplift the throughput speeds for the affected customers.