cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actual speed vs stable rate vs synch rate (ticket 20330488)

N/A

Hi,

My synch rate is over 5.5Mb
My stable rate is 4.5Mb
My actual speed is 3.3Mb

I can understand my stable rate as I once synched at 4.9Mb, so hopefully in a few days it will go back up to 5 or 5.5Mb.

However, my DL rate of 3.3Mb is confusing.

Is it reasonable to lose 1.2Mb off your stable rate? I used to have a stable rate of 1.5Mb before I upgraded my cabling and my DL speed would be 1.4Mb so a 6% loss, but now I'm up to a stable rate of 4.5Mb my loss has increased to 27%.

Is this acceptable?

Thanks.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What time are you doing the speed tests?

If it is peak time you are almost certainly getting exchange contention. Could also be the case at other times.

I sync and stable rate at 8000, but in the evennings I can get as low as 1000 (normally around 1800.

In the mornings, the max I can get is about 5500.
N/A

Well it's more than I can manage in the evenings (barely 0.3Mb) ... yet on my other ISP on my second line I can aceive the full rate of 2mbps, so it's certainly not my exchange.

I'm seriously considering switching ISP to something that gives me my moneys worth.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: Actual speed vs stable rate vs synch rate (ticket 203304

Is it reasonable to lose 1.2Mb off your stable rate? I used to have a stable rate of 1.5Mb before I upgraded my cabling and my DL speed would be 1.4Mb so a 6% loss, but now I'm up to a stable rate of 4.5Mb my loss has increased to 27%.

Hi,

It's difficult to compare contention on a throughput rate of 4.5Mbps to one on 1.5Mbps in that way simply because contention doesn't work in percentages like that.

I'll do a simple example of how it works, let's say the backhaul bandwidth at the exchange is 10Mbps and we have 4 customers whose BRAS rates are 3Mbps, 4Mbps, 5Mbps and 6Mbps.

Therefore if all of them tried to max out at the same time they'd need 18Mbps of bandwidth, but as there's only 10Mbps it's split pretty evenly between all four of them so they all see roughly 2.5Mbps throughput speeds. Percentage wise the customer with the 6Mbps throughput profile sees a higher decrease than the one with 3Mbps but they all have pretty good speeds.

When they launched Max BT said the throughput speeds particularly at peak, even on an 8Mbps sync rate may not be any faster than they were on Home 2000, so 3.3Mbps isn't too bad a speed.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Well it's more than I can manage in the evenings (barely 0.3Mb) ... yet on my other ISP on my second line I can aceive the full rate of 2mbps, so it's certainly not my exchange.

Have you run the BT Speedtest?

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

Even if one line gives good speeds and one doesn it doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't an exchange problem. Most exchanges have several virtual paths (VP's) from the exchange, one could be highly contended and one not and eacg line is on a different VP. Or it could be a fault on the line itself.

Disconnecting and reconnecting may help, our network is a little out of balance so if you've connected to a congested tunnel disconnecting and reconnecting should hit a less congested tunnel.
N/A

Thanks Dave

Thats helps explain how to compare the speeds.

Cheers.
N/A

Heh, in that case my exchange must be well under supplied. I get 4.5mbs until 9am in the morning, then i usually drop to somewhere beetween 160 - 600 k.

:?
N/A

Okay, I'm no-longer convinced with the reasons given.

I ran various speed tests at different times and I seemed to get a constant 3.4Mb with a 4.5Mb stable rate. Surely if contention was the reason then I would have seen differing rates.... anyhow.

I have been synching at over 5Mb for a few days and now my stable rate has increased from 4.5Mb to 5Mb and guess what..... my dl rate has also increased by 0.5Mb to 3.9Mb.

Now if the reasons given above held true, then surely my DL rate would have stayed at 3.4Mb even though my stable rate had increased?

It is like I have a cap of 1Mb less than my stable rate.

Any more ideas?

Thanks.
N/A

Well, sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting helps but may only gain me an extra 500kb/s sometimes it gets worse.
Last night I was only managing to download at 10kB/s which is a joke.
Pretty sure it's not a line fault since out of peak times I get download speeds of around 3.5Mb/s
Liam
Grafter

I've just moved to Sheffield. I live in the middle of the city centre on the main Sheffield exchange.

I'm not on a staff account yet, I'm on normal Premier 1.

At peak times, I cannot get over around 500kbps. 9am I get about 3.5 - 4Mb, my stable rate is 8000 and my sync speed is 8128k.

My flatmate has a BT Broadband connection and he slows right down too - at the same times - and theres a BT Openzone hotspot that I can't do much better on either!

The pleasures of Max!
N/A

I'm not sure it's such a good idea to try the 'I'm in the same boat as all of you poor buggers' routine'.
N/A

Just to add, its taken me the best part of 5 mins just to download 94 emails. It never used to be this slow, infact this is on par as when I was on 56k.