cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation of 'New' Accounts to deal with Spam - 11 June?

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Also g), presumably the ADSL login will change to the new account as well. As this is administered by BT, I guess there will be some delay on this. Will there be a notification as to when it changes, or an overlap?

Yes it will change but nothing needs to be done at BT's side. The only thing dependant on BT is the realm which is essentially the bit after the '@' sign. This will be @plusdls.net in most cases and will remain unchanged.

Shame PlusNet didn't feel it necessary to actually try this process properly with real customers.

1. You cannot create a PAYG account from a business address.

You certainly should be able to. I'm assuming you tried signing up to a free Business PAYG account?

Is it really not possible for CSC to simply copy the existing email mailboxes between the accounts?

Not easily no. CSC do not have the power to do this. The netOps team probably can in certain situations however the procedures involved would be very laborious and prone to error.

Also, its now more than 'an hour or two' from Bob's post. I still can't find the transfer link on the help pages. Am I looking in the wrong place, or is yet another deadline slipping away?

Customer Services & Biling > Account Management > Request That My Username is Changed

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

25 REPLIES
N/A

In the community post http://community.plus.net/blog/2007/06/07/webmail-deliverables-follow-up/#more-20, item 1 says that as from tonight you will be able to create a PAYG account, then raise a ticket to get your old account transferred to the new one, thus leaving behind all the spam currently going to username.plus.com.

Can someone please confirm that my understanding of this is correct:-

1. We create a new PAYG account, which will become your new main account

2. We raise a ticket through the help system, to request transfer from the old username to the new username.

3. CSC will then move everything associated with your old account to the new account (i.e. domains, account type). This will then make the new PAYG account your paid for account, and your old account becomes a PAYG account.

4. We will have to re-enter the billing details, as CSC don't have access to that information.

5. We will then reconfigure all our mailbox utilities to use the new account name when collecting mail, and have almost spam free mailboxes again.

Some questions about this:-

a) Will all the mailboxes, redirects, aliases etc. be migrated as well, or are we expected to do this?

b) Will the WebSpace be migrated, or will we have to do this as well?

c) Will there be an FAQ or similar, so that people know what issues there are, and what exactly they have to do themselves?

d) Exactly how will you request it through the online help. I can never find anything there at the best of times.

e) I am confident that PlusNet will have this ready by the promised day Smiley, but if not, can it be requested directly through a ticket?

f) Has this process been trialed? If not, I really suggest some real world accounts are trialled first to iron out the issues. Obviously, given our interest in getting this to happen, we would be happy to assist in this.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: Activation of 'New' Accounts to deal with Spam - 11 June

a) Will all the mailboxes, redirects, aliases etc. be migrated as well, or are we expected to do this?

No, unfortunately this is not currently possible.

b) Will the WebSpace be migrated, or will we have to do this as well?

Whilst I think this may be possible in certain situations, it is likely that it will delay the switch so we will be suggesting that customers upload a copy of their site to the new account.

c) Will there be an FAQ or similar, so that people know what issues there are, and what exactly they have to do themselves?

The specifics will be documented in the Help Assistant path. Depending on the services you have registered it is likely that Customer Support will need to contact you anyway to discuss the feasibility of transferring your account details across.

d) Exactly how will you request it through the online help. I can never find anything there at the best of times.

As I understand it, this will be found under Customer Services & Billing > Account Management > Request my username is changed

e) I am confident that PlusNet will have this ready by the promised day Smiley, but if not, can it be requested directly through a ticket?

The Help Assistant path will be there over the next hour or two.

f) Has this process been trialed? If not, I really suggest some real world accounts are trialled first to iron out the issues. Obviously, given our interest in getting this to happen, we would be happy to assist in this.

Our customer support staff follow this process from time to time as a good will gesture so it has been done before.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Also g), presumably the ADSL login will change to the new account as well. As this is administered by BT, I guess there will be some delay on this. Will there be a notification as to when it changes, or an overlap?
N/A

Shame PlusNet didn't feel it necessary to actually try this process properly with real customers.

1. You cannot create a PAYG account from a business address.

2. You cannot just replicate the existing email accounts onto the new free PAYG account, unless it meets the recently introduced strong password rules. The majority of ours fail this test.

This means not only do we have to edit the email settings for all our users, but also provide them with new passwords.

With around 100 email mailboxes to set up, and a website to move, the cost of clearing up after PlusNet's system got hacked is already large. Having to re-issue new passwords for all our users will make the financial cost huge.

Is it really not possible for CSC to simply copy the existing email mailboxes between the accounts?

Also, its now more than 'an hour or two' from Bob's post. I still can't find the transfer link on the help pages. Am I looking in the wrong place, or is yet another deadline slipping away?
N/A

Bob,

I followed the link from the community post page. Maybe it need editing to show there are two routes, otherwise others will do the same as me.

As you didn't repond to point 2 (needing to change all the passwords due to their length, I guess that means PlusNet won't help on this issue?
chrisc
Grafter

As you didn't repond to point 2 (needing to change all the passwords due to their length, I guess that means PlusNet won't help on this issue?

Unfortunately, the passwords will have to be changed to the new strong passwords when moving accounts and changing usernames.

We have tried to make the process as simple as possible but unfortunately some changes will also have to be made client side to make this a success.
N/A

Once the new account is up and running and becomes the main "paid-for" account, can you confirm that the old account will still be available via PAYG dial-up?
chrisc
Grafter

There should be no reason why this isn't possible - ensure that you request this at the time of the username change.
flyer99
Grafter

So I have read the info regards request to change user name on the help pages. Looks like Plusnet would like to put us off as much as possible. The one that caught my attention was;
Account Limitations

Unfortunately, it is not possible to assign a new username to some legacy accounts without you upgrading to one of our newer products. Should this be the case we will contact you to discuss the options available to you.

What are deemed legacy accounts please!
I am currently on PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 2
Will that mean I would have to move to PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 4 ?
emiles

Looks like Plusnet would like to put us off as much as possible

I agree. At a time when they should be doing all they can to retain the customers who they have exposed to a torrent of spam the "solution" they offer is complicated and something they want to discourage us from doing.

I expected to be emailed by PlusNet to offer me a solution to the problem, not to have to go find the information buried in their Help pages for myself.

The question I'm asking myself is can I be bothered to go through the process to change my username or is it just going to be easier to get a MAC code and find an ISP who takes customer service seriously.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

I am currently on PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 2
Will that mean I would have to move to PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 4 ?

Premier Option 2 should be fine, I just checked the list of accounts we can change to and that's listed.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I agree. At a time when they should be doing all they can to retain the customers who they have exposed to a torrent of spam the "solution" they offer is complicated and something they want to discourage us from doing.

We've got to be honest about this process and the limitations, we conducted a full investigation into the work that's required behind the scenes to automate the process and it's a mammoth amount of work that would take weeks possibly months to complete.

For most people the domain name option which should be available shortly would probably work better simply because of how of the limitations that exist with a username change.
N/A

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how will the free domain help most users? Unless they create a new account, they will still get all the spam arriving, since as far as I know there is no way to discrimate between incoming mail to <myname>@<myaccount>.plus.net and <myname>@<mydomain>

If they are having to create a new account, their spam problem would go away anyway.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

We're looking at a way of switching off the plus.com email address if there's a domain on the account. So while at the moment if you have a mailbox called mail it will receive email sent to mail@username... and mail@domain... if we can blackhole the plus.com address you'd just get mail to the domain.

Even if that turns out not to be possible what you could do with the domain is blackhole the catch-all address and then set up a new mailbox with aliases for addresses you haven't used before.