cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation fee if no product change?

N/A

Hi there,

I know that there have been a lot of threads regarding heh activation fee etc. when requesting a MAC code but I have yet to find a discription of when this charge applies.

Specifically, I moved from a 2meg uncapped conection on Pipex to a 2meg uncapped connection on PLusnet. My understanding of the activation fee is the cost incurred either through the activation of a line, or the regradding of the line from a capped line to an uncapped line or vice versa. In this case then would no activation fee be pending on the account.

Or am I completly mistaken!? :-)

Robert
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You may be getting confused between the ADSL activation fee and the migration fee.

The activation fee is payable when BT put ADSL on your line and does not apply for migrations. PlusNet have an option to defer the activation fee over 5 years but if you leave within that period a pro-rata payment must be made (it reduced for each complete year you stay with plusnet)

The migration fee is charged by BT when you switch ISPs. PlusNet defer this charge for 12 months when you migrate in to them (after 12 months you don't have to pay it) but you have to pay it if you leave before your 12 months are completed.

BT also charge when you change the contention i.e. 20:1 -> 50:1 or change your speed up or down. This cost is always past on to the user at the time of the change.

SO if you just migrated in but leave within 12 months, you pay the deferred activation fee before leaving + any other contractural fees like the remaining months if on a 12 month contract).
N/A

Thanks for that!

Is the migration the fee the same as the activation fee i.e. £58 odd?

Thanks again,

Robert
Community Veteran

no, it's £14.99.
N/A

The only time a activation fee may apply to a customer that has migrated, is he/she has moved house.

An activation fee would apply in this case too, and can also be defered over 5 years.
N/A

Thanks guys, that clears things up. I wanted to see what my options were regarding migration. I've been rather disappointed in the NNTP throttle on plusnet recently, which is a shame as plusnet seemed far better than Pipex when I first joined.
N/A

Yeah but it looks like they are changing the terms and conditions again, now I wonder what the legality of them being able to charge you for leaving because you don't agree to new terms and conditions, because you aren't breaking your contract with them, they are changing the contract and I know that with any other contract change if you don't agree to the changes you can leave without incurring penalties.
N/A

Does the second change to terms and conditions relate to this announcement that is supposed to happen today? Has anyone heard anything?
N/A

Last I heard, it would be some time this afternoon.

I don't however think it is a change to the T&Cs as suggested above.

The recent change of the terms has been the first such change in a few years, unlike what people are making out.
N/A

Thats good to hear, thank you acarr. I had started to think that I could expect changes every month or so, which I was not going to be looking forward too.