Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation Hasn't Worked?

Pathfinder
Grafter

Hi

Wonder if anyone can provide any additonal help why I wait for an answer to my support request.

I was emailed to say my ADSL account had been activated yesterday so last night I installed a network card and connected up a new Netgear DG834G with splitter. Working through the manual it said turn on router and confirm the internet (activated) light is solid green. Mine wasn't lit. I carried on and navigated to my router set up page and tried to configure both manually and through the wizard. Both times the router complained that it could not find an internet connection. So it appears at the moment that it is the ADSL at fault.

Is there anything I can try whilst waiting for support as I'm now being charged for the service and would like to get some use from it!

Thanks
17 REPLIES
N/A

Have you worked your way through this?
In particular trying with the system connected directly to the main phone socket and without the splitter and without any other equipment connected.
Pathfinder
Grafter

Hi

Yes I have worked through that. As I dont have synch I couldn't try the alternative logins.

I did try connecting direct to socket without splitter and there was no difference.

I haven't got access to another modem, this one is new and is functioning in as much as I can access the config pages etc... with no problems.
N/A

Presumably the VPI/VCI is set correctly?
http://www.zensupport.co.uk/knowledgebase/article.aspx?id=10047

Yes, try the BT test login - otherwise it sounds like a phone call to CS is required.

edit: more pictures here and I've just found the review here
Pathfinder
Grafter

I have tried the other logins but as there is no connection it makes no difference.

As for the VCI that is correct but no joy.

Will have to wait for response on my support request. Very frustrating.

Cheers
Community Veteran

It does sound like a line related problem of some sort or BT have failed to complete the work at the exchange (which has happened before).

Only PN can sort this one out and once they have checked their end is setup OK, will probably contact BT for them to check the exchange. This may not be rectified before Monday but you should not be billed until you get a successful connection.
Pathfinder
Grafter

What is PN?

I know I have a direct debit pending, so this should not get used until I can connect?

Peter I see you have made comments on the DG384G before so maybe you could take a look at another post of mine, it may help in the fault finding?

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=105283

Thanks
Community Veteran

PN = PlusNet. Smiley

Thomas
Community Veteran

Yeah, sorry about that, when you write PlusNet so many times you get into the habit of using short forms which new posters won't know about.

Can't help with your other thread as I don't actually have that model so would not know if the flashing light is good or bad. Does the manual not explain what the lights do?

FYI: I use the non-wireless netgear DG814.
N/A

If he has had the activation e-mail, then he will have already been billed. However, don't fret.

As noted, this does sound line or BT related. Make sure you have contacted PlusNet, noting that you have followed the troubleshooting guide and that you remain without sync.

Changing VPI/VCI is of no use. You don't need these set to gain sync.

Let plusNet get on with there side of things, and make sure you monitor the ticket for questions that need answering.

If and when the problem gets fixed, PlusNet will be able to change the billing dates to relfect the tiem without service. This will depend on where the problem is however.

Note: If PlusNet have to call BT onto the problem, you must accept the risk of a £50 charge from BT direct to your phone bill.

BT get called out to problems all the time, caused by customer cabling and equipment. This is not there job to fix, so a £50 charge is placed of the wasted callout.
Pathfinder
Grafter

Peter:
The manual says the light should be on if wireless is activated or off. It doesn't mention blinking, however some of the other status lights can be on/off or blink so I thought it may just be a typo in the manual.

Philip:
I have raised a ticket. Should I phone as well or is that enough? I raised the ticket at 7pm yesterday and haven't had any feedback as yet.

Thanks All.
N/A

The P&F (Provisioning and Faults) department do not work weekends, so your ticket will not likely be answered until Monday now.

This is because the departments at BT that deal with this do not work weekends either.
Pathfinder
Grafter

Looking at my tickets I notice there was an Internal one raised by ISP operations:

Component Status with ID 04488359 changed from 'active' to 'queued-reactivate'

Does this mean anything?
Community Veteran

I think that just indicates someone in support has looked at your ticket and queued it for the P&F team to pick up (reactivate) when they get in on monday. The ticket status change is just to stop other agents picking the ticket up if it remained in the 'active' state.
Pathfinder
Grafter

Ah, OK that makes sense. Looks like I will have to wait until Monday Cry

Cheers