Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accusations and personal insults in the forums

madswitcher
Grafter

Hi All,

While I appreciate that there is a lot of emotion going around regarding the Fair Usage Policy and other associated subjects, I am concerned that a number of posts resort to personal insults. Phases like "Another moderator in bed with Plusnet" and like are uncalled for. It seems to me that people are using the anonymity of the Internet to state what they would never dare to say if they were face to face, some being down right libellous. Whilst I am in danger of being called a grumpy old man (as per the television programme – my wife says I look a bit like Rick Wakeman), can we get some form of moderation going here and an appreciation of the feelings of people reading posts addressed to them.

Retire to a safe distance

Mike Smiley

Mike
10 REPLIES
N/A

Be assured, the moderators are discussing what sort of action we are going to take over this.

For the most part, people should just rise above it. Far less damage is done in the long run and many of those making such comments would normaly get bored of it.

I for one would like to see it stop too. It would sure make my role easier.
N/A

Be assured, the moderators are discussing what sort of action we are going to take over this.

I agree. Any post which includes unsubstantiated accusations or abusive phraseology should be deleted - having first given notice in a sticky of course.

Simon
N/A

having first given notice in a sticky of course

One of the primary reasons we havn't started, is because we like to do this.

Past examples are those of avatars being disabled during the BBP debates, and a few days later where we stated we would come down hard on those purposfully attempting to undermine peopels opinions.

It's not an easy job being a mod but, but soembody has to do it and it needs to be done fairly and not halfbaked as some have suggested our action are.
madswitcher
Grafter

"It's not an easy job being a mod "

"I's not eady being a cop". :lol:

Hitch-hiker's guide to tne galaxy

N/A

I'd like to make a point, and I'll try really hard to do so whilst observing the sticky...so carefully does it...here goes...

I have a problem with someone.

I can't tell you why, because I can't definitively prove it to others, and therefore it is unsubstantiated.

I can't tell you who (here), because although this would only be relating what i have seen, it may be considered a personal attack (actually, I wouldn't do this anyway)

I've PMed a mod 4/5 days ago, and haven't received a reply.

So...ummm..nice sticky!

As for Daz's post (if you're asking "which one", then it's already been removed), I do agree that there was a substantial degree of anger over the FUP, but so much of that was through mis-communication. An open discussion here would have helped, but every one of these were hi-jacked by people saying that it was good, yet at the same time saying that it didn't affect them!

Great for them, but where was the facility for those of us concerned about it, because it affected us directly, or (as in my case), on principle.

Might I suggest that when a substantial slice of the user community needs to discuss something this sensitive, then a private discussion area be made available for a period of time. All this nastiness could have been averted!

- Mike
RJankowski
Dabbler

Or moderators/staff just using the "An announcement will follow soon" on this matter - as most dont seem to know ALL the answers yet, so the wont put their proverbial feet in it.
N/A

II do agree that there was a substantial degree of anger over the FUP, but so much of that was through mis-communication. An open discussion here would have helped, but every one of these were hi-jacked by people saying that it was good, yet at the same time saying that it didn't affect them!

Well, if you now start a new thread with a well-chosen and specific subject -- such as "The bad bits about the FUP" then anyone who butts in and tells you what's good about it - is both off-topic and a hijacker who would be banned for a month.

Simon
N/A

An open discussion here would have helped, but every one of these were hi-jacked by people saying that it was good, yet at the same time saying that it didn't affect them!

Isn't this part of the process of discussion though?

One of the primary issues is, if you wish to raise somthing in the public forum, expect to receive public replies.

How on-topic a post is, is not decided by which side of the fence people sit on. It is possible to disagree with a statement, as it remains on-topic.

The problem here, si that some can't do this without resorting to personal insults.

I've PMed a mod 4/5 days ago, and haven't received a reply

I have checked, and it wasn't sent to me. I hope you didn't delete it from your sent items?

If you want to send it to me, please do
Ianwild
Grafter

There is an escalation path past the mods, via the Support team, if you feel a moderator has not dealt with something appropriately. By the same token, you can always email me (iwild@plus.net) directly and I will investigate the matter myself.

Nobody is trying to stiffle free thinking debate here and in many cases we are seeing very good debates along those lines. The underlying point here though is that a few individuals are demonstrating a lack of respect for others in this forum (Staff, Moderators and other customers alike) and in my opinion there is NEVER a justification for that.

The reality of discussion forums like this one is that people will only normally visit when they have a problem or bone to pick. Sometimes, the nature of that problem causes frustration, which leads to the problems we see from time to time. From my perspective, it should be possible for people to remain constuctive and respectful at all times (And that goes for everyone, including our own staff and the mods). There are plenty of public arenas on the Internet where the principles of free speech are much more of a priority, and all we can say to those who are unable to respect the forum and it's users is that they will have to go and post elsewhere.

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Who really would want to be a moderator - under(or un)paid, undervalued, loved by some and hated by others, when you make one person happy you upset another - probably on a par with football referees and traffic wardens then.

Is it really that rewarding that when it gets like this, it still feels worthwhile? I haven't always agreed with the mods (esp. when I have had PMs about my sig. being too long or my avatar being a tad to large) but no one should take it personally. Do they get it right all the time, no, but, horror of horrors, yes they are human and make mistakes.