cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account upgrade (again!)

N/A

Account upgrade (again!)

Hi guys

I am on the £39.99 package at the moment, and I will remain on this package because of promises to a regrade to 8Mbps Smiley

My question is, will the 8Mbps upgrade be done when BT are doing the current exchange upgrades?

Many thanks
37 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Account upgrade (again!)

No, the current regrades are up to 2MB.

BT are currently running trials on MaxDSL (4-8MB speeds) and they will be rolled out at a later date.

We are commited to providing these faster speeds as soon as we can and are also investigating LLU solutions as a method of providing this.
N/A

Account upgrade (again!)

Surely anyone with exchanges that are LLU enabled will already have left PlusNet.
Community Veteran

Re: Account upgrade (again!)

Hi guys

I am on the £39.99 package at the moment, and I will remain on this package because of promises to a regrade to 8Mbps Smiley

:shock:

so you are quite happy to pay £18 a month for absolutlely nothing, just to wait for something that we dont even know will arrive for certain this year?

Can you explain why? I would have thought it would be a little daft - but I suppose you have a reason for this... what is it?

Am I missing something?
N/A

Account upgrade (again!)

With all due respect, I pay over £600 for nothing (tax) each time I get paid. At least with the addtional £18 I can hope (almost guaranteed) to get something I would like one day.
Alecto
Grafter

Account upgrade (again!)

@mattwaddell
If you downgrade to £21.99 now and save £18 a month, you will stay on 2Mb and can still get the 8Mb when it becomes available by paying a one-off £14.99 speed upgrade fee.
That's why many people are downgrading straight away.
Community Veteran

Account upgrade (again!)

I agree, it would make sense to downgrade.

Don't forget it could take months for 8meg to reach your exchange and your line might not support it.

Chris
Community Veteran

Account upgrade (again!)

The high speed trials are not expected to complete until Sept, so that's at least 4 x £18 saving so is what I would recommend you do.
N/A

Account upgrade (again!)

Gotta agree with all above, there is no logical reason to stay at 39.99, the only benefit is once your exchange has 8mbit you won't have to contact PN to get 8mbit and it won't cost £15...however the fact you are aware of 8mbit means once you see an announcement BT has begun the rollout to all exchanges you can easily check your own exchange...so lets say in 4 months your exchange is enabled...you'd rather pay £72 up to then just to save you contacting PN in 6 months to say "move me to 8mbit?" Overall cost of the upgrade.... £57 - still free to you? Remember others on your exchange will only pay £15 and could get it before you if they realise it before you...by a few days...

You will not get 8mbit any quicker (bar a few days after you realise your exchange is 8mbit enabled) and so that is £57 truly wasted with no benefit at all.
N/A

Account upgrade (again!)

fa55dsl joins petervaughan and a few others on the list of MVMATTMs.

PlusNet staff, for reasons we can only surmise, have conspicuously failed to give us this commonsense advice.

Simon
N/A

Account upgrade (again!)

MVMATTMs.
Simon

That one has me beaten. Acronym Finder let me down a bucketful.
N/A

Account upgrade (again!)

Most Valuable Moderators and Tutorial Team Members.

Simon
N/A

Account upgrade (again!)

I pay over £600 for nothing (tax) each time I get paid.

Ahh see, if he has to pay 600 in tax each pay day (and im assuming its monthly) then hes probably not really going to care about a little 18 pound with what he has coming in Tongue
Community Veteran

Account upgrade (again!)

Not really - I pay about the same, and the missus pays more each month - and I'd still quibble over £18 a month for nothing. In fact I'd do more than ruddy quibble if I found out PN had been ripping me off to the tune of such an ammount, be it for one month or many!

Besides - how does the OP ge to work, does he have to drive over muddy fields, or more likely on tarmac roads (wonder how they got there) What about his education - he seems a bright fellow (apart from paing PN £18 a month for litterally nothing) how did he get that?

Tax does actually pay for quite a lot of things - we probably dont get god value, but thats another debate - th fact is tax actualy contributes to something other than John Prescotts lunch money - whereas the extra £8 or £18 a month PN are charging the unsuspecting 1mb and 2mb customers povides the customers with litteraly nothing, zip, nadda, nowt.
LiamM
Grafter

Account upgrade (again!)

I too think it is stupid to stay on or sign up to a higher speed package than Premier 2Mb at the moment.

I also think it is very wrong of Plusnet to get people to pay for these services now, when they can just upgrade later. I think it is wrong that they are misleading customers into beleiveing they can get a 4Mb and 8Mb connection very soon when they themselves have no idea how soon that may be.