cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access GURU needed

N/A

Access GURU needed

Dont know if this is the right place but here goes:

I have a nice technical question for someone - and there may be a free mars bar for the quickest response...

I need to set up a database in access with some fields such as header items on invoices with the company's address or phone number on the top - but i want to be able to change them periodically without having to go and edit all of my reports etc...

Along the same lines i want to have some constants such as labour rate that is a constant but which can be changed periodically (it will be used as a default value on some forms).

I know a fair bit about access already and have made a few decent shop databases in the past with auto reorder etc...
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Access GURU needed

Hi,

I suppose one way would be to store the invoice address and labour rate in a table and reference these within the report. Then either change the records directly or via a form.

You could also keep multiple addresses and rates and use a form with a tick box or radio button to highlight which address and rate is currently active for the reports.
N/A

> Hi,
>
> I suppose one way would be to store the invoice address and labour rate in a table and reference these within the report. Then either change the records directly or via a form.
>
> You could also keep multiple addresses and rates and use a form with a tick box or radio button to highlight which address and rate is currently active for the reports.
>

Yeah thats an idea - was hoping there would be a way to just add it as a constant
N/A

> Yeah thats an idea - was hoping there would be a way to just add it as a constant

You could generate the address and rate directly as a query and reference that in the report. I haven't got access to had but something like:

select "1 High St" as addr1, "Norwich" as addr2, "NR1 1AS" as postcode, "17%" as lab_rate

may work - it would do under a lot of SQL based systems anyway.

Alternatively you could look into something like segate "crystal reports" to do this - quite often an old version is available on cover disks.

N/A

> Dont know if this is the right place but here goes:
>
> I have a nice technical question for someone - and there may be a free mars bar for the quickest response...
>
> I need to set up a database in access with some fields such as header items on invoices with the company's address or phone number on the top - but i want to be able to change them periodically without having to go and edit all of my reports etc...
>
> Along the same lines i want to have some constants such as labour rate that is a constant but which can be changed periodically (it will be used as a default value on some forms).
>
> I know a fair bit about access already and have made a few decent shop databases in the past with auto reorder etc...

Don't know Access very well, but have written quite a few Foxpro applications. The approach I use is to have a single table with one record containing all the constant values I might need, then read them into global variables when the program initialises.

This suits Foxpro because you can redistribute single tables in an upgrade. Don't know if you can do this in Access without redistributing the entire database?

Another approach which Perl developers tend to use is read in name=value pairs from a plain text file when the script loads, e.g.

address1=17 My Street
labourrate=5.00
vatrate=17.50

This can be redistributed outside of a database container, provided Access's string manipulation and low level file handling is up to it.

.. and of course that you can display a variable in a report.

HTH