cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abysmal VPN speeds...

N/A

Abysmal VPN speeds...

Hi All
We have a hardware VPN between two business plusnet accounts. When we set them up yesterday we got about 40m/s delays when we pinged over the vpn - now we're getting about 1000m/s and it's unusable. Everything is configured correctly as per manufacturers instructions (Watchguard) so I have to assume it's a network issue - does anyone know if there is anything we can do to improves these readings??

thanks in advance (ps both sites are maxdsl - one upgraded a fortnight ago)
22 REPLIES
N/A

Abysmal VPN speeds...

my VPN is lagging like mad. It can't keep up with my typing in a terminal window.
N/A

Abysmal VPN speeds...

i thought vpn traffic was prioritised over plusnets network - not so sure now there seems to be a big hole somewhere...?
N/A

Abysmal VPN speeds...

Interesting that other people are seeing issues with VPN - I've been seeing lags for months now (especially in a terminal) and occassional failures of the connection, but I'd assumed it must be the company VPN service rather than my internet connection (Homeworker Pro 20:1 - max'd upto 8mb/s) causing the issues. As I work via VPN all day this can be pretty frustrating!

Anyone else have any comments or feedback from support on this? Is there a network prioritisation/configuration issue or do PlusNet think it's ok?

Andy
Liam
Grafter

Abysmal VPN speeds...

We are currently investigating reported issues with VPN clients and traffic possibly not being prioritised correctly through our management platform.

It would be very helpful to us if you could give us some more detailed information regarding your particular VPN setup. i.e. Software / Hardware / Ports / Times / Speeds etc...

If we could have some of these I can get networks to take a look for you.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) _CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Abysmal VPN speeds...

Are you using SSL VPN, and if so what port was configured for the VPN connection, thanks.
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Abysmal VPN speeds...

Should be OK now.
N/A

IPsec VPN

I'm having trouble with an IPsec VPN, when I use windows networking it takes ages to return folder contents to the extent that I get "program not responding" errors and apparently empty folders.

I tried switching to PPTP but it was still awfull.

I used to blame the routers but they've had two firmware updates and I have tried rebooting today.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 3

Abysmal VPN speeds...

bungalow0 > Always had the problem? Or just recently started having problems?
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Abysmal VPN speeds...

@bungalow0

Are you using NAT-Traversal, if so what port and TCP or UDP?
N/A

Abysmal VPN speeds...

Hard to put my finger on it, I'm guessing it's got bad in the last two months as I'm sure it was usable earlier this year.

I'm using a router to router IPsec connection so I won't generally see errors unless I probe the routers.

Oh BTW the server is now unreachable.
N/A

Abysmal VPN speeds...

@bungalow0

Are you using NAT-Traversal, if so what port and TCP or UDP?

To answer your question no as far as I know I'm just using IPsec without encapsulation. I've configured encryption so it should be using ESP (Protocol 50).

As the routers are the endpoints I think that NAT is bypassed and the connection is between the public IP of one router and the public IP of the other.
N/A

Abysmal VPN speeds...

I can't say I've seen any improvement to my VPN connection, it still stalls frequently or disconnects. It could well be an issue with the company network, but having chased it with our internal support desk it doesn't sound like other users have been reporting problems.

Anyway, here's some info regarding the VPN connection if it will help rule out any traffic management etc as a possible cause:

The client is Juniper Networks' Network Connect 5.0.0.10581. It's using SSL for security & transport mode, compression: "deflate". I'm told that it is configured to use port 443. If any more info is required, make a list as I'll have to ask!! (I don't know much about network configurations!)

Pings to the machine that I work on can be as low as 25ms, but I've just seen the highest yet - 4296ms!
I think throughput speed is fine, just that the vpn connection is unreliable and prone to delays/disconnects. I've just been trying to FTP some files from a work server and throughput was 4-to-5mb/s but the VPN connection seems to get trashed within a minute or less - as though it's getting blocked somewhere - and I have to keep reconnecting the VPN to continue!

Also I should comment that the application I work with all day is running on a remote server and uses a local client for rendition/interation. Network traffic (telnet) is sent back and forth between the client/server in real-time, so excessive delays are a really bad thing! I just want to make clear that the data I'm sending really is time-critical! (unlike email data etc)

As I said on the earlier posting, my internet connection is Homeworker Pro 20:1 and has been max'd upto 8mb/s, stable rate is currently 7000. As far as I know my ADSL connection is ok when not using VPN, and my netgear router hasn't indicated any loss of sync/connection.

Is VPN traffic being given highest priority on the network and not being blocked in any way? (This is a business-class package I'm on)

Andy

edit: fixed a couple of typos
N/A

Abysmal VPN speeds...

If its using ssl encryption over port 443, then the ellacoya's will almost certainly assume that its https, unless they go to the trouble of man in the middle attacking the cipher and take a peek at the bitstream and see its not HTTP. Legal issues that may cause aside, I'm fairly sure they don't do that.

In which case your vpn traffic is probably being placed alongside secure web traffic in the priority queues, as to if that is bronze, silver or gold, i couldn't say. Plusnet have said that web is priority traffic (at least compared to p2p, ftp, nntp and the like), so it shouldn't be that slow. But there are plenty of complaints on the forum indicating that even web is slow now. The mystery continues.
oliverb
Grafter

Abysmal VPN speeds...

bungalow0 > Always had the problem? Or just recently started having problems?

Today is good.

Only took two attempts to connect, server is responsive and ping of around 30ms.