Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abuse Master?

Studio_Two
Grafter

Abuse Master?

Hello,

Unfortunately, PlusNet have deleted my webspace today.

What I did not like, was the automated "begging" message I had the indignity of having to send to the "Abuse Master". Who the hell is he?

If my long standing site HAS exceeded the allowed bandwidth, fair enough. I just didn't really care for the way condescending way I was dealt with. Something just did not seem right about that.....

Thanks,
Stephen
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Abuse Master?

The archiving (not deleting) of your website is done by automated systems as soon as they detect you have exceeded the daily traffic limits by 20% (you just get a warning if it's less than 10% over). The email sent out leaves a lot to be desired in terms of it's wording but that's how it is. There has been a lot of discussion on how this could be done better both on the forums and via the PlusNet usergroup but so far PN have not changed it.

There is no 'Abuse master' - if you are refering to the abuse email address, that is just an address that is read by the abuse team'. You just contact CS and explain you will take the necessary steps to stop it happening again and they will restore the website.

To find out what is causing the high traffic on your website, turn on your webstats.
Studio_Two
Grafter

Abuse Master?

Thank You,

The messaging system does leave a lot to be desired. I feel like a criminal begging for mercy at the moment.

To be fair, I did get a warning last week and enabled the web stats as a result. There are a couple of larger files on that were obviously causing the problem (why now all of a sudden I have no idea). They will certainly be removed and this will correct the problem.

Normally, I get ZERO traffic!

Thanks,
Stephen
Community Veteran

Abuse Master?

If the message is the same one they have used for the last 5 years or so then I agree it could cause upset / ill feelings from a customer. I remember rasing this about 2 and a half years ago.

Could you post the message in question for the benefit of all? That way I can be sure of what the message says too!

Chris
Studio_Two
Grafter

Abuse Master?

Hello,

I think in a nutshell, it's the "abuse master" bit that upset me and the fact that I have to "make a case" to have my site re-instated (that's the bit at the end I have replaced with dots).

========================================================

Dear Abuse Master,

I confirm that I understand why my site had access removed. I would like to request that my site is reactivated as soon as possible.

I also understand that if this problem persists, then PlusNet may restrict my site further, and if necessary, remove the site permanently.

I propose to prevent this situation from reoccurring by.............

=======================================================
N/A

Abuse Master?

I can see why it upset you - I wouldn't have liked to have received that without knowing the history.

Perhaps the Marketing Department could re-word it as Chris suggested two and a half years ago.
Community Veteran

Abuse Master?

Stephen, can you post or PM me the actual email you received - a copy should also exist in your contact us page of tickets - so I can check if it has changed at all since this issue was raised some time ago.
Community Veteran

Abuse Master?

Hopefully Peter as a member of the usergroup will be able to raise this elswhere for you. If momory serves it is the same message and while I've never been lucky enough to have such a busy website I imagine it could rile people.

Chris
kitz
Rising Star

Abuse Master?

Peter dunno if the OP has contacted you...
but FYI below is a copy of the email I got a couple of months ago when my own site went way over the daily bandwidth limit.

Reply-To: autoemail@plus.net

Dear Customer,

It has come to our attention that in the last 24 hours your website
has exceeded its bandwidth allowance by a significant amount.

Unfortunately, because of the amount over the limit, your site has
been archived. Please contact us through the website if you want
your site to be restored. - we cannot do this by email or over the
telephone.

Your website used xxxx KB OVER its bandwidth transfer allowance during the last 24 hours.

You may be interested in upgrading to an account with a higher
bandwidth quota; details of the bandwidth allowances are available
on our website at the following URL:

http://www.plus.net/support/webspace/webspaces_faq.shtml#2

You can request that your website be restored by following the guidelines
provided on our webspace FAQ:

http://www.plus.net/support/webspace/webspaces_faq.shtml#7

A condition of your site being restored is that you take precautions to ensure that future levels of usage don't exceed what is allowed on your account.

Kind Regards,
PlusNet Abuse Team

From the link quoted in the email I got the following ;-

In cases of extreme over usage we may have removed your site immediately and without notice, however we do make every effort to contact customers before taking this action wherever the nature of the situation allows.
(lol they did remove it-
the first I knew was when someone else noticed my site was down- but then again it was a lot over the daily limit)

Bandwidth is an expensive resource for an ISP and these limits are in place to protect both us and other users.

If you have had your webspace removed (which I had) and would like it to be restored, you will need to read and agree to the statement below:

I confirm that I understand why my site had its access removed.

I would like to request that my site is reactivated as soon as possible.

I also understand that if this problem persists, then PlusNet may restrict my site further, and if necessary, remove the site permanently.

In the box below, please state what action you propose to prevent this problem from reoccurring.
By submitting this information, you are accepting the statement as above.

(in my particular instance the excessive bandwidth came from one source between a period of time which I was able to id from the web logs)
Community Veteran

Abuse Master?

Not had anything from OP so can't tell if the email has changed or not.
Studio_Two
Grafter

Abuse Master?

Stephen, can you post or PM me the actual email you received - a copy should also exist in your contact us page of tickets - so I can check if it has changed at all since this issue was raised some time ago.

Hello,
I have no problem with the email I received and acccept that the site was over the accepted limits. The message is exactly as described by Kittz (above).

The problem I had was the nature of the automated "begging" message I had to sent i order to get my site re-instated. I have detailed that in an earlier post.

Thanks for you help,
Stephen
LiamM
Grafter

Abuse Master?

Where does this automated email come from?
kitz
Rising Star

Abuse Master?

Where does this automated email come from?

LiamM
Grafter

Abuse Master?

Sorry, what I meant was the "Dear Abuse Master..." email that the OP pasted above. Where has he got that from? Where does it give you that template to reply with? Is it via the ticketing wizard or what?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Abuse Master?

It's generated by a script which runs daily.