cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Absolute Path & .htaccess

N/A

Absolute Path & .htaccess

Hi,

I've pulling my hair out trying to get .htaccess rollin, but with little success. Could anyone tell me what the absolute path to the main "htdocs" server is?
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Absolute Path & .htaccess

> Hi,
>
> I've pulling my hair out trying to get .htaccess rollin, but with little success. Could anyone tell me what the absolute path to the main "htdocs" server is?

Hi Mark,

From our FAQ in the support section of the portal:

You can password protect your directories within your webspace by making 2 small text files.
Firstly which directory do you want to password protect?

It is not a good idea to password protect your main folder i.e: htdocs as people that get the login wrong will no doubt never return to your site.Open a new text document and enter the following...

AuthUserFile /share/isp/plusnet/www/uu/username/htdocs/path/.htpasswd
AuthName "Please Log On"
AuthType Basic
require valid-user
The part you need to change is the uu, username and the path replace the uu with the first two letters of your username, replace the username with your full username and replace the path with the name of the folder you wish to protect. If your username was for instance hotdog and you wanted to protect a folder called stuff the line would look like this...

AuthUserFile /share/isp/plusnet/www/ho/hotdog/htdocs/stuff/.htpasswd
Save the text file as htaccess.txt

Regards,
Robert

| Robert Kelly........................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support...........................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd...............http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------

N/A

> > Hi,
> >
> > I've pulling my hair out trying to get .htaccess rollin, but with little success. Could anyone tell me what the absolute path to the main "htdocs" server is?
>
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> From our FAQ in the support section of the portal:
>
> You can password protect your directories within your webspace by making 2 small text files.
> Firstly which directory do you want to password protect?
>
> It is not a good idea to password protect your main folder i.e: htdocs as people that get the login wrong will no doubt never return to your site.Open a new text document and enter the following...
>
> AuthUserFile /share/isp/plusnet/www/uu/username/htdocs/path/.htpasswd
> AuthName "Please Log On"
> AuthType Basic
> require valid-user
> The part you need to change is the uu, username and the path replace the uu with the first two letters of your username, replace the username with your full username and replace the path with the name of the folder you wish to protect. If your username was for instance hotdog and you wanted to protect a folder called stuff the line would look like this...
>
> AuthUserFile /share/isp/plusnet/www/ho/hotdog/htdocs/stuff/.htpasswd
> Save the text file as htaccess.txt
>
>
>
> Regards,
> Robert
>
> | Robert Kelly........................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Customer Support...........................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd...............http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------
>
>

How do you delete a directory that you've password protected from your site using FTP. I've tried using CuteFTP and it says permission denied.

Daniel
N/A

>
> How do you delete a directory that you've password protected from your site using FTP. I've tried using CuteFTP and it says permission denied.
>
> Daniel

Please see other thread.

Regards,
Robert

| Robert Kelly........................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support...........................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd...............http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------