cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Usage Levels....

suec45
Grafter

About Usage Levels....

Hi there, as I use the net a lot I am constantly worried about receiving a letter telling me I am a 'bad' user and that I will have to find another provider. This is what happened with talktalk (BAD LYING ISP) after being assured the account was unlimited.

I use the net a lot, download a lot of stuff but try and keep it to off peak times. When I do use it at peak times/evening I just play an online games/browse. So my question is, if I keep from downloading at high usage times such as 7-12pm when the peaks are high, am I safe from that letter?

My thinking is that the thing that matters is the highest peak in the graph and so me not using a lot of bandwidth at those times will keep the graph lower. Am I right?

Thanks
6 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

About Usage Levels....

How much is "a lot"?
What does View My Usage give as your monthly total?

But Pn won't just throw you off anyway. They're a lot better than other ISP's in that respect, and if you do become a problem, they will discuss it with you rather than ask you to leave, so I wouldn't worry.
Community Veteran

About Usage Levels....

It depends if you are "using the service to the detriment of others" how much roughly do you use, if you keep downloading to times when there is more bandwith available, you would be less likely to recieve a letter like that but don't forget those times can change.
suec45
Grafter

About Usage Levels....

OK thanks, between 60-80gb a month at the high points (keeping most big downloads till 12-8am.

I am constantly paranoid about getting another letter after the bad talktalk (BAD LYING ISP) experience. It really shocked me since I didnt know I was doing anything wrong, the salesman ASSURED me it was unlimited and since I didnt know anything about FUPs I took him at his word. Sad

Thankfully so far PN have been the IDEAL ISP compared to talktalk being the nightmare scenario. (I really would give tt's support 0/10 , no exaggeration) for lying to me on so many occasions that I waste 6 hours on tech support line bills thinking my comp was at fault when its actually them throttling me to nothing)
Community Veteran

About Usage Levels....

60-80GB you should be fine.
Alecto
Grafter

About Usage Levels....

60 to 80 should be no problem at all, especially given that you are trying to schedule downloads at off-peak times.

Last year, Pn were concerned about the usage of a number of customers and took actiona gainst some, but they were using in excess of 140Gb per month, every month and effectively acting as though they had a 1:1 connection.

Relax. Tongue
suec45
Grafter

About Usage Levels....

Thanks guys, just worried it will happen again and this time with an ISP that I want to keep.

Glad I got my mac code from tt to be honest as they were awful but wouldnt like it to happen hear, PN are too good to loose Smiley