cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to setup subdomains

N/A

Ok, I'm wanting to setup a subdomain of one of the domains I have hosted with PN but have found out that this isn't supported - would it be too much to ask that this could be implemented?

Basically I'm setting up a web photo gallery for the family and I just want to point gallery.mydomain.co.uk at /htdocs/gallery/ - is there a reason this can't be done?
8 REPLIES
N/A

well actually it can.

i currently have subdomain.mydomain.co.uk pointing to my home webserver Smiley

If u browse the help section. and also theres guides on usertools
Community Veteran

Subdomains are possible when you use your username.plus.com name (which points to your PN IP address so you can host your own server at home) but you can't create them to point to your www or ccgi webspace.

This was requested several years ago as an idea but it has never been done and is unlikely to be done now given PNs complete lack of interest in any ideas raised here now or in the past.

See [Idea 2496] Subdomains on hosted domains
N/A

I was actually wanting to point the subdomain at a subfolder of mynormal (static) webspace. It's now looking like I'll just end up pointing it at a webserver at home as you suggest.

It is an annoyance though - surely it can't take too much developmnt work to allow it to be setup?
N/A

hmm i really dont see why u can't point it at "address/folder" :/ must be the way plus has everything setup.
N/A

I suspect PN are using mod_rewrite rather than virtual hosts (a few vhosts are fine under apache but hundreds get abit hardware resource intensive and sluggish)... so the rewrite engine takes the incomming domain and sends it to the correct directories - and has probably been setup for www.<domain>; and <domain> only.

This is just a guess though Wink
JonathanW
Grafter

At the moment, the previously raised idea appears to be sat on the development stack waiting for someone to take a proper look at things and see what needs doing from our side in order to allow this.

I'll have a word with some people and see if any furhter information is available on this so that we can keep you updated.
N/A

Subdomains

I would like to add my interest in having subdomains available. Is there any news on this from PN?

Joe Kennion
:idea:
Community Veteran

you could just go external and move your domain and mail etc to somewhere that will not dissapoint on a frequent basis.

I have recent moved to all my domains and mail to the company where if you ad up the numbers you get 2.

You can have subdomains and external domains all pointed at which ever folder you like in your included webspace.

I ahve 2 completely different domains in different folders and you would not know any different.

You also get upto 350 imap/pop 3 etc and free software.

A