cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to change username

craigbrass
Grafter

It would be good if username changes were easy as clicking a few buttons in the portal.
44 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

I suspect this is unlikely due to the way the systems operate - where everything is based on your username.
craigbrass
Grafter

Ok, have added a poll to this, maybe we can actually get PlusNet to listen about this as alot of us would like this feature. I don't suspect it would be too hard to do if the developers put their minds to it, just a case of getting a script to run and change details like for broadband, forum ect.
LiamM
Grafter

Whilst it would be handy. I don't think Plusnet will consider this. It's been dismissed in the past, and it would take a lot of backend work, including that within BTs system, to setup this feature.

To be honest, it's not really entirely neccesary is it? So spending time, effort and money on such a feature which would receive relatively little usage, is going to be a waste of their time.

Still voted yes, because yes, I would like it. I just don't think we will see it, and I understand the reasons for this.
craigbrass
Grafter

Well what would be another option is if PlusNet modified the way the portal passes over the details to the forum. As in inside the user database of the portal contains an extra field on the end of each username, their forum user id (as in the numbers when you hover over sombodys username). This would mean modorators could change user's usernames and it wouldn't make one squit of differance to any other part of the portal.
N/A

Given how central the usernames are to the PN systems will a good idea in theory this is too complex a change for it to be realistic.

Though maybe PN could offer the opportunity to transfer an account to a new account for a small admin fee... this would how ever remove all your web,cgi,database and other settings.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

To be honest, there's 2 things I'd prefer to see before this (also been told they won't happen);

1. Allow mixed case username
2. Allow ANS* password (larger than 8 chars)

ANS = alphabetical, numerical, special characters

The latter would allow me to use a script I recently wrote to change my password to something a little stronger.... Wink (allows upto 10,000 chars hehe (yep believe it or not, I actually have a password that long :shockSmiley)
craigbrass
Grafter

Yea, that would also be an option. Like a user signs up for a dialup account, plusnet transfer the broadband over to the dialup account and then one of the forum mods could change the username from say "flashasp" to "craigbrass" so all post counts, previous posts and such are kept. It would not phisically require anything at BT's side so PlusNet could charge maybe £5 for this and call it "Small Account Modification".
N/A

I agree that the ability to change usernames would be more hassle than its worth and personally dont think it is worth it.

Without doubt, the inability to create strong usernames and passwords would be my biggest gripe at the moment.

This has been discussed and dismissed in the past.

As i said then, this seriously needs to be looked at as the current system is way behind todays standards.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Why does OP want ability to change user name? For the outside world or for these forums? Sadly PlusNet I fear will not entertain either.

I used to be with Demon and they would make a user name change for a small fee (£10Huh).....if Demon can, why can't PlusNet?

I have asked as have others about changing the name that appears on these forums. This is impossible for PlusNet who say you must use usernames on the forums. If you don't want your "real" user name to appear you are advised to take out a free PAYG dial-up account and pick a user name you would like to use for the forums. Many, many, many forums worldwide allow users to pick a user name....why can't PlusNet?
N/A

I too think it might be helpful in some cases to change your username.
In total agreement with other posts about why it could be too difficult, and without a clear business benefit to PN I wouldn't expect them to do it.
It could defo be handy to be able to alter your forum display name though, in fact, why not also move the sig to the side to sit under the avatar (or around there somewhere)
Password strength and length are ridiculous. This is the only password I have (aside from credit/debit card PINs) that cannot be 10-12 characters, ridiculous in this day and age Cry
craigbrass
Grafter

And once they do allow secure passwords, have a password strenght checker like eBay.
Metalguru
Grafter

IMHO

In this day and age, the capability to use something other than your user name on forums that are accessible to all (including non +net punters) is a MUST HAVE.
craigbrass
Grafter

Yep, hopefully we will get somthing from this now the poll is going in the right direction.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Can I try and understand the reasons for changing your username? From previous discussions on this the following reasons are the most common

change of email address
change of web address
username shown on discussion forum
username set as rDNS

The first three of these can be overcome by registering a free PAYG account and the fourth by changing your rDNS to ip-address.plus.com

Am I missing something?