cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUP A little vague?

Community Veteran

AUP A little vague?

In the ADSL AUP it says -

The use of the service to run open servers, such as SMTP relay, Web proxy and NNTP is prohibited. PlusNet define an open server being one which can be connected to over the Internet by hosts not in a trusted list.

This seems a little vague to me, it suggests the running of webservers might be included (which we know is ok) yet doesn't mention annoymos FTP servers, which AFAIK is not ok.

Surely this could be a little confusing to some people?

Chris
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

AUP A little vague?

I think the reasoning is that any sort of 'relaying' server should not be allowed, seeing as this will effectively double the bandwidth usage (inbound then outbound).

For my own case, I have two machines 'visible' to the internet behind my ADSL connection - both run ssh and web servers, one an FTP server, and the other a MUD server. I have *many* connections on all of these ports from people either infected with viruses (code red is still the most popular), or from people attempting to use my unix webserver as an email proxy.

Bandwidth usage on an NNTP server is phenomenal, even for a fractional feed. Plusnet provide a perfectly useable NNTP server, as well as full mail relaying capabilities, so there is little need for you to run these services internally. For inbound SMTP feeds, designed to cope with higher capacity/complexity internal mail systems, you shoudl still ensure that you do not have an open relay.

The wording of the paragraph could be improved a bit, although Plusnet do seem to be getting the message across.

Barry.
jberry
Grafter

AUP A little vague?

Hi there,

An annonymous FTP server is technically an open server. The keywords are "such as" - we can't list all of the servers that are not prohibited because if a new open server came along we would then have to change our terms and conditions and this is both time consuming and also opens up the "you have 14 days to cancel your service" issue which always increases the amount of work we have to do.

Basically, the listed ones are the ones which cause us the biggest impact but there are many more that could do a similar problem. An example would be unauthenticated telnet access being used as a tool for a DDoS attack (not likely but you get my point).

Regards,
Community Veteran

AUP A little vague?

I understand your point about not including everything, I'm just saying that it would appear to your AUP setting up a public webserver is a breech of the T+Cs as it's an open server i.e no authentication required to view sites etc. Obviously we know its ok but some customers might not.

Chris
Ianwild
Grafter

AUP A little vague?

A web server is not an open server - It does not allow any privilidged access to a machine. That's my definition at least!

At the end of the day we operate with common sense (normally :rollSmiley - If it isn't causing us a problem then we are not going to give you one!

Regards,