cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATM VC congested error

thunderbird30
Grafter

ATM VC congested error

Started off on 2mb connection,but due to constant drop outs,I had to downgrade to 1MB.This I was told by various people would cure my problems.

Now when I telnet into my router to keep an eye on my connection,the error message "ATM VC congested on ***" appears after a while.. I also have some drop outs,but not as many as before.I can understand that drop outs will sometimes occur,but why do they happen at roughly the same period of time? As I'm on a rural exchange,is there any relationship between users of the exchange and quality of service?

In other words,when a lot of people deceide to use their phones/internet connection,does this degrade the exchange capacity?

Thanks for any help!
7 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

ATM VC congested error

Hi,

Your exchange will only have a certain amount of backhaul capacity so it could that when that starts to fill up you start seeing that message.

Take a look at the following and see what status your exchange currently has

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

there could be a known problem that's already being worked on.
thunderbird30
Grafter

ATM VC congested error

"No matches

The input you supplied does not match a valid exchange name, phone number or postcode on record. This does not however mean, it is not on record.

This screen can appear between master updates of the databases. These happen about once every two months. It can also appear if your exchange is not enabled or you have given incorrect information"

(seems like I'll have to wait a bit then!) Smiley
N/A

ATM VC congested error

jon, what did you enter? I'd suggest trying your phone number rather than names as BT's idea of places and yours probably isn't the same Wink
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

ATM VC congested error

Or if you did try phone number try by postcode as the database has problems checking the number if in the past it's been moved over from a cable company.
thunderbird30
Grafter

ATM VC congested error

I've tried phone number,postcode and the exchange name to no avail....Mind you, I do live in quite a rural area (1571 service has only been here just over a year!)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

ATM VC congested error

Hi,

Is the exchange newly enabled? i.e. within the last month? That'll likely be the reason it isn't there. I've just checked the raw data generated on 25th July and your exchange is showing as green, although this will be for the week before that so could have changed in the last week.
kitz
Rising Star

ATM VC congested error

My SAR110 gives messages like this:-

Tue Aug 02 08:33:28 2005 : WARNING : ATM VC Congested : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=38

Although my exchange is supposedly "green" Im still seeing very poor speeds on a 2Mb account of less than 800 kbps every night.

The weird thing is that i dont always get those alarms co-inciding with the lowest speeds, as a speed test at the same time as that error message showed:-
08:33 1864 Kbps (233.0 KB/sec)

Yet later on in the same evening I can get results like this without getting any error logs.

20:33 691 Kbps (86.4 KB/sec)
21:03 540 Kbps (67.5 KB/sec)
21:33 707 Kbps (88.4 KB/sec)