cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASP.NET/ASP2.0 support

N/A

ASP.NET/ASP2.0 support

Will PlusNet ever support ASP.NET on the webspace? I'm a C# ASP.NET/ASP2.0 developer and it would be EXTREMELY helpful instead of finding a separate host for ££'s per month.
7 REPLIES
N/A

ASP.NET/ASP2.0 support

Hi there,

This is somthing which has cropped up many times on the boards.

PlusNet do not run windows servers and are unlikely to do so. As per the other times that this has been asked, I cant see it happening anytime soon.

Soz the news isnt more encouraging.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

ASP.NET/ASP2.0 support

Hi,

This has been looked into in the past but at the moment there are no plans to support ASP. It might happen at some point in the future, but ultimately will be dictated on how much demand there would be for it.
N/A

ASP.NET/ASP2.0 support

Why bother with ASP/ASP.net? PHP is the way to go..
N/A

ASP.NET/ASP2.0 support

ASP is for windows, php for unix.
But I am learning asp,.net and would like to experiment.
Apache does, or used to have an asp module. But even if plus added it, I don't think it would support .net2.

We're trying to move from windows to linux servers, but the linux is in europe, wimndows in the usa. It's expensive to find co-location for even a 1U server, and a small internet voluntary organisation can't afford £250 plus a month.

You can get vitrual hosting packages much cheaper, if you have your own domain. I'd think the best thing would be either to do that, or install the IIS and SQL servers on your own machine. That's what I've done, installed the full Windows .NET2 web and database servers on one of my boxes.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

ASP.NET/ASP2.0 support

Inspiratech are in the UK, extremely cheap (been using them since 2002) and offer Linux and Windows (i.e. you can have the domain running Windows and sub-domains running a mix of Linux and Windows)..... if that helps?

www.inspiratech.uk.com
N/A

ASP.NET/ASP2.0 support

@alawless There are some VPS services around, but much depends on your needs. I guess traffic is high if you want co-lo service and when I see high costs I shy away!

I've recently looked at some US and European hosting services doing VPS and currently have an account costing under $20 as a trial. That's the bottom end package, allows only 5 domains, but offers 1 GB space and 75 GB/month traffic (in this case it is a linux environment), needs ssh to access, allows user to compile and install apps and has some restrictions (against IRC bots, warez, hackers, you know the stuff...)

The cost goes down from $17.95/month to $12.95/month if I pay for a couple of years, so I'm considering that option (but they also have a higher cost package allowing 4 GB storage and so on, a special for June).
N/A

ASP.NET/ASP2.0 support

Ooops - got it wrong... The account I have gives 4 GB of storage (that's the one that's as low as $12.95/month if paying up front).

The one they have a "June special" on has 10 GB storage (for about $21/month, paid annually, or less if one pays for 2 years...).