cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSLMax Reducing Line Speed?

daveyb
Grafter

A post appeared yesterday on uk.telecom.broadband about ADSLMax reducing someone's line speed rather than improving it.

My exchange is now green for ADSLMax and so I thought I'd see what the line checker at BT has to say and was a bit startled to get back "your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 500Kbps or greater." :shock: I'm currently on a very stable 1Mbps connection with 53dB attn. and 15dB SNR!!

Now OK, everyone says that the BT checker is notoriously inaccurate but should ADSLMax actually reduce line speed will there be an option to revert back to the "basic" ADSL product. As I say it's been perfectly stable for me at 1Mbps.

Anyone from PlusNet able to shed any light on this?

Many thanks, David
24 REPLIES
N/A

Does the BT checker actually give your line ATTN and SNR details?Huh
Community Veteran

No I think it just uses a database to see what it thinks you can get.
However the way that maxDSL is supposed to work is that the equipement checks what is stable so if 1meg is stable I see no worry about it giving you less.
daveyb
Grafter

Does the BT checker actually give your line ATTN and SNR details?Huh

No, that's the stats from router (which may be prone to an error margin in anycase).

David
daveyb
Grafter

No I think it just uses a database to see what it thinks you can get.
However the way that maxDSL is supposed to work is that the equipement checks what is stable so if 1meg is stable I see no worry about it giving you less.

.......but then again my coffee mug is half empty Wink
Community Veteran

I did say "supposed to work" Wink

But I'm fairly confident that if your line is currently stable at 1 meg it should at least remain at that speed and possibly even increase to 1.5 meg. Smiley
N/A

Hi all

Ive just been on the nildram site put me phone number in and it rekons i should get around 4.5Mb on dsl max, so its just a waiting game now for PN to get the ball rolling.
N/A

I can't wait Smiley for mine to be upgraded!

"Speeds: Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 6.5Mbps up to 8Mbps. "

billing date 6th
N/A

Re: ADSLMax Reducing Line Speed?

Now OK, everyone says that the BT checker is notoriously inaccurate but should ADSLMax actually reduce line speed will there be an option to revert back to the "basic" ADSL product. As I say it's been perfectly stable for me at 1Mbps.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but despite what PN CS are saying (at least on support tix) ADSLMax is not a new technology. It is basic ADSL with new, less exacting, connection criteria?

It also has more incremental sync speeds?

The BT line checker for my number now tags the line as "very unlikely" to receive 250kbps ADSL, downgraded from 500kbps. It's not slower per se, but since BT is now allowing for slower sync speed first base for marginal lines is half what it used to be. At least that's what looks to be happening.

I should say that despite being about 10 km from the exchange we've receive a rock steady 1mb connection since autumn and the SNR is high enough to accommodate 3mb. If you are on a rural exchange, the BT line checker is irrelevant. There is one street light on the 10km stretch, but if it were in a city or town, the interference at that line length would no doubt be overwhelming.

I've got an order into PM to upgrade it to 2mb or 3mb, will see what happens.
chymorva
Grafter

I can't wait Smiley for mine to be upgraded!

"Speeds: Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 6.5Mbps up to 8Mbps. "

billing date 6th

Spooky :shock: Mine is exactly the same and also the same billing date.
What Attn & SNR do you have ?
I get 9.8 & 33.3 with a 2MB connection.
willhome
Grafter

24 and 25 with 2mbps
Community Veteran

Hi all

Ive just been on the nildram site put me phone number in and it rekons i should get around 4.5Mb on dsl max, so its just a waiting game now for PN to get the ball rolling.

Goody, goody, goody!!! Thanks for suggesting looking at Nildram, 'simmo'. I checked my exchange status earlier today and found everything was to schedule and Max DSL has been enabled. Putting in my phone number on Nildram I see I'll be able to get 5.5 Mb, which isn't bad considering I'm around a mile away from the exchange as the crow flies. Roll on my free upgrade!
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
willhome
Grafter

a lot of isp have the checking max dsl speed option now... best place to go is www.samknows.com Wink
Community Veteran

Coo! That one says 5.5Mb or greater!

[Moderator's note by Tom (tomspcs) : Removed full quote of preceding post as it is not required or allowed.]
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
N/A

What Attn & SNR do you have ?
I get 9.8 & 33.3 with a 2MB connection.

Dunno I've only got as bog standard Binatone modem Shockedops: