cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL will not sync - but plus.net can find no fault.

N/A

The speed of my ADSL line, which has been fine for many years, increased from 2Mbps to 7.6Mbps a couple of months ago. It worked fine for the first month or so, and then started loosing sync and taking minutes to reconnect, it then go worse and was taking hours to reconnect. Last time it took 3 or 4 days to reconnect. It was OK for a couple of days and then lost sync. It is currently been trying for 4 days and still will not sync.

I have tried 3 different modems and filters and 2 different PCs. This made no difference. I took my PC and modem to a friends house, and it synced to his talk-talk connection immediately.

I have had the modem, and nothing else, connected to the master socket.
There are no extensions off this socket.

When it is connected the reported measurements from my modem look fine:-

Noise margin upstream +128dB
Noise margin downstream +9.9dB
Attenauation upstream +21dB
Attenuation downstream +33dB
Max Tx PSD -38dBm/Hz

Plus.net are saying that they can find no prob and will have to refer it to BT. Plus.net have told me that if BT "confirm that there is no fault" then I will be charged a "failed fault check fee" of at least £46 (No maximum specified).

I am worried that BT will find be unable to find a fault - as plus.net appear to have - and I will be stung for some unspecified charge. Has anyone had any experience of this?

The simplest solution seems to be to move to another ISP, but they need a MAC code, and my request to plus.net to provide one seems to be being ignored.

Many Thanks for any help or comments,

Ken
14 REPLIES
decomplexity
Rising Star

If you are convinced that your modem and master socket are OK (and have you tried using the internal socket inside the NTE5 master socket? - which you are not supposed to but is a useful test as it as near as you can get to the BT-owned wiring) and that the fault is hard (not intermittent), then allowing PN to call BT is the right thing to do. And perhaps the only thing to do since if you change ISPs, your new ISP will be using exactly the same local loop cabling and (unless it is an LLU supplier) exchange equipment as PN. And they would probably put you straight on to DSLmax as well. My experience of hard sync faults is that BT fix them. It is the intermittent ones which are the difficult ones!
It is conceivable that your conversion to DSLmax took a bad line over the threshold altogether, but your figures suggest otherwise. Much more like a faulty joint in a roadside NT CAB or the local exchange So is the phone service on the line fine ? There is often some correlation between the broadband sync faults and line noise (paradoxically, a marginally dicky broadband line may sync when a call is in progress and drop out afterwards; I have never seen a cogent explanation for this but have seen it several times on different lines).
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
N/A

Any particular times that your sync loss happens?
N/A

Many Thanks for the replies.

The 'phone line is loud and clear with no cracles, pops or noise.

I have just tried the socket inside the master socket. It made no difference.

The loss of sync, when it was intermittent, seemed to be random. It was not affected by the phone on/off hook or ringing.

The modem will not sync at all now (been trying for 4 days), with the 'phone on or off hook, or unplugged. I have tried dialing a single digit on the phone to get rid of dial tone. The line was very quiet, but still no sync on the ADSL.

If the 7.6Mbps was greater than the line should handle, surely it should drop back to a slower speed, rather than toatlly refuse to sync?

If BT investigate when/if the fault has gone away again, as it has in the past, will I get charged ££££££££s (I was told by plus.net at least £46 + VAT = £54, and no maximum given)?
This problem occured originally last week. Wouldn't sync for 3 days, then connected fine for 2 days.

Thanks Again,

Ken
N/A

With your modem/router unplugged, on your phone dial 17070, option 3, 1, 2, 2. What does it report back ?

Might be water ingress/resistance.
N/A

Thanks gotdsl,

"17070, option 3, 1, 2, 2" rings back and reports "line test OK".

Cheers,

Ken
Community Veteran

If you can, try a new cable to connect your router to your phone line. Another user on this forum had a similar problem, and the cause was this cable.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Thanks godsell,

Tried 3 different modems each with different cables. Unfortunately, this made no difference.
(Also tried 2 different PCs).

Cheers,

Ken
James
Grafter

Hi there,

If BT are unable to find a fault in their diagnostics and are forced to send an engineer, you would not be charged unless it is your router/filter/internal wiring at fault. From what it sounds like to me, all of your stuff is sorted, so should not be an issue.
N/A

Plus.net are saying that they can find no prob and will have to refer it to BT. Plus.net have told me that if BT "confirm that there is no fault" then I will be charged a "failed fault check fee" of at least £46 (No maximum specified).

I am worried that BT will find be unable to find a fault - as plus.net appear to have - and I will be stung for some unspecified charge. Has anyone had any experience of this?

It's scaremongering. About 5 months ago my router would not sync for a whole week and I spend hours double checking everything to make sure it wasn't my fault, even though I knew it wouldn't be. As soon as BT were involved it was fixed, I advise people to not worry about it and ask for BT referral unless they've changes their router setup just prior to the problem.
N/A

It's scaremongering

Hi there.

Not quite scaremongering but a means to ensure that when we end users have a fault, or experience an issue that we ensure the necessary checks are carried out. To bluff and say that the checks have been carried out when they have not could lead to a hefty bill and rightly so.

A BT engineer wasting his or her time trying to fix a fault which turns out to be a faulty filter and which should have been identified during the initial checks is quite right to level a charge. That bit of time wasting could mean that some other customer with a genuine fault has to wait a bit longer for a repair.

So rather than scaremongering, i'd prefer to call it a safety net. Smiley
lhorwath
Grafter

As Mark advised, but also....

BT were getting a bit annoyed at certain Tier 1 ISPs just passing faults to them with no diagnostics, then arranging engineer visits, so they started clamping down hard and billed everyone that involved not only a visit from an engineer, but also a phone call, where the fault was found to be at the end users end.

We are strict on customers performing the checks, so they are not levied with this charge.
N/A

I appreciate the difficulties BT face and there does need to be some kind of net. However if someone has had a perfectly fine connection for 6 months without making any changes and it suddenly does not sync it is very unlikely to be a problem at the user's end. Every time there has been a serious problem I've had done things like change the cabling, test different routers etc and I still wasnn't encouraged to get BT involved despite 3 phonecalls. I know how stupid some users can be but I think if basic suggestions over the phone do not fix the problem Plus.net should get BT involved instead of sending the person off to waste hours of their time and spend more days offline.
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi ikdkbk,

Its a difficult one.

Over 20% of faults raised to BT from previous working connections are due to hardware/filters/wiring (this figure increases for new connections). And that's just from those raised to BT!!!

Not all customers are aware of the exact checks that are needed and this does result in several calls/contacts to the support centre.

It would be easier for us to just raise a fault to BT (only one contact, no arguments with customers etc...), but this would not be fair on either our customers or our suppliers.
N/A

Plug the modem into the line as normal, and then plug a telephone into the line WITHOUT a microfilter. Lift the phone, press 1 to get rid of the dial tone and then ask the modem to connect. It will obviously fail to connect but you should hear the modem faintly in the background attempting an connection. The best kind of phone to do this test with seems to be a hardwired phone (cheaper the better) - so don't do it with cordless ones.