cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL user connecting away from home

N/A

I've got a wireless router connected to the old ADSL Home Self-Install (Monthly Contract), and have recently added a laptop for my wife, to the home network.

She occasionally works away staying in digs taking the laptop with her, and it would be good if she could make dial-up connections without costing her landlady phone charges.

I've read somewhere that an ADSL customer can connect when away from home. Can anyone tell me if:

* There's a free number she can use for when working away, and whether or not I'd have to turn off the router back at home here while she connects (that is, if our account can't be driven from 2 places at once_, or

* If there's a local number she can use (and if I can be on ADSL at the same time as it is being dialled in to, or not).

Maybe there's a help page covering this, but I can't find it!

thanks in advance
5 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

ADSL customers can connect whilst away from home, however on the ADSL accounts we can only offer an 0845 number, so call charges would be incurred for dialing in. Additionally, due to the way that the accounts are set up, you can't dial into the ADSL account whilst the ADSL is connected at home.
LiamM
Grafter

Your ADSL service comes with backup 0845, which is local rate, but you can only use it when your ADSL is inactive (i.e. they cant both be used at the same time).

Your best bet would be to sign up for a free PAYG dialup account with a different username and use that to dialup.

Alternatively, if you want the calls to be free, then you could choose a subscription dialup account with a free dialup number. You can add different numbers so that you can dialup from multiple locations.
N/A

Thanks, so:

If she can dial in on 0845 under our home ADSL account as long as it's inactive at home, that might work (my wife can always phone me to tell me she's going on line), but what would I have to do at home, to render it temporarily 'inactive' - switch my wireless router off?

or, if she got a PAYG dialup account, could she get/send emails from her laptop's Outlook Express, to her '@pentron.plus.com' mail account, while connected in her dialup account?

cheers
JonathanW
Grafter

In order to disconnect at home, you just need to disconnect the router from the phone line, though you don't have to switch it off. The other option is to check the router's configuration page, as many of them allow you to disconnect.

If she were connecting through dialup on a different username, she'd still have full access to email on the main ADSL account.
N/A

Thanks!