cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL problem

N/A

ADSL problem

Hi, I have a problem with my new ADSL installation with PlusNet, everything is up and running great, very easy to get going, the upload download speeds and stuff all seem better than my previous BT connection so pretty much all going great but it will drop the line whenever I recieve a phone call, I can make phonecalls and it has no effect on the ADSL line, it just drops when recieving them, its not big problem as my router reconnects immediately but if I can sort it I would like to, I am assuming the problem is down to me being cheap Wink and I don't have the right (a dabsvalue jobby) or enough filters (only one filter for the socket which I connect to my pc ), so what I have is 4 phone sockets in total, three which have phones and other stuff on and one which I have my filter plugged into which only has my computer connected to it and no voice devices.

What do I need to do to resolve the issue,had a little search but not sure do i buy a better filter or buy more filters, I am a bit confused as to what the solution would be.

Cheers
Sandy
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL problem

Hi there Sandy,

This is definately a problem with your splitters. Splitters are the devices that stop your DSL interfering with your normal phone service and vice-versa. I would suggest purchasing a replacement set (or using a method of trial-and-elimination to remove any faulty ones). You can obtain these cheaply from somewhere like www.insight.com/uk.

Kind Regards,
Mike

--
| Mike Grice....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

Just to re-iterate - The only thing that doesn't need a filter is actually your PC / ADSL Modem! You should have a filter on each telephone socket which has any device attached.

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

" I would suggest purchasing a replacement set (or using a method of trial-and-elimination to remove any faulty ones). "

Thanks, I thought the splitter would be the culprit, you mention faulty ones in your post, it seems implying more than one splitter, I only have one splitter, do I need a splitter for each of my 4 phone sockets or just one splitter for the socket my router is connected to?

Thanks again
Sandy
N/A

> Just to re-iterate - The only thing that doesn't >need a filter is actually your PC / ADSL Modem! >You should have a filter on each telephone socket >which has any device attached.

I've always thought the same, however the setup guide for the adsl modem at
https://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=221 says

"Plug microfilters into your telephone sockets. Microfilters need only be plugged into the sockets on the line that PlusNet Broadband is being supplied on.

The microfilters prevent the different signals of the ADSL service and the standard voice telephony service interfering with one another on the same line. You must plug all communications equipment (including telephones and fax machines) into the microfilters, as well as the connecting cable from your ADSL modem."

Surely the last line "as well as the connecting cable from your ADSL modem" is a little confusing?

N/A

> Thanks, I thought the splitter would be the culprit, you mention faulty ones in your post, it seems implying more than one splitter, I only have one splitter, do I need a splitter for each of my 4 phone sockets or just one splitter for the socket my router is connected to?

You need a splitter (or filter) for every telephone. Strictly speaking you do not need a splitter for your adsl modem, other than that is the easiest way to get the right connector.

Dabsvalue are probably OK. I have two dabsvalue and two more expensive ones. I can use them in any combination on any of my 'phones or ordinary modem.

--
Brian
N/A

Thanks Guy, guess I'll have to crowbar open me wallet at some point then :cheese: