Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL is a joke

Grimbo
Grafter

ADSL is a joke

Well tonight just takes the biscuit.

I am in amongst 20 players in Medal of honour and the average ping rate is about 70 (some 50, some up to 100) and my average? 600 - (400-800).

I don't know how much longer I can put up with this. I need a date when this is going to be fixed - ok, not a specific date, but is it going to be April, May or beyond.

Anyone thinking of installing ADSL - save your money and buy a couple of carrier pigeons.
21 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL is a joke

> I am in amongst 20 players in Medal of honour and the average ping rate is about 70 (some 50, some up to 100) and my average? 600 - (400-800).

This is abnormal. If this is a regular occurence I'd recommend raising a fault through "Contact Us". We will then escalate this to BT and have this investigated.

> I don't know how much longer I can put up with this. I need a date when this is going to be fixed - ok, not a specific date, but is it going to be April, May or beyond.

Our new ADSL FAT pipe is expected to be installed by the end of the month - everyone should see improvement at that time, however I still recommend raising a fault on the above.

Kind Regards,
Mike

--
| Mike Grice.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

dum de dum, same here, playing UT I average a ping of around 350-400... i'm just waiting till next tuesday to see if the problems go away before raising yet another ticket.
Grimbo
Grafter

Hey Saf,

I wonder whether PlusNet would appreciate their £39.99 paid 1 pence per minute, the way that ADSL works :-)

I have sent this message by ADSL and carrier pigeon - but I expect you got the pigeon first.
N/A

Well I am reasonably happy - the speed is such an improvment over 56k dialup. But.... I work at night, which means I am about 12 miles away from my PC. Not very helpfull that ports/bandwidth throttles occur during the day. Still, if this is gonna be sorted at the end of the month then I can wait.
N/A

Hi,

Apologies for the problems you are experiencing with your ADSL connections at the moment. When the pipe is installed later this month you will definately see a huge improvement in the service.

Regards
--
| Dean Wood..........................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support Agent..............for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

You could always move to BTOW.
BTOW know about the high ping rates they suffer from but they don't seem to want to do anything about it.
At least plus.net have acted upon this issue and upgrading the pipe.

I know this is a pain for you gamers but it will be resolved soon.

Darran.
Grimbo
Grafter

> You could always move to BTOW.

Be serious please.

The choice is ADSL vs cable modem.
N/A

I dont get the joke and i dont get ADSL either in both cases i should im still waiting for the latter to be fixed but theirs no chance of the former as I had a sense of humour bypass operation yesterday as its illegal to think BT is a joke.

Ali
N/A

For a laugh I decided to play Diablo ii with a mate. He is on 56K dialup. Lag was *so* bad that I couldnt pick up objects/hit monsters accurately and would die in seconds. Friend was *fine*.

Both connect to the Europe server. This is terrible.......

Counterstrike is unplayable as ping is up in the 300s and MOHAA is spinning up to the 600s. Odd as I tested the games on a BTOW at a neighbours house and all he got was 50-80 pings......

Grrrr grrrrr
N/A

Your ping is rubbish beacuse PlusNet have Network Management activated a week ago, this gives http/ftp/vpn traffic priority.

As a result everything else suffers games, streaming A/V, P2P fileshares etc...

It is nothing to do with the new pipe coming as these problems have mainly reared their head in the past week or so.

It is of MY opinion that the new pipe wont fix this, only changes in thier network managment software will.
N/A

> You could always move to BTOW.
> BTOW know about the high ping rates they suffer from but they don't seem to want to do anything about it.
> At least plus.net have acted upon this issue and upgrading the pipe.
>
> I know this is a pain for you gamers but it will be resolved soon.
>
> Darran.

Thats why I said i'll wait till Tuesday (new pipe) and see if there are any improvements.

The service (technical/customer) i've recieved from plus.net has been top notch I have no complaints there, but my primary use for ADSL is gaming and it's frustrating when you're pinging 5 times what you should be on ADSL, other than gaming I don't use it for much, I do like most download large files and the speeds i'm getting for that are more than acceptable.

Like I say, shall wait till Tuesday and hope for a great improvement in the gaming area as it's totally unplayable at the moment.
N/A

but isn't the traffic management a temporary thing ? at least I thought it was...
N/A

> > You could always move to BTOW.
>
> Be serious please.
>
> The choice is ADSL vs cable modem.
>

If you'd read what I said, you may of got my point and realised I was being serious.
My point being that BTOW have had similar problems in the past with high ping rates.
BTOW have denied this as a problem in the past (plenty of postings during late 2000 - 2002 on adslguide about this).
At least plus.net have admitted this is a problem and acting on it.

Lets just see what happens after the 23rd.

Darran.
Grimbo
Grafter

Darran,

Surely you understand that Plusnet are just reselling BTs ADSL service!

As I said... the choice is between ADSL or cable modem, not BT or Plusnet!