cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL down time

N/A

ADSL down time

Hi there: No doubt the question of comp or free dial up will rear it's head again so here's a suggestion.

What about increasing the ADSL subscription by £1.00 per month so that when the service goes tits up we can dial in for free. Would this be a viable option even if you were restricted to say 1 to 2 hours per day.

No doubt i will get some serious stick for this idea but what the hell at least it would be something. How about it +net is it worth having a look at the numbers and what do the rest of you on ADSL think.
2 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

ADSL down time

HI Reset,

Unfortunately this isn't really viable. I did some rough calculations and worked out it would have to be more like an extra £11 a month in order to provide anything like a usable service when there was an ADSL outage. (We would have to buy in a lot of spare capacity to cope with the sudden demand).

It is a nice idea though, and if BT ever give us something which allows "Pay as you go" port management, rather than fixed cost ports at £100 a month with a 3 year minimum contract, then this is perhaps something we can look at.

We have, for some time now, been considering somthing similiar though - A chargable extra which included 0808 backup and subscription to the BT "TotalCare" product, (which gives a better fault resolution SLA). That would likely come in at an additional £15 - £20 a month mark, so would only really be useful for businesses who really relied on their ADSL and need a 24/7 backup if it ever goes down. I'd would certainly be interested to know if there would be more widespread demand for something like that?

With Regards,
LastRoMan
Grafter

ADSL down time

If I may but in here! I for one having experienced - on one ocassion last year £12 extra in DUN charges .

Then this year and last - "have you tried unplugging your PCI or swapping one with a friend, moving your PC downstairs so you can connect direct to the primary BT socket, removing, re-installing your drivers, downloading new drivers etc etc" I am at present a reasonably mobile 63 year old - but as my joints... Put it this way - Is ADSL going to improve and perhaps one day be "reliable" so I don't have to wade through all that cr@p!

If it meant I could have a more robust "always on" connection without having to jump through hoops to get anything done about it; without it being assumed that the fault resides in my PC unless I can put up a very good case to suggest it might be an exchange problem - like unplugging and reinserting the DSLAM. With a sting in the tail - that if it is an intermittent fault like mine that BT may come back and say there is no fault and charge me £100.

Then yes even though it is not a life and death situation - I could save myself a great deal of time and energy if I paid someone else to back up my service.

Even while I have been typing this my ADSL connection has gone down many times!! Ding, ding, ding, ding... ding... ... ding - like Chinese torture!
:x :x :x

I finally had a solid connection after nearly an hour this time.