cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL dial down from 11:00 to 19:30

leahk
Grafter

I have to ask, why does one node take the service down - surely there is a resilient backup - something this big can't have a single point of failure?

The other thing I don’t understand is why when the service status message say “some of our users are effected” I always seem to be one of them?

At the very least the should be a provision to provide dial-up without charge whilst the ADSL service is unavailable)

Kevin Leah,
Sussex (nowhere near Manchester)
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I think there is backup as most of the BT network is now setup like a ring main so that if one part of the ring fails then signals can find an alternative route to get through.
This would explain why you are affected even if you are nowhere near Manchester as all the traffic that was passing via the failed node is now trying to route another way. I.e. through a node that you use causing congestion.

PlusNet have alway said that they cannot provide a free dial up in case of ADSL outage as it would mean increasing the cost to customers in order to pay for the ports that would be sat there unused for most of the time.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Re: ADSL dial down from 11:00 to 19:30

At the very least the should be a provision to provide dial-up without charge whilst the ADSL service is unavailable

The problem affects dial up services as well. This is an issue affecting BTs infrastructure. Not ours.

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

I live in the Manchester area and am one of those affected by the line fault etc. I cannot understand how the dial up connection with plusnet does not work when I can connect by using both of my alternative free backup dial accounts with other providers? I can understand the ADSL not working but why is it that it is only the PlusNet dial up number that does not work when other providers do?
leahk
Grafter

PlusNet have alway said that they cannot provide a free dial up in case of ADSL outage as it would mean increasing the cost to customers in order to pay for the ports that would be sat there unused for most of the time.

Surly this is not about Plusnet but BT - they are not providing the service they are being paid for, they should pick up the cost. It appears that the dial-up is out too so not only am I without the service, but I am using up my valuable quota on my G3 card to keep connected.

If there are any service failures, then Plusnet should provide compensation, even if this is just by a extending the contract renewal date . If the problem is due to BT, then Plusnet should recover the cost from BT.

<WAKES UP>
Sorry for a moment I forgot that BT is a monopoly and doesn't have to worry about customer service or enter into SLAs with conpensation provisions.
N/A

The outage has not affected dial up users on Anglesey, just DSL ones, checked one friend with DSL that was down, another with dial up, and she had no probs at all.

Still, mine is all sorted, lost about 2 and half hours, so nothing to grumble about from me, these things happen I guess, pain in the derriere when they do, but hey!
Community Veteran

<WAKES UP>
Sorry for a moment I forgot that BT is a monopoly and doesn't have to worry about customer service or enter into SLAs with conpensation provisions.

Now you are back in the land of reality :?
N/A

The problem affects dial up services as well. This is an issue affecting BTs infrastructure. Not ours.

Regards,

That is strange cause I'm using dialup no problem, so what is the problem
Community Veteran

It will affect some people but not others depending on whether your connection goes through the Manchester RAS or not.
N/A

I was lucky that while my ADSL was down, I managed to jerry rig an old modem to my PC and dial up from here in gale lashed Castle Donington and connect and find out that it would be about 4pm when it was fixed. Imagine the excitement when I realised that 4pm was a typing error and it was really 4am Wink

In all seriousness I can hardly blame Plus.net for BTs error (I would love to know what happened, though, to wipe out such a large proportion of the country). And I know that in the 10 months so far it's still been far more reliable than my time with ntl:
N/A

Its really not good enough that companies with massive resources + masses of £££££ provide such a crap service(BT). My connection has been up and down for days and on Saturday I gave up trying. Why is it always Manchester thats affected...someones arse needs kicking at Bt Manchester. :x
N/A

But BT does enter into SLAs and similar.
If you have a BT phone and the line goes down then compensation is possible. I'm sure the bigger customers such as ISPs have compentsation clauses written in (Pretty stupid if not!) But if they do I would also doubt that will get passed back to the customers.

oops. I read up more and see they don't provide SLAs. Surprised me that did
N/A

From what I read elsewhere, apparently it was a major failiure in Marconi equipment on "node 5" at Manchester.

This was apparently (after a lot of discussion between BT and Marconi) repaired by replacement.

Engineers are apparently due in on Monday from Canada (where the offending kit came from) to give the faulty (and now removed) equiment a serious coat of looking at. ...

Dunno whether that is correct or not, but it is what I'm seeing posted elsewhere ...
N/A

i live in cheshire and my connections has been down since some time yesterday afternoon ..9:15am now.
So think yourselfs lucky Cheesy .. i was having withdrawel symptoms all night. Cheesy

If i remember right the manchester RAS was the one that burst into flames afew months ago and was totaled so i'm not surprised there's still problems.
N/A

tracer
yes your right m8 it was the manchester one that set on fire.....guess what tho I wasnt affected in that one but i was in yesterdays.

now if im allowed to go slightly off topic (but it could be related) since the recent connection problems Im having the following trouble on my home network. My pc downstairs is fine and will connect to all sites i normally visit....if my wife is on upstairs pc and wants to login to one particular site she cant...doesnt even see it and gets page cant be displayed BUT, i can see the site as normal at the same time. Ive cleared cookies /history reboot and all that but still no joy.....is this related to the manchester node.....Btw other sites are accesible its just one paticular site....

ty