cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL connectivity and server setup problem

N/A

Hi,
I've been with plusnet for over a year now and I am thinking about mooving away.
Reason is that with current connection setup there are so meny web sites or even just pages that I can not access. I get message something like ' The requested Web page is denied by system administrator. Please contact with the administrator for further informationhe.'
And also on many of the web pages certain features like buttons just do not work.
However I have got VPN connection with my server at work which uset BT ADSL and as soon as I connect to that all my problems go away.
This would sugest that it's not my computer or browser settings are at fault.
I also used different browsers IE, Opera, Mozilla all with the same results.

Has anyone else experienced similiar ills or maybe somebody knows a fix?

I will be grateful for your comments.
Thomas Sad
18 REPLIES
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi there,

Do you want to raise a ticket about this first please. We can then investigate further for you.

If you can put in as much information as possible please to assist the diagnostics.

Kind regards

Luke
N/A

Hi,

I just raised a ticket a minut ago but I am also wondering if someone else experienced the same problem which it seem like at gateway or name server.
On the other hand if I am the only one buggered with this then i do not know what to think of it.

Thanks

Thomas
painswck
Grafter

Hi Thomas,

Have not experienced the same problems as you.

Only time I have problems with buttons doing strange things is on sites that have been written around IE and I am using Firefox.

Like to post an example site and can see if I get the same here.

Roland
N/A

The requested Web page is denied by system administrator. Please contact with the administrator for further informationhe.

"Denied" messages like the above would and could not be cause by PlusNet.

These are caused by four main things.

1: Firewall

Firewalls often prevent access to certain sites, due to content type, viral like distribution and genral blocks

2: Proxies

Viruses and previous ISPs may have caused a proxy to be setup on your computer.

Freeserve/Wanadoo are famous for this activity. When you switch ISPs, it can cause all sorts of havok like this

3: Spyware.

They can hijack your connection and cause all sorts of kaos.

4: Viruses

Can simply reap all sorts of havok

Proxies and Firewalls are usualy on a per connection basis. This can mean your normal net connection is broken, but VPN is fine.

Have you tried different browser software, which should use independant settings. Thus proxies should be rulled out.

Have you tried disabling firewalls on your connection hardware and software, and any software firewalls running on your computer.

To be frank. A "Denied" message can only come from local software and hardware. ISPs can also only generate it, if they use transparent proxy servers. PlusNet do not run these, so there is no possible way, PlusNet themselves can be causing this.

As such, I would consider your wanted to leave premature, as you would only likely see this with another ISP.
N/A

Hi,

Thanks guys for your comments, to address things you pointed out in them:

I have tried a few different browsers ( IE, Opera7.5 and Mozilla ) with the same effect.

One of the web sited giving me no access is www.autotrader.co.uk.

On www.loot.co.uk for example the little icons next to advert which tell you how old the ad is will not show, there is a line in their place.

On www.ebay.co.uk many itens got multiple images with on big and thumbnails for the rest and if you click on small one it is being shown as big. This does not work for me most of the time bute sometime it does.

On some sites everything seem to be fine untill I click 'download' and call administrator thing pops up.

On others the links or the buttons will just do nothing and 'error on the page' w#message will show in bottom left corner of browser.

I have mooved to PlusNet from BT Openworld but I did not know about possibility of transfer so my ADSL was dissconnected and then connected again.

I am running about 3 Months old clean install of Windows 2000 with Panda Internet Security installed from the biginning.

I have ADSL Router with firewall but I had it disabled still with no joy.
The same setup was in operation when I was with BT and everything was fine.
When VPN in connected each web page request goes the shortest way firt, through PlusNet and if something is wrong it travels through VPN.
I will try to disable it again.

With VPN on all the ills go away which leads me to conclusion that on my side everything is all right.
If it was firewall or software ( browser ) it should behave the same way no matter which way the web pages are comming.
Am I right?

Thanks
Regards

Thomas
Community Veteran

Have you tried it without the Panda software running - you may have to actually uninstall it before it stops effecting your internet connection.

I.e. try with nothing else interfering with your connection to Plusnet.

I can access all 3 websites your detail above without anty problems which makes me think it's still a local issue with youir system rather than PlusNet.

Have ypu run a full virus scan, not just with Panda but with some other online scanners. Have you done a full disk spyware/malware scan with Adaware and spybot search & destroy? Have you done a trojan scan?

Links to all thw above tools can be found in the following tutorial: General: Essential Security software
N/A

I've been with PlusNet for over a year dispite all that though it manifested itself from the biginning.
Throughout this time I had meny different computer setups with different operating systems, all with the same symptoms.
Full hard drive virus scans and Panda also deals with trojans, spyware and all others.

I think I also had my old USB modem connected at some stage with no joy.

I will try a USB again with Panda disabled and will see if it is goung to do some good.

The con fusing thing is that some of the things like ebay sometime work.
What that depend on?

Regards
Thomas
lowry
Grafter

Hi there,
I also think that it sounds like a local problem as I can access all of the sites that you have mentioned fine. I see that you have used Panda Virus software to check for the presence of viruses - you could also try an online scan like Symantec's Online Scanneror download the McAfee Stinger to check for well-known viruses for the rare chance that Panda did not pick anything up it should have done.

matt Wink
N/A

im getting that too

im getting that sorta thing too i cant get to www.ebay.co.uk

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>tracert www.ebay.co.uk

Tracing route to www.ebay.co.uk [66.135.192.41]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 23 ms 15 ms 17 ms lo0-plusnet.ptn-ag1.plus.net [195.166.128.123]
3 20 ms 17 ms 17 ms ge1-0-0-902.ptn-gw1.plus.net [212.159.1.155]
4 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms ge-4-1.metro1-londencyh00.London1.Level3.net [212.113.11.33]
5 22 ms 17 ms 17 ms so-1-3-0.gar2.London1.Level3.net [212.113.3.29]

6 21 ms 17 ms 15 ms ge-0-3-0-0.bbr2.London1.Level3.net [4.68.128.125
]
7 87 ms 83 ms 81 ms as-0-0.bbr1.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.68.128.106]
8 162 ms 157 ms 159 ms ge-0-1-0.bbr2.SanJose1.Level3.net [64.159.1.130]

9 161 ms 157 ms 159 ms ge-9-1.ipcolo2.SanJose1.Level3.net 64.159.2.100]
10 * * * Request timed out.

microsoft.com not working nor is msn messenger.

I have raised a ticket too.
N/A

Hop 1 is your router/connection hardware, and it is quite normal, to see no results from this.

The hop prior to the errors at the end, is Level3. Level3 are well known for blocking IMCP packets, and as a result, is quite normal.

What router/modem are you using, and are you able to get access to another one (different model) for testing purposes?
N/A

Hi mate thanks for the prompt reply,

im using a connext adsl router..i have been using it with btopenworld perfectly fine for about 2 years now.

I wont be able to get hold of another router untill tom evening (i have one at work)

Do you think it could be caput...

Other sites and things work ok like autotrader.co.uk
N/A

Caput, no. Causing problems, a possibility.

Different hardware is very handy, as it rules out the connection equipment (AKA, a possibility of a feature in one, won't be apparent in all others).
N/A

any ideas what settings and things i should be looking at checking?
painswck
Grafter

Hi itthomass,

Have to agree with the others as I have no problems with those sites using a firewall on my router and a software firewall on this machine.

I wonder if Panda is your problem - just looked at the spec and it seems to do all sorts of things like content filtering and spam blocking. Just wonder if it is going over the top.

Roland