cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL capped?

N/A

ADSL capped?

I've found that today my file transfers with friends over a P2P program have been much slower.. no higher than 56K speeds even though I am on an ADSL line. This is for both uploads and downloads.

My connection status still says 576kbps though, so I am wondering where my missing 520kbps of bandwidth disappeared to. I read an earlier thread where someone asked if these P2P programs had been capped.. but that question wasn't answered.

I checked the announcements but I couldn't see any mention of this (is there a way to read older announcements, I saw no link?).

Has the ADSL been capped?
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 3,181
Thanks: 19
Fixes: 2
Registered: 31-07-2007

RE: ADSL capped?

too quote:

Date: Mar 27 2002 20:44:53

PlusNet Implement DSL Traffic Management
----------------------------------------

Following the announcements made in recent Press Releases regarding our
Network Management Strategy, and commitment to quality, we have
implemented traffic management on our ADSL network.

This measure has been taken to preserve the quality of service for
"priority traffic" during peak hours, which means that web browsing,
email, IRC and Games performance will be maximised throughout.

Traffic prioritisation is designed so that latency dependant
applications, such as IRC and games, get the highest priority, while
file sharing applications, such as Morpheous and Edonkey get a lower
priority.

Users may find that file sharing applications perform best during the
hours of 2am - 8am, when all traffic has equal priority.

As soon as BT announced the price drops for Self-Install, we ordered an
increase in our ADSL supply capacity from BT, even though our current
usage of the ADSL service is well within BT's design. More details about
our improved ADSL supply will be announced soon.

Regards,

PlusNet Customer Support.

--
IRC.UTCHAT.COM
@ in #utgames #utchat #uthelp
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

RE: ADSL capped?

Ah, thank you Gus. As long as they haven't taken my gaming away from me too then I am not so annoyed.

Is there any information available on which ports are being blocked then? And is this definately only a temporary measure until the new bandwidth is available?
benoh
Grafter
Posts: 272
Registered: 24-08-2007

RE: ADSL capped?

> Ah, thank you Gus. As long as they haven't taken my gaming away from me too then I am not so annoyed.
>
> Is there any information available on which ports are being blocked then? And is this definately only a temporary measure until the new bandwidth is available?

Hi,
No ports are being blocked or capped at certain speed levels, we have prioritised traffic on the link so that ICMP is highest priority (to ensure gaming pings are high) then http/ftp/nntp and the usual internet protocols and finally p2p protocols.

This is during core hours, between 2AM-8AM all priorities are the same.

Ben O'Hara
Network Support Analyst
PlusNet Technologies
N/A

RE: ADSL capped?

> Ah, thank you Gus. As long as they haven't taken my gaming away from me too then I am not so annoyed.
>
> Is there any information available on which ports are being blocked then? And is this definately only a temporary measure until the new bandwidth is available?


Hi Hugh,

We do not block ports on any of the services we provide. What we have done is prioritise the traffic. We intend on this being a permanent feature of our service to ensure that all ASDL users have equal resources available to them. As the statement above says:

This measure has been taken to preserve the quality of service for
"priority traffic" during peak hours, which means that web browsing,
email, IRC and Games performance will be maximised throughout.

Traffic prioritisation is designed so that latency dependant
applications, such as IRC and games, get the highest priority, while
file sharing applications, such as Morpheous and Edonkey get a lower
priority.


Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

RE: ADSL capped?

I thought I had some problems with the line being capped but as I type I'm using e-donkey and getting a d/l speed of 45kb/s the best I've seen in ages. Normally it's the other person your pulling out of, they limit thier speed. As this will only go as quick as the slowest connection.
N/A

RE: ADSL capped?

Thank you for the replies, I understand that other things need to take a priority.

You say it's not temporary, but would I be correct to assume that after your new bandwidth is installed the problem (3.5k/s downloads) won't be so bad?
N/A

RE: ADSL capped?

> Thank you for the replies, I understand that other things need to take a priority.
>
> You say it's not temporary, but would I be correct to assume that after your new bandwidth is installed the problem (3.5k/s downloads) won't be so bad?


Hi Hugh,

The feed from Giganews is not unlimited, it is a measured amount and is to be divided among all our users. For this reason we have installed a traffic management system on this feed.

We have no plans to increase the current limits on this feed, however we plan to introduce new news peers on our own internal news system. We are in discussion with other providers and will discontinue the Giganews feed once the new service is fully up and running.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

RE: ADSL capped?

I previously asked about P2P programs being speed capped and every single one i've tried whether its Kazaa, WinMX, Direct Connect, Bearshare or any other.

I get really bad download speeds of 1-3kb/s average to any user. Even with programs that say you are downloading/uploading to a user on DSL or higher, its still slow.

Does that mean that if I use these programs after 2am, I should get the full download/upload speeds with a good connection to another user?

I also noticed that you classed IRC as high priority for bandwidth. I haven't tried yet, but I do know that MIRC, an IRC client can do file sharing, so would that be full speed??

Lastly, if I can't make full use of my new broadband connection then what am I paying for, a faster connection that has to capped in places to maintain it as a fast service?Huh
N/A

RE: ADSL capped?

Just to add...

What if I don't play or don't intend to play online games and would rather use file sharing programs better than before?

Why isn't up to the customer?
N/A

RE: ADSL capped?

>Does that mean that if I use these programs after 2am, I should get the full download/upload speeds with a good connection to another user?

Good Evening,

All traffic is equal priority so yes, you will get a quicker transfer rate.

>I also noticed that you classed IRC as high priority for bandwidth. I haven't tried yet, but I do know that MIRC, an IRC client can do file sharing, so would that be full speed??

I don't know, it depends upon whether it uses p2p ports for file transfers or not.

>Lastly, if I can't make full use of my new broadband connection then what am I paying for, a faster connection that has to capped in places to maintain it as a fast service??

You are paying for a service with a published contention ratio of 50:1, this means that your 500Kb bandwidth is shared among a maximum of 49 other users, BT have not yet implemented contention at the exchange which is why we have had to implement the traffic management.

Kind Regards

Duncan
--
| Duncan Scotland          Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support    for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ------- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---------
N/A

RE: ADSL capped?

> We do not block ports on any of the services we provide. What we have done is prioritise the traffic. We intend on this being a permanent feature of our service to ensure that all ASDL users have equal resources available to them.

To be honest if I had known that my p2p download times would be so bad for most of the day I wouldnt have bothered with ADSL and would have stuck with the modem as this is the main reason I upgraded in the first place.

I would have been nice to know you were going to do this from the start.

Regards
N/A

RE: ADSL capped?

Hi Hugh,

The feed from Giganews is not unlimited, it is a measured amount and is to be divided among all our users. For this reason we have installed a traffic management system on this feed.
We have no plans to increase the current limits on this feed, however we plan to introduce new news peers on our own internal news system. We are in discussion with other providers and will discontinue the Giganews feed once the new service is fully up and running.



Errrrm...Hang on a sec

One of the major selling points of plus.nets 2Mbit wires only ADSL was their giganews feed.

On BTOW home 500, I get 60kb/s from my giganews subscription.
Can someone tell me what speeds I will achieve from plus.nets giganews feed via 2Mbit ADSL?

Quote: 'The feed from Giganews is not unlimited, it is a measured amount and is to be divided among all our users.' Unquote.

Does this mean us 2Mbit customers get the same bandwidth allowance for the newsfeed as 512K users?

I will *not* be a happy chappy to find, once my 2Mbit is activated that the newsfeed is capped and I get slow downloads via the newsfeed.
Everyone I know who uses Easynets 2Mbit ADSL gets around 220kb/s via their newsfeed.
Plus.net gained my business because easynet do not as yet offer a wires only service.

If I end up having to pay plus.net £110+vat per month and continue paying for a giganews subscription because plus.nets newsfeed is capped, then I will achieve very little over my 512K BTOW ADSL.

If this really is the case, it would have been better for me to have signed up for easynet, bitten the bullet and paid the £295+vat for the installation and dumped the ***** router they supply and used my ST 510!

Also how can plus.net justify giving bandwidth priority to ircHuh
IRC only needs a high bandwidth for DCC send/receive of files!
Surely the chat side of IRC uses lower bandwidth!
So are usenet users and P2P users being screwed simply because of IRC user?
Or is because plus.nets pipes can't handle the load?

I am a regular IRC user but I don't give a (censored) about DCC send/receive speeds.
First and foremost, IRC is for chat *not* sending/receiving files!
I think most people who IRC, Usenet and P2P would agree your capping priorities are all wrong!

The capped bandwidth will make no difference to any of my clients who I recommend to join plus.net.
Believe me, I can put a fair amount of business plus.nets way.
However, if I've been given false pretences about their giganews feed (I read nothing within the announcement of the giganews feed about capping of bandwidth), then quite simply, I will reconsider what ISP I will recommend to my clients for ADSL.

Why do I get the feeling that plus.nets pipe can't handle the bandwidth, hence the capping?

Darran.