cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Platform Capacity Question

N/A

Hi there,

When I joined plusnet about a year ago my speeds up until recently have been consistantly high; I usually got around 220-240kb/s constant. For this I'd like to say a BIG thanks to plusnet Cheesy

Recently however they have dropped to around 180-220kb/s, I've ran the plusnet and BT's speedtests, both give maximum results (around 1905 kbps) but I seem to download from most public servers a lot slower, its even worse at peak times.

I've been looking at the capacity graph in the help section during these times and I've noticed that the green bar is almost always at the top, so how are plusnet going to cope in the future with increasing demand and more importantly the line uncaps to 4/8mbit that have been promised?

Also Im paying £40/month when I should be paying £20/month for 2mbit premier, apparently this extra £20 is for the "possibility" of upgrading to 4/8mbit in the unknown future, you think for twice as much money as I should be paying, I could at least get a more precise answer to when/if I can get these uncaps, so if I cant then at least I can save myself a lot of money.

Thanks.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Re: ADSL Platform Capacity Question

I've been looking at the capacity graph in the help section during these times and I've noticed that the green bar is almost always at the top, so how are plusnet going to cope in the future with increasing demand and more importantly the line uncaps to 4/8mbit that have been promised?

I Have Benn wondering the same thing.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The reason it's near the top rather than near the bottom is because we are maximising the usage from our central pipes. They don't come cheap at about £1.6m per year so it doesn't make sense to have lots of pipes that aren't being used.

The faster speeds are already built into our capacity management programme and as the customer base grows we can scale capacity accordingly. Remember though that an increase in speed doesn't mean that usage will increase at the same rate. We've seen huge growth in customer numbers over the past four months or so, mainly Broadband Plus, and 10's of thousands upgraded to 1 and 2Mbps yet the overall bandwidth has increased by maybe 10%.
MrToast
Grafter

I see that you don't quote a speed test over the internet. That is via, but external to, Plusnet.

Try one of the speed test sites at http://www.dslreports.com/

Your download speed from anything other than a speed test site is going to be limited by demand on the server as well as any limit that the site administrator has explictly set.
painswck
Grafter

The reason it's near the top rather than near the bottom is because we are maximising the usage from our central pipes. ..........

The faster speeds are already built into our capacity management programme and as the customer base grows we can scale capacity accordingly. .

So looking at the utilisation graph for last night I would say that last night you were at max for three hours (Just look at that nice flat top). Seems tonight you are playing with that nice kit of yours.

So when are you going to fire up that next pipe because your continued statement that you have spare capacity does not seem to fit your own data.
N/A

The faster speeds are already built into our capacity management programme and as the customer base grows we can scale capacity accordingly.

As hinkley said; when are you going to open the next pipe and how many more pipes are left to open? i.e. how many mbits are unused at the moment?

I see that you don't quote a speed test over the internet. That is via, but external to, Plusnet.

2005-08-09 17:56:09 EST: 1687 / 140
Your download speed : 1728405 bps, or 1687 kbps.
A 210.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 144238 bps, or 140 kbps.

^^ Taken from the speakeasy server.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

There are 4 unlit segments available at the moment and they'll activated as and when they are required.
N/A

Which was like yesterday :?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I've not seen the graph go less than about 100Mbs spare. That's 2/3's of a new segment of a pipe.

Phil