Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Max ,speed variations

softdivision
Grafter

Just curious,

Why does the speed of ADSL Max vary at different times of the day, particularly in the evenings?

I get 5.5-6.5 Mb during the day, but in the evening it can drop to 3.5 -5.5.

My S/N margin stays pretty much constant at 9-10 & attenuation of 14. (downstream)

I notice no correlation.

Is this a BT thing, or PN thing, or inherent in the way ADSL Max works?

I' ve had adsl max for 2weeks now, even though I asked PN twice to opt out, I got it anyway.
I'm quite impressed actually, I didn't even notice it had been done till I saw some download speeds.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: ADSL Max ,speed variations

My S/N margin stays pretty much constant at 9-10 & attenuation of 14. (downstream)

Which means MaxDSL is actually working for you. It just seems you do have a noisy line.

do you use a router or USB modem, some modems if left on 24/7 will stay at the lower speeds and will not increase speed again until they loose sync, others see the SNR has improved in the morning and try to go faster. if you see the later, this is your modem/router and not something PN ot BT can do anything about ... well other than fix your line speed to be about 4000kb/s

So what is your stable rate value on the PN portal?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
softdivision
Grafter

stable rate is 8000.

I have a modem/router.

I dont think I have a noisy line, as before max, my noise margin was in the 30's.

I'm only 400m from the exchange.

My question was really why does it vary, does anyone get a 6.5M or greater connection 24/7 ?

Phil
Alecto
Grafter

The problem is that at busy times, neither Plusnet's network nor Bt's network has enough capacity.
So you with your fast line are competing for capacity with everybody else and their own fast lines.
You won't be able to download at your Max Stable Rate anyway as this is a theoretical figure, not an achievalbe one.
It doesn't sound as though you are doing too badly though.
Community Veteran

Re: ADSL Max ,speed variations

I had assumed these values are your sync speed as reported by your router along with the SNR you quoted.

You then said your stable rate is 8000.

So are the values above your sync speeds or download/speedtest speeds.

If they are you speedtest speeds, then Yes afraid as the other poster replied the problem is congestion in the BT network ... not a PN problem as such.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
softdivision
Grafter

Sorry I didn't make that clear, they were speed tests, my stable rate has always been 8M.

Ok so its just a capacity problem in the evenings.

That doesn't bode well for the future then does it. with video on demand streaming tv etc.
Alecto
Grafter

Ok so its just a capacity problem in the evenings.

That doesn't bode well for the future then does it. with video on demand streaming tv etc.

:lol: I think some people are gradually coming to realise that, though many still think 8Mb means they will get 8Mb (all the time, every time!)
But then with peak time quotas going ever downward, nobody will be able to use these services anyway.