cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL MAX, Upgrade Issues and info for people on the edge

N/A

I have been seeing a few threads now, with people complaining about their broadband not working, after working for a period of time or that they've now getting upgraded to 8mn and it doesn't work.

I would like to point out before posting any more threads in this matter or users start blaming BT or F9 that they do the following, as it is more than likely a fault with your equipment and not with F9 or BT.

1) Check your exchange status and see if been upgraded to ADSL MAX
2) Check your firmware for your router and if out of date get it updated to support ADSL MAX or ADSL2 as it's commonly called
3) Test with another router or modem

Remember a lot of old modems and routers will not work with ADSL2 unless they have had a firmware upgrade, and a lot of them don't work above 2mb

Another point to remember is that once you are placed for upgrading to ADSL MAX your connection will be tested everyday for around 10 days to obtain the most reliable connection you can have.

Also for people who think they may never get anything higher than 512kb or 1mb, I suggest you keep an eye on your exchange and recheck when it has turned green to state it has gone ADSL MAX.

I myself can only get 1mb max under standard ADSL, but according to the new exchange information my line has the potential to supply 2.5mbs or greater. So don't feel left out yet, miracles do happen if not often enough

regards
mike
8 REPLIES
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just to add a little to the above post.

I have had a long talk with a technical support guy at Binatone and if you have a Binatone 2100 4 port ADSL router it is NOT compatible with ADSL 2 or 2+ and you cannot just have a firmware upgrade.

The box must be sent back to Binatone Support and have a small daughter board fitted and a firmware upgrade to make it fully compatible with ADSL 2. The guy said it will still work but only at reduced speed and MAY suffer from increased drop out and other problems.

I have ‘retired’ my box and purchased a new Linksys WAG 354G ADSL 2/2+ 4 port wireless router ready for the upgrade.

Just for your info. Regards, Colin.
N/A

router help

Hi,
Does anyone know whether the netgear DG814 router is compatible with this change now? Not keen to have to change my router at the moment! If it can't cope is there anyway I can stall the upgrade which should be going through on my next invoice date (15th)?

Thanks,
L
N/A

I'm not sure I understand why people are in a panic about upgrading their equipment.... as far as I know the AdslMAX upgrades are not the same as ADSL2 and so all existing modems/routers should work with up to 8mbit.

The very first Alcatel modem I got from BT back in 2001 has always been able to do up to 8mbit.... if yours doesn't work at those speeds then it's a fault/bug that the manufacturer should fix for you.
N/A

thanks for the tip

Hi thanks for the info. The original poster commented that adsl max and adsl 2 are the same thing. I just had a look at another forum post and they say this is different and agree with you that adsl max should be fine with current equipment. Can anyone else confirm this for my peace of mind?

Thanks,
L
David_W
Rising Star

ADSL1 is upto 8MB, ADSL2 is upto 24MB but that is a different product coming with LLU, the current thing is basically opening ADSL to its full speed.
N/A

thanks

thanks for clarifying that Cheesy !
L
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Also for people who think they may never get anything higher than 512kb or 1mb, I suggest you keep an eye on your exchange and recheck when it has turned green to state it has gone ADSL MAX.
As Mike stated above....
Take a LARGE PINCH OF SALT!
My exchange is 8MB now (according to status), BUT, for a long while my 2 MB has been intermittent. (It was ok for 6 months). So, the answer in my case is to DOWNGRADE me to 1MBps.
All this, AND, I am only 1.6 Km from my exchange. If I look at ANY suppliers site, I am well within 2Mb range, so they say. 8Mb should be ok!
Be warned, the fact your EXCHANGE is 8Mb, DOES NOT mean you will get it!
After all, my 2Mb connection is only assumed to be a service that is greater than the 400Kbps minimum level requirement for 2Mbps, according to BTW. 400Kbps is an acceptable level for a 2Mbps connection!
robinh
N/A

granted not everyone will be able to get anything higher, or are wondering can they get higher. if they check the exchange checker they should have a better understanding if they can or not. As long as they remember it is a potential speed and not a guaranteed speed.

IE for my line I'm on 1mb, but according to BT Checker, I may get 1mb (which I've had for 2years), and for max adsl I can potentially get 2.5mb or higher but this is not guaranteed.

One of my friends cannot get above 512k even via MAX Adsl, infact it shows a lower speed for max adsl than what he's already got. while another friend is currently on 2mb and according to bt potentially have 6-8mb connection

As I said this is potentail and not guaranteed, but users should check their exchange for any info. It should also be noted that it may say ok one day for a high-speed but a few days later it may revert back down. this is usually down to bt when then do the tests to determine the speed of the line

regards
mike