cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Line Outage

LiamM
Grafter

ADSL Line Outage

About an hour ago i was casually browsing the forums, when my ADSL line dropped.

I could get sync to the exchange, but I couldnt connect to Plusnet.

Following the standard procedure i found that I couldn't connect to the BT Test Login and quickly ruled PN out as the cause of my problems.

Nevertheless I still contacted support to ask if there were any issues they were aware of.

The support agent, whilst friendly, didnt seem all to helpful, didnt answer the phone in a friendly manner and didnt seem all to happy to be speaking to me.

He looked up my account and informed me that due to BT upgrading my local area to 4/8mb there was an outage and maintenance window currently affecting 700 users.

I wasnt sure if he was telling the truth or not so I am posting this hoping for clarification.

If so, and PN were aware, why was there not a server status message making us aware? 700 customers is a lot in my opinion. enough to warrant a warning of a connection drop.

Still, saying this, my friend on the same exchnge, and with Plusnet, reckons his connection is still working fine. cant vouch for the validity of the claim however.

Well this took some writing on my PDA. Good job GPRS will just about cope with the forums at an acceptable speed!
6 REPLIES
N/A

ADSL Line Outage

Hi there,

There is indeed a lot of BT maintenance tonite so customers will see outages overnight.

Unfortunately this is not something we have prior warning of. It is down to the agent who takes the call to check the BT system and see that there is BT maintenance work happening. BT do not warn us of these so unless we check the system hourly/daily we could not forwarn our customers.

This would be quite tricky for a variet of reasons:

1 - It would mean taking someone off the phones regularly to check.

2 - We can only check by phon-number so we would have to check one phone number per-exchange in order to see a ful picture of what will be happening for all our customers.

So no service status i'm afraid. Can't think of a practical way to do it Smiley

Regards,

Rich
Kev
Grafter

ADSL Line Outage

I do apologise that you feel that I did not want to be talking to you when you called in tonight. I can assure you that was not the case. I can also assure you that I don't make up BT planned engineering works just to get customers off the phone, I would not be working here long if I did Smiley . I also don't lie to customers as I believe in giving the best support that I can.

The BT reference number for the planned engineering works is RD6191, this was for a 'RAS reload'.

Again I apologise that you feel I did not come across as a competent support agent. I hope that when I speak to you again I will give you a better impression Smiley.
N/A

ADSL Line Outage

Ring him now Liam if you want Wink ask him complicated questions :lol:

Regards,

Rich
LiamM
Grafter

ADSL Line Outage

Kevin I wholely apologise for jumping to conclusions and thankyou for assisting me.

My main concern was with the fact it wasn't previously noted as a Service Status Message, but now I can understand why. I have seen messages in the past with regards to BT Maintenance so was wandering why I hadn't seen put up there.

To be honest, I, myself was totally cool with your phone manner. I agree, I didn't think you answered in a very 'formal' way and this could put some older customers off.

Please accept my apologies, it wasn't intended to be a personal attack, nor was I unhappy with the service. At the time I was just wandering why my connection had dropped. As it had never done so in the past and I didnt see any warnings, I was a little 'on-edge'. I apologise.

Anyway, the line is back up now,, thanks for your assistance last night.

Liam

[EDIT] - If there was a lot of BT Maintenance overnight, I think in future, as a suggestion, it might be, perhaps, a good idea to make a Generalised Service Status post explaining that due to BT upgrading their network, some Customers may see outages of up ot 2 hours overnight between now and 1st April - I dunno - What do you think?
Ianwild
Grafter

ADSL Line Outage

Bt have been making general overnight maintenance for the last few years!

We did used to post up exchange by exchange lists, but BT just give us too much fluff and not enough detail.

Regards,

Ian
N/A

ADSL Line Outage

Interestingly enough the same thing has just happen to me.

Quite happily working away when my router connection dropped (no sync light at all), then a couple of minutes later it came back. Just had a quick look through the router diags and my line attenuation has dropped from 58-59dB which it has been for about two years now down to 53dB.

Looks like BT have changed something...I just wish they'd do it a few more times then I might stand a chance of getting more than 1Meg. :lol:

C.