cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Help Required

N/A

ADSL Help Required

Hi, I am using Windows 2000 and have a Dlink 200 ADSL modem. However everytime I switch my computer on, the two green lights,light up. But when I attempt to log on nothing happens. If I re-boot my machine (I also have to use the re-set swith to do this) I get my connection. Has anyone got any ideas please as it is driving me mad. (I have the latest drivers for my modem)
Alan
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL Help Required

> Hi, I am using Windows 2000 and have a Dlink 200 ADSL modem. However everytime I switch my computer on, the two green lights,light up. But when I attempt to log on nothing happens. If I re-boot my machine (I also have to use the re-set swith to do this) I get my connection. Has anyone got any ideas please as it is driving me mad. (I have the latest drivers for my modem)
> Alan

Hi Alan,

To be honest it does sound like a drivers problem. It may not be a modem driver problem though, it could be a USB driver problem? Check your motherboard manufacturer's website, they may even have a revised BIOS that addresses your very issue.

Regards,
Mike

--
| Mike Grice.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

Thanks Mike,

Do you think a USB Hub self powered would help, I have just downloaded the latest drivers, so I will try that. Failing all of this. Do you think a router is the best option, and do you recomend any (or anyone reading this).

Alan

> > Hi, I am using Windows 2000 and have a Dlink 200 ADSL modem. However everytime I switch my computer on, the two green lights,light up. But when I attempt to log on nothing happens. If I re-boot my machine (I also have to use the re-set swith to do this) I get my connection. Has anyone got any ideas please as it is driving me mad. (I have the latest drivers for my modem)
> > Alan
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> To be honest it does sound like a drivers problem. It may not be a modem driver problem though, it could be a USB driver problem? Check your motherboard manufacturer's website, they may even have a revised BIOS that addresses your very issue.
>
> Regards,
> Mike
>
> --
> | Mike Grice.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Customer Support......................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

N/A

> Do you think a USB Hub self powered would help, I have just downloaded the latest drivers, so I will try that. Failing all of this. Do you think a router is the best option, and do you recomend any (or anyone reading this).

USB powered hubs tend to be much more stable than using your onboard USB controller in my experience -- it's down to you really.

ADSL routers tend to be the most reliable of all - however they can be a beast to set up. I've had hands-on experience with many, the D-Link 504, Zyxel Prestige 600 and the Alcatel Speedtouch Pro seem solid and not too hard to set up, in my opinion. Your mileage may vary. There's a good bunch of ADSL hardware reviews at www.adslguide.org.uk.

Regards,
Mike
N/A

I have an Alcatel ADSL Speedtouch Pro router. Its a doddle to set up initially. The headaches only start to come when you expand your home network and put in a dedicated firewall machine. I did manage to get it all working though, eventually.
N/A

I also have an Alcatel Speedtouch Pro, its a dawdle to setup for single user, can get a bit complicated if you are running a machine as a firewall/server with additional clients but it isnt to bad i have mine in this kind of setup under linux and win2k without a hitch.

I can highly reccomend it, plus it knocks about 10-20ms off ping times compared to a USB router, doesnt use up CPU like USB and you avoid VIA USB hassles if you have a VIA Mother....fu..sorry board Smiley

Ali

N/A

I moved from a VIA motherboard to a SiS ... much less hassle with AGP drivers... Wink

Regards,
Mike

--
| Mike Grice.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..............http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----