cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Drops When Phone Rings

N/A

Hi People,

I have been with PlusNet now since May and have only had a few days where the connection has worked as I would expect. Symptons are this........

1) If phone rings when connected, the router drops the connection

2) If I make a call the router drops the connection

3) Router connects at approx 6Mb lucky if I get 1.8Mb

Set-up is......

1) Newley fitted Master Socket (fitted by BT) - no extensions attached

2) Netgear DG834 v2 connected to Master Socket via a new filter

3) DECT phone connected to master socket via the same new filter

4) Believe my connection is MaxDSL

Things that have been tried......

1) 3 different routers - same symptons

2) 7 different filters - same symptons

3) BT Changed master socket - same symptons

4) BT re-crimmped some cables in the road - did work until it rained........

BT have looked at this 4 time apparently and are hopefully still looking into this (no update to the Ticket I have raised since I said that last attempt to fix had failed).

Has anyone else experienced similar issuesHuh If so how was it resolvedHuh

Thanks
25 REPLIES
Laugh
Grafter

I had this problem but it was because I did not have my router plugged directly into the main socket. I had it on the end of an extension lead. Once I put the filter directly into the main socket and my router directly into that filter, then everything was fine.
N/A

If only it were as simple as that.........

Has anyone been moved off MaxDSL and back to LLUHuh Does anyone think that this would solve my issuesHuh
James
Grafter

I'd try plugging a phone and your modem into a filter and plugging that into the master socket, with all other telephony devices.

Phone yourself and see if the connection drops.
N/A

DECT phone are known to be a problem if near and plugged into the same socket as the router/modem. Have you a normal telephone you can use to see if this improve the situation.
N/A

have tried a normal (non-dect) phone - same results and both the modem and phone are plugged into the same filter directly connected to the master socket.

I'm just very confused about this.

When BT re-crimmped the cable via one of the service hatches in the street it was fine until we had loads of heavy rain (so going back a bit now) is when it all went wrong again.
tangey
Grafter

Hi There,

I've had/have a similar problem to you.

All the kit myside was changed at least twice (router,phone,filter,cables), nothing else connected to the socket. I even left the phone totally disconnected (this is a 2nd line), but still, I would get noisy that would kill my connection. During the "bad" periods, if I picked up the phone, I would hear all sorts of crap, and the broadband line would drop.

So far I have had BT out here about 7 times. Told me it was my phone (changed the phone). Then they re crimped a connection in the street. Then they changed the face plate. Then they swapped pairs from the nearest green box back to the exchange.

Everytime I had the issue, and they arrived, their "fiddling" with it would get rid of the noise, or it would be away when they arrived. I even concluded that if I "flashed" the phone receiver a few times, or plugged/unplugged the filter from the wall a number of times, would make it go away.

When the problem went away, it stayed away for maybe 2 weeks, so my 7 BT visits are over 3 months.

Now, these phone lines were installed in the house when it was built, by BT. Two separate lines, one for the house, one for modem (as it was at the time, then ISDN, and now broadband). The two lines were brought into a central "dummy" BT faceplate in the hall, run into the loft, and then run to their prospective master sockets.

I have had a suspicion that the issue is this internal wiring (all of which was done by BT). So I convinced the last BT guy to go into the attic, and he a) found some dodgy connections that he bypassed, and b) changed the pair from the hallway "dummy" faceplate up to the loft. He hasn't as yet changed the pair from the loft down to the ADSL socket.

Thats was ABOUT two weeks ago, and so far so good...but 2 weeks isn't nearly enough...but maybe..just maybe...

BTW, you may be confused with ADSL, ADSLmax and LLU. I assume you were originally ADSL, and then went ADSLmax. From all accounts, the last thing you want is to go to LLU ! But there may be some mileage into going back to ADSL.
N/A

I dont think that it can be my internal wiring as I am now running just from the master socket (which was recently replaced and fitted by BT) and all extensions disconnected. The ring wire (I think cable 3) has even been disconnected as it is not actually need and can add noise to the line, still no difference.

When using the phone the line is dirty and I can hear the router trying to re-connect - it is very frustrating as I have said in earlier posts.

As for the differences between LLU, ADSL etc I am very confused. Before moving in May I was a Telewest user and it was a great service, very gutted that cable is not in the area I moved to other wise I would have stuck with them as I always found the service was pretty good.
tangey
Grafter

Your description of your fault does remind me strongly of mine, when I had the problem, I could hear the ADSL router going thru the connection process if I picked up the phone.

So I feel you do have SOME sort of wiring issue, but I'm no expert.

When the fault occurs, does it hang around enough for the BT engineer to hear it.

The main complication with mine was that the BT test system always said the line was fine, and often when the BT engineer arrived, the fault was away. Even the one time when I spoke to a customer services, rather than just do the automated thing, and the noise on the line was absolutely horrible...customer services rang me back and told me the line had tested fine, even though he could hardly hear me over all the crackles and pops....and I knew he thought it was a dodgy phone myside.

I can't recall if you managed to get BT to change your phone line pair, either from your house to your green box, or from the green box to the exchange.

If you are absolutely confident that it is nothing to do with any of your kit or anything that YOU have control off, just keep reporting the fault, every time it happens. And each time an engineer comes, tell them everything that the previous engineers have already tried, so as they know what to exclude. I kept the various filters, phones and routers beside the master socket, so as the engineer could clearly see that I'd changed all the kit myside.

Make sure you report it as a voice issue via 151 (i think thats the number). Part of the automated system asks are you only having problems with broadband, or also problems with voice calls, make sure you select voice calls.

Thats about as much advice as I can offer...good luck
N/A

Thanks guys for all your advice. Looks like I will have to keep pushing PlusNet support to get BT to continue investigation, though easier said then done, it has been a week since I update the ticket and PlusNet support dont apear to have done anything with it.
James
Grafter

Have you tried speaking to BT Retail?
N/A

No as I have been advised by BT that for any broadband issues I must go through my ISP to get the issue resolved.
James
Grafter

BT Wholesale would just say that you need to speak to Retail Smiley

I'll see if I can get someone to progress your fault with BT Wholesale, but I can't make any promises.
N/A

Thanks - I would really apprecaite it if you could.
James
Grafter

No problem. I've raised it internally for Mand or Dave to pick up on (#3549).