cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Connections up & down again?

N/A

Evil Is it just me or are we on another round of duff connections.
All day I've been losing connection:
Started with 2hrs, then 1hr, the last one was less than 2mins

Login Time Logout Time Elapsed Time WAN IP
2003/08/31 09:29:58 2003/08/31 11:41:56 0' 02:11:58 212.159.113.254
2003/08/31 12:14:11 2003/08/31 13:30:41 0' 01:16:30 212.159.113.254
2003/08/31 13:32:12 2003/08/31 14:00:14 0' 00:28:02 212.159.113.254
2003/08/31 14:01:04 2003/08/31 14:04:58 0' 00:03:54 212.159.113.254
2003/08/31 14:07:10 2003/08/31 14:08:45 0' 00:01:35 212.159.113.254

As usual, nothing showing on the status page!
6 REPLIES
N/A

You have to remember, what you see is not allways what every other person sees. One person does not constitute a platform fault (in 99.999% of occurances. It is possible though that one person could be seeing issues from a generic issue only).

I currently have an online time of 159:59:41 (AKA 6 days, 16 hours), which is totaly seperate of my equipment reset time (which reads 485:36:37 (20 days, 5.5 hours)).

I woulod strongly sugest goign through the steps of resetting your equipment, or powering it down and allowing it to cool. You would also need to rules out your splitter configuration, by removing all other devices and splitters from the lines, and plugging ing, one by one.

If these fail, you could then contact support, asking if further lines tests could be performed by BT.
N/A

Thanks for that but I've been having problems for weeks with PlusNet blaiming BT and BT blaiming PlusNet.
BT have done all the testing they're prepared to do without visiting and charging me if there's a fault in the router. They say the line is testing 100% OK but it "sounds" faulty because of a problem with the PlusNet equipment, either the router or the filters - and this is clearly the case because if you turn the router off, the line goes quiet again.
I even demonstrated this to a PlusNet engineer on the phone.
So as you can tell, my router gets turned off and cools down at regular intervals, everytime we need to make or recieve a voice call :x
And yes, I have swapped the Solwise (not the best filters on the market) filters (we had two sent, but only have one socket in the house).
So what is PlusNet expecting me to do? Disconnect the router and post it back at my expense. Then, some days or weeks later someone will take a look at it, decide there is nothing wrong with it, and send it back.
In the mean time, even though I am paying for ADSL, I was told to obtain another modem and use an 0845 number and use the Internet 24/7 at 56KB at local call rates.
We're not talking about a massively expensive piece of kit, PlusNet supplied the cheapest AR11 unit which probably goes for less than £30, the inconvienience to me is much higher but they refuse to send a loan unit or refund me for the faulty one they supplied so that I can purchase another.
This is a real shame because I have found PlusNet to be a very good ISP when things are working well, but I'm looking for another ISP now and will close this account when my 12 montract expires in six weeks time.

I would strongly sugest goign through the steps of resetting your equipment, or powering it down and allowing it to cool. You would also need to rules out your splitter configuration, by removing all other devices and splitters from the lines, and plugging ing, one by one.
If these fail, you could then contact support, asking if further lines tests could be performed by BT.
painswck
Grafter

Sorry but have been on line most of the day and no dropouts here. In fact checking the log the ppp connection has been up since the 7th August.

Noise on the phone sounds like a filter problem.
N/A

Just a small thought but if the noise is only present when the router is switched on:
could the routers power cable be sitting to close to the phone cable, or even the router it self.

Or could the phone extension to the router be sitting to close to a power cable for something else.

Just a couple of thoughts, it fiarly normal for return postage of faulty goods to be bourne by the customer, although some companies pay this back if there is a fault.
N/A

Sounds to me like you have a dodgy splitter... The splitter should be removing the ADSL 'noise' from the phone line and sending it to the router instead. That may also explain your lack of connectivity: if the splitter isn't sending all the data to the router then it will disconnect etc.
N/A

He said he replaced them. Though - if the hardware was bought from plusnet (and in turn EBuyer) then it could be faulty splitters.