cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Connection dropping

iashton
Grafter

ADSL Connection dropping

I've read John Essex's recent post which notes connection problems for some customers

>There have been quite a few posts recently from new customers (and some >longer term ones) stating that they are experiencing constant dropping of >their ADSL connections.

However it gives no idea of how often connections are failing for these customers. 'Constant dropping' would make the service unuseable. Wouldn't it?

In my case I've upgraded to 2Mb and experience one/two reconnections per day on average. Which is annoying but I can live with it.

I've upgraded my router ( NetGear DG834G ) to the latest firmware and am now monitoring the frequency. I've checked my configuration against the FAQ and troubleshooting guides.

What reconnect frequency do other customers experience?
Do PlusNet consider 1 per day acceptable?
38 REPLIES
N/A

ADSL Connection dropping

Hi iashton,
I am a new customer and this morning I have had my connection drop 3 times I have just changed my filter for another one to see it that makes any difference.

When I joined I payed the extra 14.99 for the upgrade to 2Mb but I must say that I rarely get that I normally get 1Mb.
N/A

ADSL Connection dropping

Hi there,

Disconnects, even at a rate of 1 per day are not normal.

Having read John's sticky and the subsequent tutorials you will see that there are many reasons for disconnects or connection drops.

Some of these can stem from poor internal wiring, dodgy filters, Electrical (RF) interferance, right down to external problems such as exchange issues or bad cabling to the exchange.

The other issue, which seems to be getting more common is the fact that your line may not be capable of supporting a 2mb connection.

As you have a Netgear router, you can see your line stats from the router status link. At the bottom of that page is a link to "Show Statistics" Click on that and paste the results to this thread. That may go some way towards identifying or ruling out one possible cause.
N/A

ADSL Connection dropping

Hi!

I too have just migrated to Plus.Net and upgraded to a 2Mbit line, and am experiencing the same connection drops, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day, but only when using P2P.

Apparently my line can not support 2Mbit, altho I can download 700MB files from web servers at full speeds with no problem. When I use P2P at a tenth of full speeds I get disconnected.. this I don't understand. Surly if I couldn't support 2Mbit, I would encounter problems when trying to download at full speeds, and all would be fine at 20KB/s! Seems the wrong way round!?

I think any disconnection's is unacceptable, especially as I can't usually reconnect soon afterwards, unless I unplug the modem from the line and then plug it back it. I am not always home to do this and it is especially annoying if I am working remotely on my home network.

I have tried various hardware, and changed my cabling and micro-filters. I think its down to BT, but chances are that if Plus.Net report this fault my line will be downgraded, which I am reluctant to do as it seems I can use the line at full speeds.
iashton
Grafter

ADSL Connection Dropping

In reply to pcsni

System Up Time 04:49:26
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 15908 17783 0 185 811 04:48:59
LAN 100M/Full 16336 13776 0 600 186 04:49:22
WLAN11M/54M 6138 6362 0 268 47 04:49:12

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 46 db 14 db
Noise Margin 23 db 25 db

Which looks OK ?
N/A

ADSL Connection dropping

Hi there,

The 46 db figure looks to be borderline for 2mb. A figure of less than 43 would have been better, but some have gotten away with worse figures than that.

The investment in some high quality filters or a faceplate splitter has been known to make a big difference.

But that attenuation figure could be the cause of your dropouts.
N/A

ADSL Connection dropping

The odd drop had not been unusual for me but on Sunday evening my connection dropped completely. The DSL light remains steady but I just cannot log on user name/password, including trying the test accounts. I raise some tickets and did a lot of running around disconnecting phones, etc. But I just couldn't connect except sometimes for a few minutes and when I start using it, it drops again.

Eventually, Monday PM, the tech support suggested that my line had been upgraded to 2mb and perhaps isn't good enough and put in order for it to be dropped to 1mb. Then Tuesday mid-afternoon I got an automated letter saying that my line had been upgraded (a bit strange, since the tech guy said I had been upgraded the week before and my router reports a 2mbs speed over last week). Yesterday evening when I'm back home everything is working again.

This is pure speculation - but on the Exchange Status it shows that some upgrade work is being done this month (no days) but BT reports no problems. However, I am guessing that whatever work they are doing *must* be causing some problems but in the usual great BT way they have decided to ignore it and pretend it's not there.

I have contacted support since then to put a stop to any downgrading or adjustments to my line at the moment. If everything continues to work tonight when I get home then I think the problem was that some work was being done and though upgrades etc supposedly only takes 15-30 minutes disruption it may be that in some cases it can mess things up for a couple days.

I might have gone a little OT here, but basically whatever problems might just be a temporary one. Of course, it would be nice and good customer service to be informed prior to work that might disrupt the service, but it's hard to tell if this is/was something done by BT or PN (and if it's BT I might as well expect customer service from a stray dog).

My service was effectively unuseable from 11pm Sunday through to Monday. Things were OK on Tuesday evening. I am hoping it continues to be OK.

Hope everyone else's problems correct themselves or can be speedily resolved.
N/A

ADSL Connection dropping

I have been having consistant line dropping for around 2 months now i have phone on numerous occasssions and all i get is the same repplies we will pass you on to bt its not our probem etc etc..... I have tried everything had line checks by bt and plus net and it is really doing my head in.
the call center staff seem to have no record off what you are trying to tell them and they keep asking you the same questions and saying its not +nets problem while bt the poeple i belive are saying its nothing to do with there line.So they are just being a pain in the arse all the time please help.
before i break my pc in to bits
N/A

ADSL Connection dropping

Hi there,

Firstly, if your connection is dropping then it is either BT's problem or a problem with your equipment, wiring or filters. It is not Plus Nets. They have no control of anything between you and your exchange. It is, however, their duty to help you get it resolved.

There are a number of questions support will have to ask you. I know this seems tedious, but the questions are very necessary.

Tell us a bit more about your setup, if you are connected by a modem or router, through an extension or direct to master socket and how many extensions you have including sky boxes.
martinrowe
Grafter

ADSL Connection dropping

During the day my recently upgraded 2Mbps connection can stay up for several hours, but in the evenings I am lucky to get 5 minutes without being disconnected. Any ideas please ?
simonh
Grafter

ADSL Connection dropping

My connection was dropping at around 8pm every night, sometime just losing synch and sometimes losing the connection completely. I had a relative who is a BT engineer do a bit of work, he transferred the dial tone to the extension my modem (Binatone ADSL500) is plugged into, making it the main socket, and put a new ADSL faceplate with built in filters on to that extension, meaning I don't have to have filters on my other two extensions. Since then, I have had no disconnections/losses of synch whatsoever. My point is, in many cases it's worth investing in good filters and plugging the modem/router into your main socket where possible. Also, I've heard that plugging a Sky Digibox into the same socket as your modem/router can cause problems. Just my twopence.
N/A

ADSL Connection dropping

I hear what every one says but what I don't understand is why should it start now :?: before, I used Metronet as my ISP for 3 years and never had this problem of dropped connection/sync.

I have changed nothing in the hardware department that I used with Metronet.

First connection this morning before writing this was at 2Mb for about 2 hours then all of a sudden the connection dropped and I had to take out the filter and put it back in before I could get a synchronisation and now while typing this only connected @ 1Mb.

I just don't understand it at all.
martinrowe
Grafter

ADSL Connection dropping

I had over 2 years of no problems at 512Kbps , but when the upgrade to 2 Mbps happened a few weeks ago that is when the constant disconnections began.
Community Veteran

ADSL Connection dropping

@martinrowe could you post your line stats, more specifically your attenuation and SNR
N/A

ADSL Connection dropping

The odd drop had not been unusual for me but on Sunday evening my connection dropped completely. The DSL light remains steady but I just cannot log on user name/password, including trying the test accounts. However, I am guessing that whatever work they are doing *must* be causing some problems but in the usual great BT way they have decided to ignore it and pretend it's not there.

I have contacted support since then to put a stop to any downgrading or adjustments to my line at the moment. If everything continues to work tonight when I get home then I think the problem was that some work was being done and though upgrades etc supposedly only takes 15-30 minutes disruption it may be that in some cases it can mess things up for a couple days..

hi
just to say m8, i to had a major drop out on sunday, and was informed after a call to the cs, it indeed was maintenance from bt, lol no information of how long, or more to the point no way of even knowing it was coming...right in the middle of something important to.......they really should have some way of informing customers of repairs.....they simply can not expect all customers to spend time finding out when repairs are being made....in the real worlkd it just doesnt happen iam afraid.

on a side note to this post, and seeing info about the "line retention" numbers, i have been looking for sometime as to what the minium figures are for the exception of a good 2 meg service, when ( been waiting and stilla re since april...will it ever come), iam glad to notice on mine my line retention numbers are....downstream....21.6 and upstream 15.0....
which by the numbers above is looking very very good for me....whenever they get round to it.

by the way, i live in the leabrooks,derbyshire area if anybody was intrested in the day.time repairs were being done.
would still like notification of some sort, wether this is at all a possibilty in the future form plusnet, who knows.ill be very old man at this rate though , even to get my upgrade.