cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A way to manually raise your SNM

N/A

Finally after 2 weeks of trying to sort this with PN, somebody seems to know what theyre doing and acknowledge that i have a problem, for those of you with low SNM's this might work for you, but thisll save you waiting a week or whatever for a response :lol:

Dear **************,
The line test has shown your margin value as being 4dB.

Now with MaxDSL, the service can run with the margin as low as 4dB, but in some cases a margin value of less than 9dB could possibly cause the connection to drop.

As MaxDSL is rate adaptive this should see the drops and adjust the margin accordingly, but sometimes you need to manually force this.

So that we can try and force your line to adjust the margin to a higher value could you try restarting your modem/router repeatedly, allowing it to power up and synch with the line and connect, then power it down and repeat this.

If you could do this several times over the space of an hour and a half, this should then force the system to increase the margin.

If you could try this and advise us if this improves the situation, or if the problems continue.

Kind Regards,

ive not tried it yet (just got the reponse) but hopefully itll work, i think this guy actually has his head screwed on!
15 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Does this make sense?
My margin varies from 6 to zero, depending on I don't know what, but the line never drops.

I'd understood that repeated restarts as recommended above were interpreted as multiple line-drops by the Bt thingie, which responded by syncing you at a lower rate, and were therefore a bad thing.
N/A

well your SNM can be raised rather than sync just lowered, im sure a load of drops for 1 hour compared to a few days of stability shouldnt effect your MSR by a lot, but obviously the DSLAM boosts the signal or something to compensate. but to be fair i can afford a slightly lower overall speed for some stability, im getting fed up of the disconnections.

In my optinion, faster than 2mbit + stable connection still sounds like a winner to me
N/A

Hi there
How quickly should this action take effect? I've re-booted 6 or 7 times but speed remains the same.

My problem isn't sync speed or stability, I get 8128/448 always. but my speed is slow considering I'm well under 1km from exchange. The exchange is limited to 6500kbps but I don't even get that 'cos my data rate (or whatever it is misleadingly called on PN portal) is set at 5500kbps for reasons I can't fathom.

I'd be grateful for any ideas or observations anyone has that may improve the situation.

Alan
N/A

ive just had my snr raised on my line, so we will see how that goes - speeds still a poor 2.7m but in actual use for general browseing is quite poor
Community Veteran

...is set at 5500kbps for reasons I can't fathom.

I'd be grateful for any ideas or observations anyone has that may improve the situation.

You have a different problem to the other posters in this thread.

This is a known BT problem, raise a ticket and ask them to add you to the list of people that have problems with Delta Reports not being sent for your account.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Doing the above will also I believe enable Interleaving on a line that is currently Fastpath.

So be aware!
N/A

Don't do which one? Phear

If its the multiple re-booting its too late, I've been and gone and done it Sad If it's raising a ticket, I've tried that, and nothing appeared to change :?

I'll wait to hear from you before I get in a worse mess :!:
Community Veteran

Darwin ... eh?

You post asking for advice, then go ahead and do it anyway. Sad

Now what does your modem tell you about your line speeds?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
N/A

I know I'm impetuous god Shockedops:

For what its worth my router tells me sync speed 8128/448 always. As its a Linksys WAG54G ver 1.2 it doesn't tell me attenuation or SNR. I have MTU tweaked and that is all fine. I've done speed tests with cat 5 cable straight into test socket (doesn't make any difference)

I think the lack of Delta report may be the answer, but why haven't PN said that when I raise a ticket?

Answers on a postcard please, or the mods will run out of blue pencil Smiley
N/A

well if you sync at 8mbit and have no stability problems then all you can do is what it says on the max stable rate page.

Reconnect once a day for 3 days and your MSR should be raised.

remember your download spead (Fault tollerance speed or something) is always 20% lower than your MSR, so if your MSR says 5000kbps itll be just under 4000kbps your speed will be capped to.
N/A

Thanks grazc

If I've read it correctly the MSR/data rate can only be reset higher if you get speeds above the set limit. If the readings are lower, then turning on/off for 3 days won't make a difference, I believe. Please correct me if you have experience to the contrary.

Alan
N/A

Well, if you are connected long enough, your sync rate shoots up (if its been dropping) the 3day thing isnt exactly right.

I think the way it works, is it sees most of the day being connected as "Stable", after 3 days it will up your BRAS profile, which i think is what it refers to.

mine started on about 4000, its now on 6000
Firejack
Grafter

Today I sent a ticket to ask for my connection to be regraded back to my old 1 Mbit connection. Right now I have a Margin of 2!!! I am expecting a disconnection while typing this post. Really don't hold out any hope of my connection being stable enough for MAX as I already have Interleaving enabled Sad
Community Veteran

In that case, while you have a low SNR, disconnect your router anyway, it will then reconnect at a lower more stable speed.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC