cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A (very) small gripe

Enkel
Grafter

A (very) small gripe

There have been all sorts of words recently about PlusNet's improved service and I'm sure the service is better now. However, I have one small gripe, PlusNet. During the last year I have suffered intermittent disconnects for days on end, which, thankfully, seem to have been put right. At least I now only get periods of extreme slowness for days on end instead of total disconnects, an improvement. BUT - and here is my gripe; when I do ring you up because my BB line is dead, I find it extremely annoying to have a voice telling me that I can get service more effectively by logging in to your web site. It's precisely because I CAN'T do that that I am on the phone in the first place! Anyone else annoyed by that message? Or am I just being picky?

Happier, of Wiltshire

PS - And why does PlusNet only open the free dial-up connection to BB users when the BB line is down? It wouldn't cost them anything to leave it permanently available - no-one in his right mind with a properly functioning BB service would even dream of using dial-up, however "free" it is.
7 REPLIES
chrisc
Grafter

A (very) small gripe

We are looking at the IVR menu to see if anything can be presented differently.

Obviously, customers with no sync issues and slow speed problems may not be able to use the online help section.

The reason we provide this on the phone line is for customers who can resolve their issue on line - account changes, house move requests, router config help etc.

By doing this and advising customers of all the options we can reduce the call wait time and ensure that customers with connectivity problems can be helped as soon as possible.

With regards to the dial up - if..............

no-one in his right mind with a properly functioning BB service would even dream of using dial-up

Why would we need to offer the service in times when the broadband was functioningHuh
Community Veteran

A (very) small gripe

Well, I'm not the OP, but I'd guess it's so if someone has a fault, they don't need to phone up PlusNet to report it (possibly involving waiting in phone queues) in order to be given the free number - instead, they could just dig out a dial-up modem, connect using the 0808 number, and then report the fault online (whilst enjoying glorious 4KB/s download speeds...)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

A (very) small gripe

The main reason is that there's only a limited amount of 0808 dial ports available. By only activating the 0808 number when a fault is reported we can better manage the available pools. Plus in event of a major broadband outage you could imagine that if the backup 0808 was on by default there could potentially be a lot of people trying to connect on 0808 which could use up all the available numbers and for one thing prevent FRIACO customers connecting as well.
Fixes: 115

A (very) small gripe

Plus in event of a major broadband outage you could imagine that if the backup 0808 was on by default there could potentially be a lot of people trying to connect on 0808 which could use up all the available numbers and for one thing prevent FRIACO customers connecting as well.

On the one hand you are saying there is a backup free access dial-up number but on the other suggest that it isn't viable in an outage because too many people would use it!

This sounds, to me anyway, that you'd rather let people hold on wait to CS by phone or maybe just wait it out till the problem is resolved rather than have an immediate back-up dial-up number.

Sorry if I have misunderstood you.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

A (very) small gripe

The 0808 backup number is not intended for major outage by large numbers of customers.

Chilly
Fixes: 115

A (very) small gripe

I never knew that, sorry! Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

A (very) small gripe

Yep, reason is that on 0808 dial port costs ~£100 per month and only one customer can connect to a port at any time. So it isn't possible to 1,000s of spare ports hanging around just in case there's a major outage. The port range for broadband faults is shared with the port range for our FRIACO customers, indeed it's partly because a lot of these customers have made the switch to broadband that there are spare ports for broadband customers with faults.