Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A rocking horse's questions

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

TBH I sm not sure what speeds I should be getting Shockedops: so you can se what a rocking horse I am! Speed test thsi morning gave
980 and 245 kb/s. is there away I can ascertain what I am on and if the above result are OK. FWIW I am on the Homesurf package.

Can I find out if my exchanges is/ is due t be LLU'd? I understand the gateway is

Telehouse North Juniper 1.

Please please be kind with your replies
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
15 REPLIES
Isitme
Grafter

I find this site very useful for checking all sorts of connection questions. Do the check then use the buttons on the left to check for LLU.
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php
Mand
Grafter

Re: A rocking horse's questions

TBH I sm not sure what speeds I should be getting Shockedops: so you can se what a rocking horse I am! Speed test thsi morning gave
980 and 245 kb/s. is there away I can ascertain what I am on and if the above result are OK. FWIW I am on the Homesurf package.

Can I find out if my exchanges is/ is due t be LLU'd? I understand the gateway is

Hi there,

You're on a 1MB product, so 980k is pretty good Smiley

245 is a little low though, which speed test are you using?
N/A

I think the OP reported 245 speed is for the upstream.
Luzern
Pro

Re: A rocking horse's questions

Hi there,

You're on a 1MB product, so 980k is pretty good Smiley

245 is a little low though, which speed test are you using?

Actually I used three and all were much the same. They were the BT one, BroadbandMax and ThinkBroadband. Tonight's results

Speed Down 952.78 Kbps ( 0.9 Mbps )
Speed Up 243.18 Kbps ( 0.2 Mbps )

Next question is my connection capable, at least in theory, of uprating and in pratice and in view of results will I get any benefit? BTW what was pcchambers point>
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
N/A

Mand stated that 245 was a little low, she read this as another download speed test when in fact it's for the upload. 245 is the max you will see for upload.
Luzern
Pro

I had to reinstall my modem this morning and it reported 1152 and 288, but a check with BroadbandMax reported 988 and 244.

I do not undersand how I fet 1152 which is over the 1000 for my product. Can Mandb or anyone else enlighten me on that or my questions about getting uprated speeds :?:

Thanks Cheesy
Mand
Grafter

Hi

Yeah, sorry for the confusion re the upload, I've looked at so many speedtest results lately I'm going a little daft Shockedops:

The sync speed you have is the max you will sync at on a 1MB line, similarly you can sync at over 2MB on a 2MB fixed rate product, but will not quite get that in throughput.

We would need to see the rest of the line stats to see if an upgrade would benefit you, but you should see at least a small increase in theory when upgrading to Max.
Luzern
Pro

Hi

Yeah, sorry for the confusion re the upload, I've looked at so many speedtest results lately I'm going a little daft Shockedops:

The sync speed you have is the max you will sync at on a 1MB line, similarly you can sync at over 2MB on a 2MB fixed rate product, but will not quite get that in throughput.

We would need to see the rest of the line stats to see if an upgrade would benefit you, but you should see at least a small increase in theory when upgrading to Max.
Thanks for reply! So it seems I am more or less condemned to where I am or limited improvement Cry How would I get to rest of line stats :what actual details are needed?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Check to see if the instructions for your router/modem are on this page:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Luzern
Pro

Hi

Thanks for reply! So it seems I am more or less condemned to where I am or limited improvement Cry How would I get to rest of line stats :what actual details are needed?

Thanks to Elvin for giving me the link. Here are the stats. Taken about ½ hour ago. I hope what is needed is there.

ADSL Line Status SHOWTIME
ADSL Modulation G.dmt
ADSL Annexe Mode ANNEX_A
ADSL Startup Attempts 1
Down stream / Upstream
SNR Margin 29.8dB / 29.0dB
Errored Seconds 0 / 0
Loss of signal 0 / 0
Loss of frame 0 / 0
Data rate 1152kbps / 288kbps
Latency Fast Fast / Fast
N/A

Go here to calculate your expected speed and then ask PN to upgrade you to MAX.
Luzern
Pro

Go here to calculate your expected speed and then ask PN to upgrade you to MAX.

The site reckons I could get up to 5.4 (say actually 4.Cool but the tenor of mandb's post

seems to indicate from its referring to 1MB line and at least a small increasethat such an improvement as mentioned by the site you gave me is unlikely.

Am I geting the wrong end of the stick about all this?
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

It's certainly worth upgrading, and as I said you should see at least a small increase.

Exactly how big that increase will be can only be estimated until the upgrade happens, I just didn't want to set your expectation incorrectly.

If you raise a ticket here we will sort the upgrade out for you. Smiley
Luzern
Pro

Thanks Smiley