cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A reasonable question waiting for a reasonable answer

N/A

I have just raised 'another' :roll: support question. For background my connection chugs along fine on the upto 8mbs it gets to 3Mbps and plummets to 108 kbps.
I have raised 10 - 15 calls about this.
This one is the latest.

My Reply to the standard response was:
----------------------------------------------------------
If you can see this from the logs:

"Your line profile keeps being reduced because the exchange equipment has detected a connectivity issue; I can see from our connection logs that the connection is intermittent."

And you have presumably looked at my call history as requested. Why has it not been addressed?

Every time I have this problem you say in the resolution that the line has been reset. Is this not the case then?

Can I please have answers to these reasonable questions.

Thanks
Stuart
56 REPLIES
N/A

And would anyone like to comment on this?

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2688 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 83 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Looking at your speed history it looks like your line sync'ing at less than 288kbps every so often.

The way BT's system works is that if the sync speed drops then the throughput rate (the IP profile in the BT speedtest result) will drop straight away, but when the sync speed goes up it takes 3-5 days for the throughput rate to go back up.

As such it only takes the line to be sync'd at a lower rate for a few minutes for the throughput to go down and stay down for 5 days even if the sync rate goes straight back up.

The latest decrease happened, to within about an hour at 22/01/2007 15:06:53 having previously gone down to 576kbps at 21/01/2007 14:47:41.

Before that it's dropped to 160kbps at 08/01/2007 09:56:07 and 30/12/2006 11:52:38 in the past month.

Do these times tie in with anything? It could be a number of things that's causing interference and thus causing the line to resync at a lower rate. If you can try and identify what that is then you'll stop seeing the decrease in speed.
N/A

Thanks for the reply Dave. Thats interesting. Do you have logs that go further back, a week for instance?
James
Grafter

We should have delata reports going back either to the point at which the line was maxed, or a considerable period of time.
N/A

Can you mail me them then please. I have a chart going back to June 06 which is basicly a daily speed test. But the problem with that is it is a manual process. Your automated logging would do a better job. if you can supply me the data I can try and track it.

Cheers

Stuart

PS.

Thanking you Cheesy
James
Grafter

Stuart,

With respect, it would take me a considerable amount of time to do so, and I'm really not in a position where I would be able to dedicate that much time to a single issue.

I'm not saying that your custom or queries are unimportant, but just that it would take me an awfully long time to do for something that is essentially of no value to either you or I.
N/A

Thanks James
Having read through various forums I have seen your comments in many of them and have always been impressed with the directness and honesty in them.
If we turn this around slightly, I am continually told by PN that the line goes down, or degrades; at xyz time and they will often give that time. And then say “What happened at your end?" This is often hours or days after the event. This puts the onus on me to discover what happened. In order for me to do what has been asked by PN I need a bigger picture. I need PN to supply me with information that says "At this time every week the line goes down." Currently, there is a different time in each call and so if PN can't supply this info then surely the responsibility lies with them?

As it stands I believe, and I have posted this previously, that my line cannot handle more than 3mbps. As I am on the up to 8mbps service it constantly winds itself up to 3 - 3.5 mbps and then drops to 108 kbps. Then the line takes 3-5 days to sort itself out or PN resets it. By reverting me back to the standard 2mb line I would not have these problems and I would once again be happy.
James
Grafter

Your line definitely looks good enough to get a 2mbps fixed line service. If you raise a ticket requesting the "downgrade" I'll be more than happy to action it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Is there any way that information about the connects and sync speeds could be made available on the portal?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

N/A

Ticket raised:

FAO James Bailey
Can I request that my line is returned to the standard 2Mbps limit please and not the up to 8Mbps as the line cannot support greater than 3 mbps.

Please note this is the 3rd time I've asked for this. The first time it was ignored and the 2nd time BT said my line couldn't handle 2Mbps and so they left me on upto 8Mbps (Go figure!)
N/A

Elvin/James
At work at the minute but I will be happy to post those results later
Community Veteran

What is your downstream line attenuation?

For the original IPstream home 2Mbs product, this must be 43dB or lower. If it is higher then BT will not put you on it, just like they wouldn't have done pre-Max days. DSL Max has no restriction / min values.
James
Grafter

Hi there,

Numerous requests noted.

Unfortunately, BT are currently experienced issues with their Broadband Availabity Checker. As such, this means that I am unable to place a downgrade order as they are unable to check against their records what speeds you should be capable of attaining.

Please feel free to remind me tomorrow and I'll try again.