cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A month of lousy service, now PlusNet wants £58 to let me go

N/A

I signed up with PlusNet a little over a month ago. For the first week, I had no DSL at all because they signed me up with 2mbit on a line which would only support 512k. Once my line was downgraded to 512k, I had a week and a half of my DSL connection dropping every 2-3 minutes. I finally bought a new DSL modem to replace the one PlusNet sold me and my connection is better, but still not very good. Suffice it to say that I'm not satisfied with their service. Hearing about their phone threats against people who complain about poor service on these forums was the last straw and I'm anxious to abandon this sinking ship as quickly as possible.

I'm well within the 45-day "Satisfaction Guaranteed" period, so I raised a ticket yesterday notifying them that I want to discontinue my PlusNet service and migrate to another DSL provider. And this morning I got an email saying:

When you signed up you chose to have the defered activation offer which means that if you wish to migrate out there would be a one off charge of £58.75 , please authourise this charge then we can action this request for you.

I seem to remember their guarantee's tagline being, "With nothing to lose, why not try us today?"

This is absolutely ridiculous. During the month I've spent with PlusNet, I've only had halfway-reliable service for about a week. And now they want to charge me £58.75 to leave! Has anyone had any luck fighting this sort of thing? It's a difficult situation since they're basically holding my migration code hostage at the moment. Is there anything I can do?
16 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

If you had not joined Pn, but some other ISP instead, then you would have had to pay that activation charge to the other ISP (or have it deferred and commit to paying it if you left within a certain time).

So since Pn will pay your migration charge, if any, to a new ISP, when you have reimbursed Pn for the activation charge, you will be no worse off than if you had never gone to Pn and gone straight to your new ISP.

So you've lost nothing.
Metalguru
Grafter

Hi xdrquinnx

Have a nose through some other threads in this (Customer Feedback) forum.

There are others in a similar position to you, discussing their possible options.
Community Veteran

Same post with answers on ADSLguide here.

You have to pay-up before you can migrate out.
Community Veteran

I did wonder how long it would take before this stance was taken by PN. They do seem to be thinking about the money rather than the PR here. Which is a shame.

As stated, read the other posts, seek professional advice and make an informed decision regarding your payment or non payment decision.

It would seem very unfair of PN to impose these charges to people who have had their service altered - or in your case not exist at all. However it would seem that the person or persons responsible for taking this decision/stance have their finance hats on and not their customer perception ones.

It would on the face of it appear a very blinkered view, and I'm sure it would be worth the cost of waiving these fees in order to somewhat repair the damage this stance is causing.

Look at how many negative threads have now appeared on here, the register, AG and other publications. This must be doing some form of damage to PN's reputation, and if it were my company it would be all out to stop these articles appearing - if that requied waiving the odd £60 here and there, then so be it.
N/A

if i'm understanding this correctly, waiving the odd £60 here and there would mean paying BT for the customer's activation with no return. in this case it's plusnet's wordsmithing that has confused the issue and it really is a fair charge.

if they did waive the fee everyone would get activated with plusnet and migrate in the first month rather than signing up for their alternative ISP in the first place.
N/A

if i'm understanding this correctly, waiving the odd £60 here and there would mean paying BT for the customer's activation with no return. in this case it's plusnet's wordsmithing that has confused the issue and it really is a fair charge.

if they did waive the fee everyone would get activated with plusnet and migrate in the first month rather than signing up for their alternative ISP in the first place.

I would agree with that point under normal circumstances, but the point here is that they have changed the Terms and Conditions to detrimentally affect the service (for some users) and they are still trying to charge the fee, even though those users would probably not of wanted to migrate had PlusNET not changed the Terms. This is THEM forcing ME to leave, not me leaving through choice trying to scam free activation.

Had I gone with another ISP, I would not have had to pay the activation costs. Yes it would have cost £19.99/month instead of £14.99/month, but as I have been a member less than a month, I would be paying the PlusNET activation ON TOP of the other ISPs 'activation' charges...if you see what I mean?

I suppose the "fair" thing to do would be to de-activate my line and let me go free of charge, clean slate as if I'd never had BB, that way I'm responsible for re-activation and not gaining anything by leaving. But they are thinking with their wallets, and know they won't get the charges back from BT, so are trying to extract it from me for something THEY have done.
N/A

has your activation failed? if you migrate to another ISP you should not be charged activation again.

or are you saying that the higher monthly fee of your alternative ISP takes into account an activation fee which they do not charge to the customer? if so i'm betting that they charge the activation fee if you do not remain with them for 12 months.
N/A

i think i get it now. you're saying that the product you signed up for changed significantly after your signup and during the first month of your service. due to this you feel entitled to migrate, without penalty, to an ISP that will fulfill their promises.

unfortunately i think this is just a situation with no satisfactory solution. there is undoubtedly no mechanism for plusnet to transfer your activation debt to your alternative ISP and to deactivate your line would not put the money back in yours or plusnet's pockets.
N/A

i think i get it now. you're saying that the product you signed up for changed significantly after your signup and during the first month of your service. due to this you feel entitled to migrate, without penalty, to an ISP that will fulfill their promises.

You are not being charged to migrate, you are paying for initial works that have been done, (activating the line for adsl sevice) which plusnet hold on your account
until you either stay for 5 years or leave, at which time basically you need to reimburse plusnet this money, it is completely seperate to the service contract (ie the day to day broadband usage stuff)

It clearly states in the signup process that you have the option to pay this fee either initially or via the deferral scheme,not wanting to sound mean, but you chose the deferred scheme, so you basically put the charge on hold

Charging money for works done is a standard business practices, which all other companies in all other industries follow, i know a lot of work goes into a setting the an account and this is done free of charge (at plusnets end)

Just writing off 60 pounds a time does not make financial sense, what kind of company would do this?
N/A

Just writing off 60 pounds a time does not make financial sense and what other company would do this?

i made exactly this point, but if the ISP or BT provides an unsuitable broadband experience and the customer wishes to cease on the basis of that, should they really be liable to pay £60 for the poor experience?

in the case of migration i've already mentioned that such a policy would be exploited.
N/A

Just writing off 60 pounds a time does not make financial sense and what other company would do this?

i made exactly this point, but equally if the ISP or BT provides an unsuitable broadband experience and the customer wishes to cease on the basis of that, should they really be liable to pay £60 for the poor experience?

That is usually the case,(a refund if an activation fails) but the users line was activated, and apparently to the best possible speed the line could support, so plusnet did keep their end of the bargain

My point is that if you sign up for a contract then you, by law, have to honour that contract (i know this works both ways), plusnet have given people the chance to migrate away for free if they do not like the new T&Cs but again this still does not alter the deferred activation fee monies owed, so unfortunately, plusnet have to retrieve this money as they have incurred the cost on the customers behalf
N/A

which is why i mentioned that in an ideal situation there would be a mechanism to transfer this debt to the new ISP when migrating and conforming to their activation policy. this will just never happen.

obviously this user has found a dearer provider who forgo the activation fee entirely.
N/A

I know this will sound callous but that is hardly plusnets fault what other isps charge

A system like that would be good, in an ideal world, i agree completely, but then it would be a minefield on which isp pays money to other isps for the activation, and it would never work, this is a very competitive industry and no one would agree on this

Most companies still wont issue mac codes, even though there is supposed to be a code of practice

in a months time i bet a lot of the people who have left will realise there mistake, and i think that there is a hardcore group of people on here that are posting constantly that are trying there best to damage plusnets reputation, and a lot of people who dont fully understand what benefits the new systems have overall, are being lead to beleive plusnet are the :twisted:

Also on a similar point, If plusnet didnt encourage free speech then all of these users would have been blocked weeks ago, it just seems its gone from relevant constructive criticism to a plain out flame war with the same point used again and again

Recently how many other isps are issuing similar practices, and most of them are a lot more restrictive
N/A

i know, let's both continue to agree with eachother as aggressively and verbosely as possible, so that this thread becomes irretrievably unreadable Wink