cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A little technical help please?

N/A

Having discovered that I've been maxed in my new house I've been trying to figure out what that means for my connection and have generated these stats (using my D-Link G604T router)

Sorry the formatting's all over the place! The order of the numbers is:

First - normal connections
Second - all other equipment unplugged
Third - different filter (everything else still unplugged)
Fourth - BT master test socket (different filter)
Fifth - BT master test socket (original filter)
Sixth - Back to normal connections

Upstream Rate: 448 448 448 448 448 448
Downstream Rate: 6,848 6,848 7,200 8,128 8,128 7,264
US Margin : 25 27 26 27 26 28
DS Margin : 6 4 5 6 6 6

US Attenuation: 55 55 55 54 54 55
DS Attenuation: 46 46 45 46 46 46

Path Mode : Interleaved Interleaved Interleaved Interleaved Interleaved Interleaved

ADSL Guide speedtest (PlusNet's is all over the place!)

Downstream: 2,395.5 1,756.6 2,309.8 689.1 1,959 2,226.9
Upstream: 373.9 372.3 372.5 372.2 234.4 372.6

Time: 1738 1742 1749 1759 1803 1811

The connection status page on Plusnet shows my stable rate as 5,000 and I'm well outside my 10 day settling period.

Can anyone who understands this sort of thing tell me if there's anything I should be worried about here? It confuses me!

Thanks

Craig
11 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Craig,

I don't think there's anything to worry about here. Based on the attenuation figure you're on quite a long line so you're getting a pretty good sync speed.

I think the main thing this highlights is the difference in how the wiring's all set up with the sync speed changing from 6,848 to 8128kbps at the test socket.

So long as the line is stable and not losing sync then it'll probably sync around the 6.5- 7Mbps most of the time.

The throughput at peak time isn't too bad, you'll likely see a bit more once the platform's balanced properly and also faster off peak. I'd also suspect that the BRAS may increase a little maybe to 5500kbps although 5000kbps is probably about right.

All in all, as I say there's nothing to worry about you've got a fairly but good quality line and unless the sync starts dropping it should all be fine.
aetos
Grafter

Dave,

I noticed Craigs line is interlaced..

Is this a default PN setting ??

Would these be more effective as FAST given teh good SN figures

MArk
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Yeah, interleaving is now on by default. After discussion with BT a month or two back when we suspended the upgrades we found that putting interleaving on by default significantly reduced the fault volumes.

Craig's line does look like a good line, so interleaving off could go either way. Interleaving might the the factor that's keeping it stable, or it may be making no real difference to the stability. Personally I would say leave it on, just based on the high attenuation, but there's probably no harm in trying it off, we can always put it back on again.
N/A

Thanks very much for your help - I thought I was quite technical until all this stuff came up (and carried on up over my head)!

The line does appear very stable (though sometimes slow) but there have been a couple of times it hasn't connected straight away. I'm not a heavy user though so it's no real problem at the moment.

I don't have an interleaving button in connection settings - shall I raise a ticket and give a try with it off?

Thanks again!

Craig
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

I've placed an order to turn interleaving off, which will complete tomorrow. Let us know what effect this has, and if it causes problems we will switch it back on for you.
N/A

Hi new customer could i have interleaving turned of also to see if it makes a diffrence thanks
Mand
Grafter

Hi

I've placed an order for you also, due tomorrow. Smiley
N/A

Thanks thats great :lol:
N/A

If i placed an order to have interleaving turned off, and it had a negative effect, how long would it take to have it put on again?
I am currently on a beta testing team for NetKarPro and would like my ping as low as possible, but obviously not at the cost of stability.
Mand
Grafter

Hi

Each order takes a maximum of 48 hours to complete.
N/A

Thanks for the info Mand Smiley