cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A happy Max regrade!

N/A

A happy Max regrade!

With so many upsetting MaxDSL experiences, a positive on the Max ugrade may reassure some? And there's a useful learning point on modems in it too.

I was Max'ed on 9/06, followed by a hellish week of constant disconnections. Speeds were good for the line (higher than the BT guesstimator) but the SNR was hovering between 5 and 6 and any fall from 6 resulted in a connection loss. The CRC errors counter ran into the 10's of thousands in no time at all.

Yesterday morning I replaced my 3 year old Voyager105 modem with a new Voyager105 (going for £11 at Morgans). Result: Synch speed shot up by 1Mb, SNR went up to 9, CRC counter stopped running like a clock on amphetamines.

A while later, the connection dropped once more. When it came back I noticed that interleaving had been switched on. Don't know if the switch hadn't been triggered earlier because BT's monitoring equipment couldn't get any sense out of the signals from the old modemHuh Or maybe it was just a coincidence.

From then on, not a single disconnection, everything ran as smoothly as with the old 2Mb connection. A few times I was able to download at >550 KB/s, though most of the times it was at the speed the various servers allowed (not a lot). SNR stayed fixed on 9 until I switched off the PC last night.

This morning when I connected again, Synch speed had gone up (rom 5.7 to 6.6Mb and the SNR down to 6, but everything is as stable as yesterday. Speed tests give 4.36 to 4.5 Mb, much lower than synch speed, probably because of limitations of an Usb modem and not having tweaked anything yet. NetMeter tells me the highest download speed so far was 620KB/s. And no more disconnections ----- bliss!!!

Interesting thing is, the old modem had worked perfectly with a 2Mb DSL connection, the logs never ever showed any obvious fault. To all intents and purposes, there was nothing at all wrong with it (though it'd suffered a few bangs from me or cat tripping on cable and lived through a few thunderstorms and power cuts), but it was obviously not good enough for MaxDSL - these little plasticky boxes are too flimsy and the electronics probably have a very short life span. I now know!

Interleaving seems quite a good thing too. I'm not a gamer so latency isn't a problem here, but the pings only went up from the upper 10's to the 30's, this doesn't seem very serious, or is it? The end effect is a higher speed and probably much more stability.

The email from PN telling me I've been upgraded hasn't arrived yet! I'm sure it's because BT haven't yet reported the upgrade back to PN.

The whole of this week long process happened without any intervention from PN at all, all seems to be done on BT's end without any communications with the ISP. Not much CSC could have done for me in this case, even if I had raised a ticket ---- sorry!!!--- "question"!

Another interesting thing is that the week before the upgrade I noticed several BT vans in the area. BT vans are very rare here, only come out after storms or when they're doing work at the exchanges...when you see a BT van, you know things are about to happen!...I suspect that BT are following their own upgrades schedule and more or less ignoring the ISP priorities and probably having a good laugh at any queue jump requests!

...so perhaps not all the blame lies with PN? ... Thanks for the upgrade, anyway!
15 REPLIES
N/A

A happy Max regrade!

My regrade has gone well also. Not sure when it happened as I never received any notification.

After a week of speeds between 3.1 and 6.1 mb I now have a stable rate of 6.1mb which has been like this for a week now. Never had any disconnecting but this may be due to my SNR being between 13 and 14.
Highlighted
N/A

A happy Max regrade!

I must admit my line has settled down a lot since the beginning, i now just get a few disconnections a day, intermittent like originally mentioned instead of every 10 mins to 30 seconds.

My SNR has gone up by ~2dB during the day so it can vary from 6-8dB during the day, but night still goes between 0-4dB and thats when i get problems.

hopefully everything will be sorted as yours is Smiley
N/A

A happy Max regrade!

my regrade went well as well, never even noticed any difference no disconecctions or anything, i only realised it was done because i happened to do a speed test and to my suprise it was showing 4mb Cheesy
Community Veteran

A happy Max regrade!

Can all the people who posted in this thread state what router/modem they are using?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

A happy Max regrade!

i am using a SMC7904WBRA ADSL/ADSL2 Barricade 54 Mbps Wireless G Router

if you want anymore info on it i've included a link

http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=140&osCsid=97efb01b69315687a515be7a54b8...
N/A

A happy Max regrade!

I am using a Netgear DG834G v2 router with the latest firmware.
N/A

A happy Max regrade!

I have absolutly no idea when mine happened as I was about to opt out but Plusnet must have beaten me to it.Only found out out one day when I had reason to check some readings on my router which I do not do very often as it means I have to fire up Firefox as Safari will not access the router and saw that my downstream rate was 8128 Kbps and my upstream rate was 832 Kbps, I must admit that with contention etc I very rarely see those speeds but it is a definate improvement on my old 2meg connection....... merely showing how painless my upgrade was and had I not wanted to look inside my router that day I probably still would not know.

For whoever was asking my router is a Lynksys WAG354G with Firmware Version : 1.01.05
OldDave
Grafter

A happy Max regrade!

I was upgrade on the 9 Jun - my figures before on 2Mb
Downstream Attenuation 27 - 28
Downstream Margin 27
now Attenuation unchanged and DS Margin 6 to 8

I am about 1Km from exchange
No disconnections or slow downs since then
Speed tests varied between 2064 (peak 18:00 ish) and 6654 (07:19)

Router D-Link DSL-G604T
N/A

A happy Max regrade!

im using the Linksys AG241

and as i can show you here, sometimes my line stats can go shocking, even during the day

DSL Path Mode: FAST
Downstream Rate: 7008 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 1 db
Upstream Margin: 21 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 46
Upstream Line Attenuation: 29

Ive done everything i can, its not disconnected at the minute, but in the last 5000 seconds (too lazy to work h m out) ive had 80,000 errors, surpisingly tho no synch drops.
Community Veteran

A happy Max regrade!

Mine's settled down too after over a week of ups and downs. Not as good as some here but the stable rate is now showing as 2500, having been on 1500 earlier, so a bit faster than my previously rock-solid 2MBs connection. My router connection speed is currently a little over 4000 but that's with a noise margin of 10+ db. Sometimes it's between 5000 and 6000 or even more but with a lower noise margin.

I'm just under a kilometer and a half from the exchange as the crow flies, so probably more than that by underground cable.

My router is a Netgear DG834GT, bought specially (at an excellent 'returned goods' bargain price from a reputable company!) to monitor the MaxDSL changeover as my old bridge type modem didn't give access to stats of any sort.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
passer
Grafter

A happy Max regrade!

saw that my downstream rate was 8128 Kbps and my upstream rate was 832 Kbps

Isn't that LLU, rather than MaxDSL?
N/A

A happy Max regrade!

I would be very suprised if it was,because I doubt very much that anyone is going to be in a rush to unbundle my exchange.But just did a double check at 1803hrs today 21st June and here are my router readings

Downstream Rate : 8128 Kbps
Upstream Rate : 832 Kbps
Downstream Margin : 10 db
Upstream Margin : 13 db
Downstream Line Attenuation : 13 Upstream Line Attenuation : 8

So if it is either LLU or Maxdsl I am happy enough :-) But like I said contention is quite heavy and I don't really see those speeds my best readings are in the early hours of the morning these are fairly typical results from the Plusnet Speed test

21-06-2006 18:09:01 3585.1
21-06-2006 04:13:20 6348.7
ID
Grafter

A happy Max regrade!

saw that my downstream rate was 8128 Kbps and my upstream rate was 832 Kbps

Nope

Business & certain packages have the extra upload speed. at 832kb/s. as long as your line can handle it which most should on upload.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DLink G604T Firmware v1.00B02T02.UK.20050815
DL 8128
UL 832
passer
Grafter

A happy Max regrade!

Business & certain packages have the extra upload speed. at 832kb/s. as long as your line can handle it which most should on upload.

Ahh - didn't know that - I stand corrected - apologies.